'20-'21 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/29/2020 at 8:15 AM, IUFLA said:

The birds flying over the McRicketts' house this morning...

cheap.PNG.170acdb59acab67f3709b7bf359b98a5.PNG

Late to the party. Salary dump and obvious decision because of the cost overruns the Ricketts family has taken on in Wrigleyville....just dump salaries. Theo knew what was coming and left $10M on the table to get out of there. Tough couple years coming. At this point I'd say dump them all and reload for 2022 or 2023.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Late to the party. Salary dump and obvious decision because of the cost overruns the Ricketts family has taken on in Wrigleyville....just dump salaries. Theo knew what was coming and left $10M on the table to get out of there. Tough couple years coming. At this point I'd say dump them all and reload for 2022 or 2023.

Is this what Ross signed up for?

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

First time manager sadly doesn't have much say in it. In a strange way it helps alleviate the pressure off of him. Venom in Cub world is directed at ownership for the future.

That's the thing about Chicago sports teams (at least the ones I root for)...large market teams that want to act like they have small market money...

For years the Cardinals (small market) and the Packers (small market)have been handing the Cubs and Bears their collective asses when it comes to team ownership/management. The Cubs have to start acting like the Dodgers and the Yankees. Spend some dough and always contend. 

The Bears needed new ownership the day Muggs Halas died. It's the McCaskey's main income source, and they want to take in as much profit as possible every year.

I wish both franchises would sell to owners who are more driven by success than money.

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's the thing about Chicago sports teams (at least the ones I root for)...large market teams that want to act like they have small market money...

For years the Cardinals (small market) and the Packers (small market)have been handing the Cubs and Bears their collective asses when it comes to team ownership/management. The Cubs have to start acting like the Dodgers and the Yankees. Spend some dough and always contend. 

The Bears needed new ownership the day Muggs Halas died. It's the McCaskey's main income source, and they want to take in as much profit as possible every year.

I wish both franchises would sell to owners who are more driven by success than money.

All day long. 

The Cubs moves this past week and what the tea leaves are saying screams small market and just doesn't have to be that way. Bears ownership has always been a joke but I thought the Ricketts/Cubs turned the corner 10 years ago. Guess not...or at least not for a year or two. 

I know 70% of Cubs revenue comes from gameday sales. I know $3M bodies didn't get into Wrigley last year. But when you buy a team for $900M or so and that asset has appreciated to $3.5 B or inside of 10 years....$ and penny pinching moves never should happen. Ever. This was a Tampa move...or some of the other smaller market NL teams. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Like a lot of Bears fans...I have been hoping the Bears sell the team for most of my life.

I don't know what Rickets deal is...he claims he is a fan and wants to win, but apparently not as much as maximizing profits.

On 12/30/2020 at 3:25 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

You can always join the dark side and cheer for the redbirds if you’d like. Always room on the bandwagon. 

You have a better chance of catching me rooting for Purdue basketball (if playing UK, B10/ACC Challenge) than you have of me rooting for St. Louis.  I would root for the Russian National team if they were playing the Cardinals in an exhibition game.   

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You have a better chance of catching me rooting for Purdue basketball (if playing UK, B10/ACC Challenge) than you have of me rooting for St. Louis.  I would root for the Russian National team if they were playing the Cardinals in an exhibition game.   

Why such the hatred for the Cards?

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

The Dodgers 

1305714042_giphy(7).gif.37f449c5599ad7585788958e55f16964.gif

The Cubs 

452762581_tenor(5).gif.7a5c770b3f2df07359a53901badb3c4e.gif

Exactly. I haven't been this disappointed in the Cubs in years given the resources, talent that we have/had on the field....maybe some of the turn of the century teams ticked me off more but this is telling us fans to take it while the Ricketts recover losses. 

This is a Pirates or Rays or shoot even Reds move pure and simple. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Exactly. I haven't been this disappointed in the Cubs in years given the resources, talent that we have/had on the field....maybe some of the turn of the century teams ticked me off more but this is telling us fans to take it while the Ricketts recover losses. 

This is a Pirates or Rays or shoot even Reds move pure and simple. 

Rickets are going to use the success of 2016 for years I fear to justify their cheapness...."We brought a world series to the North Side so you should not question our cheapness...blah blah blah"

Archived