The state of the NBA (and other major professional sports)

FKIM01

On 10/10/2020 at 3:53 PM, dgambill said:

As for NFL and NBA we don’t make the field bigger or goal taller because guys are faster and bigger.

They actually have altered dimensions to change the game...the NFL use to have the goal posts on on the goal line, but when Tom Dempsey kicked his then record 63 yard field goal from his own 37 yard line (and the fact soccer style kickers were coming into vogue and routinely making 50+yarders) they moved them to the end line in the end zone...

George Mikan and subsequently Wilt Chamberlain so dominated the NBA they widened the lane (from 6 feet to 12 feet for Mikan and 12 feet to the present 16 feet for Wilt) so there has been precedent...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I agree with the slowness of the games, but in imo, what is killing all professional sports in regards to next generations is the decision by major networks to cater to the Pacific time zone by starting games so late. 

When a playoff game or national championship game doesn't start until 8;30-9;00 EST, with the prospect that it ends after midnight, how can kids get connected? Even adults who have to get up for work the next day have to make a decision to either sacrifice sleep and be less productive, or watch the game.

The Pacific time zone represents 16.6% of the US population. The Eastern, almost 48% and the Central 29%. Starting the games an hour earlier makes a lot of sense to me.

I completely agree.  I mentioned it earlier post that i almost never finish a playoff game since they start so late and end well after midnight.  Its too bad too, since there have been some amazing finishes to games that i just didn't stay up for.

Start games earlier, and shorten them and their viewership will increase

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They actually have altered dimensions to change the game...the NFL use to have the goal posts on on the goal line, but when Tom Dempsey kicked his then record 63 yard field goal from his own 37 yard line (and the fact soccer style kickers were coming into vogue and routinely making 50+yarders) they moved them to the end line in the end zone...

George Mikan and subsequently Wilt Chamberlain so dominated the NBA they widened the lane (from 6 feet to 12 feet for Mikan and 12 feet to the present 16 feet for Wilt) so there has been precedent...

I don't mind the field size, although i wish they were all the same field dimension, ie corners and center being the same length in all fields.  I agree that baseball is better when home runs are being generated.  They can do that easily by tweaking the ball slightly like they have from time to time.  The best baseball i can remember is the home run race between McGuire and Sosa.  Everyone watched baseball then. 

On a completely different note, if we're talking about making baseball better, we need better umpires.  I know its hard to get them right when the ball is moving at 92mph and dropping 18 inches but there are games were its just plain terrible.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

To a degree maybe...but as I pointed out, MLB set a record for HRs in 2019, yet interest still seems to be waning...

Unfortunately, it's become all home runs and strike outs. More than 50% of runs in the playoffs have been from home runs. In the Rays-Yankees series it was 76%. It was noted last night during the Rays-Astros game that there hasn't been a sac bunt so far in the playoffs.

Completely agree that baseball games are too long.

On basketball, it's pretty apparent that this season's playoffs will be a ratings disaster, but I'm far more curious about how the ratings behave post-pandemic.  I personally don't see me really ramping up my baseball/football/basketball watching even after it's over and I think at least part of it is age-related.  I simply don't have the patience to watch long contests anymore which is probably why I watch as much MMA as I do anything else.  Most contests are maximum 15 minutes with championships extended to a 25-minute maximum and the action can be fast and furious with many contests not lasting beyond 5 minutes.

Beyond that, it's more than age when it comes to football, basketball and to a lesser extent, baseball.  Many of the players are simply not likeable to a large swath of the American public.  They are spoiled rich brats that like to tell everyone else how we should think and feel, while ignoring their own personal imperfections.  I'm not going to single any one athlete out, but the more some of these millionaires grandstand in press conferences and push their narrative on the field/court and/or social media, the less I like them and the less interested I am in watching and supporting them.

38 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Completely agree that baseball games are too long.

On basketball, it's pretty apparent that this season's playoffs will be a ratings disaster, but I'm far more curious about how the ratings behave post-pandemic.  I personally don't see me really ramping up my baseball/football/basketball watching even after it's over and I think at least part of it is age-related.  I simply don't have the patience to watch long contests anymore which is probably why I watch as much MMA as I do anything else.  Most contests are maximum 15 minutes with championships extended to a 25-minute maximum and the action can be fast and furious with many contests not lasting beyond 5 minutes.

Beyond that, it's more than age when it comes to football, basketball and to a lesser extent, baseball.  Many of the players are simply not likeable to a large swath of the American public.  They are spoiled rich brats that like to tell everyone else how we should think and feel, while ignoring their own personal imperfections.  I'm not going to simple any one athlete out, but the more some of these millionaires grandstand in press conferences and push their narrative on the field/court and/or social media, the less I like them and the less interested I am in watching and supporting them.

Its weird but the older i get the less i care about sports.  I am 46yo and haven't watched 1 baseball game this year.  I have watched 1 NBA game and a couple football games.  I used to watch any college basketball game that was on each night or have it in the background.  Now i am not even that upset if i don't get to watch IU play.  Changing priorities i guess. 

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Its weird but the older i get the less i care about sports.  I am 46yo and haven't watched 1 baseball game this year.  I have watched 1 NBA game and a couple football games.  I used to watch any college basketball game that was on each night or have it in the background.  Now i am not even that upset if i don't get to watch IU play.  Changing priorities i guess. 

I am 50 and still watch sports especially college basketball which I can watch about any game.  In other sports I am hit and miss and mainly just watch my favorite team(Reds, Pacers)  I tried Saturday to watch college football games and after about 15 minutes I start chanel surfing because most of the games I lost interest.  I will watch IU football from start to finish but no other college games.  During this year with the pandemic and being bed ridden for a month I watched more NBA and MLB games than I normally do.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Yep as you get older the priorities certainly change.  Kids and grandkids events will become much more important than any college or pro game.  And speaking from experience with watching my own kids games they are priceless.

As for the pro vs college thing... I struggle to watch pro sports.  If I do watch its probably because someone talked me into playing in a Fantasy league(and even then I'm not really watching the games so much as watching the stats.  I do enjoy college football and basketball so much more.  Maybe its the atmosphere with the bands, traditions, etc... that just make them more special.  I can't wait to see IU football and bball start back.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I'm in my 30's and single with no kids. I think for me, it's about seeing hierarchies and environments in which my teams either can't or won't adapt to. IU football is never going to contend for Big Ten titles, and is only going to beat OSU, PSU or Michigan once every few decades (if that). IU basketball has reached a point where we're just happy if the team acts interested in winning a game. The Pacers are never going to contend for NBA titles unless they drastically alter the way they do things. The Colts are just another team until they find a legitimate QB, and that could take years, even a generation or more. 

Having teams that lack identities and true leaders doesn't help either. Reggie Miller gave Pacer fans a sense of pride, having a team that was tough and could perform under pressure. The Colts under Manning were feared by everyone, even Bill Belichick. People took our basketball program seriously under Knight, and knew we were tough and would play well. Now, all of these teams are just...meh. And so am I. 

To me that the thing that has dampened my excitement for sports has been men tioned before like the over saturation of sports on TV.  It is also the 24/7 sports cycle to where networks has to fine content to fill their time slots.  Alot of those shows are not what older sports fans like some of us on here likes and it has turned me off of some networks.  Also to me social media has really hurt my enthusiasim when it comes to sports because it gives so many outlets for negative fans to spew their hatred.  In the 80's if your team lost you were upset and for me it lasted awhile but we did not have a whole lot of interaction with others to see their view point is.

I get some critiques after your team loses but today the veniom we see on message boards or other social media outlets makes it hard for at least me to get excited about sports.  It just takes my enthusiasm away and what is dumb on my part is that I don't have to click on amy of these outlets.

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me that the thing that has dampened my excitement for sports has been men tioned before like the over saturation of sports on TV.  It is also the 24/7 sports cycle to where networks has to fine content to fill their time slots.  Alot of those shows are not what older sports fans like some of us on here likes and it has turned me off of some networks.  Also to me social media has really hurt my enthusiasim when it comes to sports because it gives so many outlets for negative fans to spew their hatred.  In the 80's if your team lost you were upset and for me it lasted awhile but we did not have a whole lot of interaction with others to see their view point is.

I get some critiques after your team loses but today the veniom we see on message boards or other social media outlets makes it hard for at least me to get excited about sports.  It just takes my enthusiasm away and what is dumb on my part is that I don't have to click on amy of these outlets.

A coupe of examples for me is that 72 hours ago and if you went to the Colts board you would see a lot of excitment.  today it is everyone sucks and people needs to be fired.  Yes they played bad but they just lost in a good game on the road against a 4-1 team.  You would have seen many talk about how the Colts are 3-1 and how great of a roster that ballard as put on the field and how well reich is doing.  Today ballard is terrible and reich is hoorible and they should lose their job.

On the Reds board after they won 11 out of the last 14 games and made the playoff it was all how great they did to over come the slow start.  After 2 playoff games it is every player should be traded or not resigned and all the coaches and management needs fired.  I get not like losing but some of the fans or so called fans just go over the top with their reaction.  I know some of those people are just on the boards to troll and get under peoples skin but some are nuts.

Just now, rico said:

Television has ruined sports.

I wouldn't go that far but it has made the game where it is not a must see every day.  When you had 4 channels and not many options it was like a treat to see a game on TV  As a IU football fan we were lucky to see 1 game on TV before ESPN or the BTN so it has helped there.  I know I probably is the only one to think this but I hated listening to the football games on the radio.  I like Fischer doing basketball but I just did not like how he called a football game.

6 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I completely agree.  I mentioned it earlier post that i almost never finish a playoff game since they start so late and end well after midnight.  Its too bad too, since there have been some amazing finishes to games that i just didn't stay up for.

Start games earlier, and shorten them and their viewership will increase

I like the late games and live in the Central time zone.  Hate having to get home for early start times.  That said, Itypically DVR them and fast forward thru the BS commercials, halftime and video tape reviews.

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

A coupe of examples for me is that 72 hours ago and if you went to the Colts board you would see a lot of excitment.  today it is everyone sucks and people needs to be fired.  Yes they played bad but they just lost in a good game on the road against a 4-1 team.  You would have seen many talk about how the Colts are 3-1 and how great of a roster that ballard as put on the field and how well reich is doing.  Today ballard is terrible and reich is hoorible and they should lose their job.

On the Reds board after they won 11 out of the last 14 games and made the playoff it was all how great they did to over come the slow start.  After 2 playoff games it is every player should be traded or not resigned and all the coaches and management needs fired.  I get not like losing but some of the fans or so called fans just go over the top with their reaction.  I know some of those people are just on the boards to troll and get under peoples skin but some are nuts.

I quit following teams on social media for this reason. Way too much back and forth on a daily basis. The people who complained about people complaining got to be more annoying than the people who were actually complaining. 

28 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I quit following teams on social media for this reason. Way too much back and forth on a daily basis. The people who complained about people complaining got to be more annoying than the people who were actually complaining. 

Break out the unicorns.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, it’s 10:00 and the top of the 4th in the Rays-Stros game. At this rate, the game will end at 1:00 a.m.

Tell me how this is good for the sport?

Not directing this at you, but it's interesting we have fans clamoring for rule changes in baseball for the fans enjoyment, but often time in other sports when that happens people complain. 

For instance, I think Scott would get rid of the shot clock and three point line. 

Archived