'20-'21 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

HOF pitcher Don Sutton has passed away.  

Was never a Sutton fan since he pitched for the Dodgers.  But, all of these baseball players deaths are hitting home nowadays.  These are guys I grew up watching, and out idolizing.

Of all the sports out there, major league baseball was the one I worshipped growing up. Over time, I grew to love basketball as well, especially college and high school.  I enjoy football, but am not passionate about it.  

Baseball, though.  It will always be my first love and the sport that I feel most attached to.  When I got a dollar back in the mid-70's, it was spent on baseball cards.  Still have them.  

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Was never a Sutton fan since he pitched for the Dodgers.  But, all of these baseball players deaths are hitting home nowadays.  These are guys I grew up watching, and out idolizing.

Of all the sports out there, major league baseball was the one I worshipped growing up. Over time, I grew to love basketball as well, especially college and high school.  I enjoy football, but am not passionate about it.  

Baseball, though.  It will always be my first love and the sport that I feel most attached to.  When I got a dollar back in the mid-70's, it was spent on baseball cards.  Still have them.  

I think baseball is a sport kids can identify with and think someday they could play in the MLB.  Most of us knew by the time we were 12 that we had no shot at making it big in football or basketball.  I was thinking how you know I think that things were better when we were young.  I think it has to do when you are a kid you looked up to players because they were older than you and hope to be them someday. Even when you are very young you looked up to the high school players who played basketball or football.  Today we are way older than the players so we don't look at them the same and probably are jealous of them.

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think baseball is a sport kids can identify with and think someday they could play in the MLB.  Most of us knew by the time we were 12 that we had no shot at making it big in football or basketball.  I was thinking how you know I think that things were better when we were young.  I think it has to do when you are a kid you looked up to players because they were older than you and hope to be them someday. Even when you are very young you looked up to the high school players who played basketball or football.  Today we are way older than the players so we don't look at them the same and probably are jealous of them.

In my day, baseball was the first organized sport that youth played.  It is not that way anymore.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

In my day, baseball was the first organized sport that youth played.  It is not that way anymore.

I started playing organized baseball at age 7.  Back then there were no organized basketball for young kids.  I was lucky my elementary school had 5th and 6th grade basketball teams.

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Exactly. Saw that during 2020 and now Jan of 2021 there have been 9 Hall of Fame players and Tommy LaSorda pass away. Could have a new Field of Dreams

Just now, IU Scott said:

I started playing organized baseball at age 7.  Back then there were no organized basketball for young kids.  I was lucky my elementary school had 5th and 6th grade basketball teams.

Yeah, same with me on baseball.

We had little league basketball for grades 4-6.

School basketball started in the 6th grade.

No football until junior high.

And no soccer at all.

Different story today.

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this Hank Aaron passed away this morning. As a kid we used to visit relatives in West Palm Beach where Braves had spring training games. Got his autograph. For the baseball fans it was like meeting a living legend. RIP Hank. 

My son just texted me the news.  Man oh man, these are tough to hear.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Really is. Just saw this stat. Even if you took away his 755 HR's....he'd still have over 3000 hits. To do what he did. In the South....absolute legend. 

Never met him.  But, from everything I've seen and heard, he was just as good a person as he was a player.  

16 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Looks like the Yanks signed Pirates Jameson Taillon, trading 4 prospects for him. Interesting to see how he does after TJ surgery and playing in the Big Apple.....

Yajure (#15), Contreras (#19) and Smith (#21) were all ranked on MLB.com’s list of the top 30 prospects in the New York farm system.

No one was elected into the HOF this year.

I just don't care how they vote for the HOF.  I think each player should have just one chance to be elected. They should not regulate how many can go in one class.  If you get voted in that is fine but if you don't then you shouldn't be on another ballot. No me you are either good enough or you are not to get elected.  Your resume does not get any better the longer you are on the ballot. To me the HOF is for the very best if the best and not the hall if the very good.

Archived