Gregg Marshall trouble

During its six-month investigation, Stadium contacted 36 former and current members of the Wichita State basketball program – 26 players and 10 assistant coaches who have played for or coached with Marshall at some point during his 13 years with the Shockers.

“He’s a maniac, a bully,” said a former assistant. “He disrespects people, brings up personal stuff, family, girlfriends.”

Among the allegations Stadium uncovered:

• Marshall punched Morris in the head during a practice in October of 2015. “I love my teammates, the city and Wichita State,” said Morris, who played at Wichita State from 2014-18. “But if I could go back to that day when he punched me, I would have left.”
  • Marshall choked Lindsted, then a Shockers assistant coach, at a practice during the 2016-17 season, sources said. Lindsted, now an assistant at Minnesota, declined comment.
  • Marshall taunted junior forward Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler, who is of Native American descent, “to get back on his horse” and made “Indian howling noises” while in practice during the 2018-19 season.
  • Marshall body-shamed a former player by lifting his shirt up during a practice in the 2015-16 season, grabbing the player’s stomach and then mocking the player’s girth.

Of the 36 players and coaches Stadium interviewed, only Morris and former Wichita State guard Ty Taylor agreed to be identified for this report. The remaining individuals, who corroborated the allegations against Marshall, said they feared retribution and possible community backlash because of Marshall’s support and power in Wichita.

Stadium as well

I was off the Marshall bandwagon after he went berserk during a summer tour in Canada...don't remember the year but I concluded after watching the video that he was out of control.

I've made peace with coach Knight's legacy but man oh man does Marshall ever look like a modern-day Knight and you just can't act that way today.  Dude has serious anger-management issues.

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I was off the Marshall bandwagon after he went berserk during a summer tour in Canada...don't remember the year but I concluded after watching the video that he was out of control.

I've made peace with coach Knight's legacy but man oh man does Marshall ever look like a modern-day Knight and you just can't act that way today.  Dude has serious anger-management issues.

Never been a Marshall guy and this type of stuff happens probably more often than we know. Either someone at Wichita St is trying to find a way to get out of that contract with him "for cause" allowing them to move on from the loot they pay him.....or on flip side if this behavior was so well known and the university covered it up they should be terminated too.

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Same. He was completely out of control in that Canada exhibition game. No way IU would want to, or should want to, bring in a coach like that.

On 10/11/2020 at 9:53 AM, milehiiu said:

Off topic.  But same school.  Hard to believe it has been 50 years, since this happened :

Wichita State Football Team Plane Crash 1970 

What the scene of the 1970 Wichita State plane crash looks like today 

Thank you for sharing. That was well produced video about something I never knew happened. 

What is there to really say about Marshall at this point. He's probably done at WSU.  I like his coaching but no one at a big time school other than maybe in the SEC would give a shot. 

When he gets relieved of his duties who might be on their radar.  It seems to be a solid coaching job. 

Do Alford or Sean Miller want to move back East or to the Midwest. 

Miller has a bit of baggage but seems to have gotten thru it. To get away from the Zona drama seems Miller was maybe researching Pitt or maybe it was other way around.  Athletic had an article that Xavier could tempt him.  Probably all smoke.

Nevada seems a pretty job and Alford seems to have settled in out West but WSU seems a step up. 

I expect there are others.

47 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

What is there to really say about Marshall at this point. He's probably done at WSU.  I like his coaching but no one at a big time school other than maybe in the SEC would give a shot. 

When he gets relieved of his duties who might be on their radar.  It seems to be a solid coaching job. 

Miller has a bit of baggage but seems to have gotten thru it. To get away from the Zona drama seems Miller was maybe researching Pitt or maybe it was other way around.  Athletic had an article that Xavier could tempt him.  Probably all smoke.

Nevada seems a pretty job and Alford seems to have settled in out West but WSU seems a step up. 

I don't see Steve Alford leaving Nevada anytime soon. And unlike at Iowa and UCLA... the Nevada fans really like Steve.

Why Steve Alford could make Nevada the final stop in his coaching career

56 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

The last time the Shockers had a coaching search they picked a guy from Winthrop.

Obviously, I don't have any first hand knowledge of what occurred. But if the worst thing he said to a player was "get back on your horse", then this PC crap has gone luney tunes! Kids talk smack everyday far worse than this. Hell, I give my friends more $hit than this all the time.

Nowhere did I see he called a black guy a "N-word". 

Physical abuse is something completely different. If he's punching guys like Woody Hayes, then yeah, he needs to go. But verbal stuff?...give me a break. That's part of making someone mentally tough.

Archived