Running back room update

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm really interested to see Spegal play.  He might not have the ceiling a lot of Power 5 programs look for, but his floor seems to be pretty high.  I think he could be a steal as a walk on.

Yeah it seems highly likely that we will be seeing one of those videos where Allen gives him a scholarship sometime in the next year or two.

since when does yards per carry = elite speed.  If you want to look at guys from the same time with elite speed....Joey Galloway, Terry Glenn, Kijana Carter.  If those guys got in the open you were not gonna catch them.  Alex averaged 5.6 that year in large part because he hit holes the way you're supposed to.

6 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

since when does yards per carry = elite speed.  If you want to look at guys from the same time with elite speed....Joey Galloway, Terry Glenn, Kijana Carter.  If those guys got in the open you were not gonna catch them.  Alex averaged 5.6 that year in large part because he hit holes the way you're supposed to.

Ok well two of those are WRs... so idk how those compare. Uncle and Dad have had season tickets since 1975... Coleman is the only faster RB we've had (and he would be at most schools). 

I'm watching highlights. Smith could burrrrrn. If you want to argue semantics, I really don't care. 

Speed is not the only factor for yards per carry but it can be a big factor.  From a math perspective alone, if you break some chunk plays off, you’re going to bring your average up.  Its hard to average 5.6 without some chunk plays in there to offset the 2-3 yard gains that are common.  

If you watch the trenches, even when the line can make the hole, there’s almost always at least one defender in the front six or seven who is unaccounted for.  It’s just how the numbers work.  (Take the qb out and the runner has the ball so you’ve got 5-6 blockers against 6-7 defenders plus receivers running patterns).  

Now does your back have an extra gear to (a) beat a defender one on one and (b) especially can he pull away and get chunk yards where it’s hard for the safeties and corners to get a beat on him.  Point (a) can be done with quickness, power, speed, vision etc but point (b) is a pure speed issue because it’s hard to pull away for a chunk play if you can’t run fast.  

For the most part, receiver speed and and running back speed are different animals.  I wouldn’t compare Terry Glenn with Brett Law.  Let’s see Terry take the rock twenty times through the trenches.  He’d never survive.  He’s got a different skill set which is to run fly and post patterns.  If you want to take it to an extreme, sure you can find very high level talents like the Tony Dorsetts of the world who could fly at running back but that’s not what anyone here is really saying when it comes to Law.  We know he’s not in Canton.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived