What are some of your favorite iconic out of town restaurants ?

milehiiu

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

OK, it technically is a Chick-Fil-A, but Truett's Grill in Morrow, Georgia (just south of Atlanta) has become a staple of our on our trips to Florida.  It sports a 50's diner theme.   It has the full Chick-fil-A menu, but has other menu items as well, including an excellent milkshake and ice cream dessert selection.

Truett's Grill | Chick-fil-A

You should stop some time in Fayetteville at Truett’s Luau

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much of your assessment of a restaurant for a list like this is the quality of the food versus how much is the atmosphere?  Does a place on a tropical beach with killer views at sunset, but average food, rate higher than a hole in the wall in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan that makes the best cheeseburger you've ever eaten?

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

How much of your assessment of a restaurant for a list like this is the quality of the food versus how much is the atmosphere?  Does a place on a tropical beach with killer views at sunset, but average food, rate higher than a hole in the wall in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan that makes the best cheeseburger you've ever eaten?

Very good point. My favorite meal/dining experience was at A&B Lobster House in Key West.

Some of the best food I've ever tasted was breakfast at a dive in Little Havana area of Miami and bar/breakfast joint in Dubuque, Iowa. There's also a surf shop at the corner of 15th and Balboa in Newport Beach that to this day made the best breakfast burrito I've ever tasted. They only are open mornings until 9 or 10 to get the surfers refueled.

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Atmosphere means pretty much zero to me...Lived near Destin for years, and all of the restaurants had a breathtaking view, but we'd only frequent the ones with good food.

Took my wife to a trendy and highly recommended place in Naperville "Catch 35" for our 25th anniversary...The food was mediocre at best, and the portions were microscopic...Their "Lobster Bisque" ($12 a cup)  was kinda lobster flavored broth...Never went back...

On the way home, my wife, who loves seafood, asked me what I thought..."I think I'd like to stop by Old Country Buffet because I'm hungry." 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Good point...and on that note, the jerked chicken I ate on the beaches of Jamaica while drinking a margarita has to be on the list. (the jerked chicken was actually amazing too)!

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Atmosphere means pretty much zero to me...Lived near Destin for years, and all of the restaurants had a breathtaking view, but we'd only frequent the ones with good food.

Took my wife to a trendy and highly recommended place in Naperville "Catch 35" for our 25th anniversary...The food was mediocre at best, and the portions were microscopic...Their "Lobster Bisque" ($12 a cup)  was kinda lobster flavored broth...Never went back...

On the way home, my wife, who loves seafood, asked me what I thought..."I think I'd like to stop by Old Country Buffet because I'm hungry." 

I've been to Catch 35 a handful of times. Agree it is not worth the $$$. 

A few years ago we lucked into a cheap condo on Isle of Palms South Carolina.  I found a groupon for Charleston Harbour Fish House.  First time I ever had swordfish.  We went three nights to this place.  First time I ever had shrimp and grits.  Amazing place to watch the sunset come down over Charleston city scape from across the harbour.  An old retired USS Yorktown is there for tour as well.  

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Went to Hays City Store for lunch yesterday in Driftwood, Texas. Great place with an extensive "bar food" menu. The southern fried catfish was the best catfish I've ever had. Served with jalapeno hush puppies. A really cool, old time bar restaurant in the beautiful Texas hill country.

Looked at the menu. First I don't see fried catfish? Second, there are a lot of other great looking options on the menu I would have taken over catfish any day! Starting to question your food choices?😁

30 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Looked at the menu. First I don't see fried catfish? Second, there are a lot of other great looking options on the menu I would have taken over catfish any day! Starting to question your food choices?😁

It was a lunch special...they also had pork quesadillas, which I almost got, and they aren't on the regular menu either.

Believe me, as they took food past us before we ordered, it was a tough choice! My wife had the fried shrimp, which were excellent, and daughter had the fish tacos which were good as well.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

It was a lunch special...they also had pork quesadillas, which I almost got, and they aren't on the regular menu either.

Believe me, as they took food past us before we ordered, it was a tough choice! My wife had the fried shrimp, which were excellent, and daughter had the fish tacos which were good as well.

Yeah, I've got to say I'm a sucker for lunch specials as well. Sometimes you get a winner and sometimes you get a loser. I'd say winner more then loser so with that glad you got a winner!

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Yeah, I've got to say I'm a sucker for lunch specials as well. Sometimes you get a winner and sometimes you get a loser. I'd say winner more then loser so with that glad you got a winner!

I'd say the best winner I've had recently was home made crab cakes eggs Bénédictine! 

Archived