Adrenal fatigue/low t/ stress/pressure

We are a mostly anonymous group of people here. Recently another contributor and I have been having a private conversation and it's led into the following topic.

I'm just curious of everyone's experience if you are willing to share. I know Corona in the last six seven months may have been a contributor to these things but honestly for me personally it's been ongoing for years.  I haven't had the t tested in over 10 years and my annual blood draws don't show enough detail for adrenal deficiencies.  I'm not necessarily exhausted but I'm definitely burnt out. Sometimes feel angry or depressed for no reason.  I should probably add that I'm a firefighter and in the last 3 and 1/2 years have built a house, totally gutted a house, and my wife had a baby. 

The other member and I were discussing supplementation. I'm guessing my first step should probably be to get a good blood draw to test everything that they can. I don't trust Indy men's clinic based on some of the things I've read about them pretty much just injecting you with testosterone without even having a conversation. I do have a couple of friends that are on t supplementation but they were truly extremely low naturally. 

I probably drink too much caffeine.  Get woken up by alarms at all hours of the night.  Do eat a pretty healthy diet and take a good multiple vitamin.  

Hopefully some of you can share your experience even if you want to shoot me a pm, that's cool too.  Is there an incognito way to post publicly here for members?  If anyone wants to remain anonymous, pm me and I'll post it anonymous for you.  

12 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

P.S. it you are able to , Exercise every day . Stay active and don't just sit around and doing nothing . I don't know your daily routine , but just sitting in front of the tv all day long was my downfall ! ( No Exercise at all ) !!!

Thank you for these words of advice.  My exercise has been lacking off and on over the years as I've been exhausted from working so much.  Starting soon with a guy at the firehouse to hold each other accountable.  

9 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

P.S. it you are able to , Exercise every day . Stay active and don't just sit around and doing nothing . I don't know your daily routine , but just sitting in front of the tv all day long was my downfall ! ( No Exercise at all ) !!!

I wholeheartedly agree with this...I use an elliptical and lift (light) weights to deal with stress, a habit I got into when I was still talking to airplanes. 

I was diagnosed with low T in my late 50s (went to the Dr for fatigue). Was prescribed a rub in gel called "Testim." No longer fatigued and makes my workout better...Just have to resist the urge to pump up the weight.

Oh, and if they DO put you on a testosterone substitute, buy your wife running shoes... :) 

• Haha 1

Agree with the exercise. My understanding is that weight training will increase your T. There are many workouts you can do for 15 minutes 3x / week. Have also heard that if you use a supplement your body will get used to it and produce even less. For that reason, I'd rather exercise than use a supplement. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

We are a mostly anonymous group of people here. Recently another contributor and I have been having a private conversation and it's led into the following topic.

I'm just curious of everyone's experience if you are willing to share. I know Corona in the last six seven months may have been a contributor to these things but honestly for me personally it's been ongoing for years.  I haven't had the t tested in over 10 years and my annual blood draws don't show enough detail for adrenal deficiencies.  I'm not necessarily exhausted but I'm definitely burnt out. Sometimes feel angry or depressed for no reason.  I should probably add that I'm a firefighter and in the last 3 and 1/2 years have built a house, totally gutted a house, and my wife had a baby. 

The other member and I were discussing supplementation. I'm guessing my first step should probably be to get a good blood draw to test everything that they can. I don't trust Indy men's clinic based on some of the things I've read about them pretty much just injecting you with testosterone without even having a conversation. I do have a couple of friends that are on t supplementation but they were truly extremely low naturally. 

I probably drink too much caffeine.  Get woken up by alarms at all hours of the night.  Do eat a pretty healthy diet and take a good multiple vitamin.  

Hopefully some of you can share your experience even if you want to shoot me a pm, that's cool too.  Is there an incognito way to post publicly here for members?  If anyone wants to remain anonymous, pm me and I'll post it anonymous for you.  

My wife is on a huge plant based kick. She and a few other friends have been urging me to watch 'The Game Changers'. I finally did and it super interesting froma health, energy and performance perspective. It seems like so much is tied back to diet and there are so many misconceptions about food and what is actually good or bad for you. You should check it out; it's super interesting. You may get another perspective about fixing deficiencies with healthy food before you consider supplementing.  

There's actually a scene where the narrator (UFC Fighter James Wilks) goes to a Firehouse in NYC and has them take a plant based week challenge to see how their health improves. 

7 hours ago, Reacher said:

Agree with the exercise. My understanding is that weight training will increase your T. There are many workouts you can do for 15 minutes 3x / week. Have also heard that if you use a supplement your body will get used to it and produce even less. For that reason, I'd rather exercise than use a supplement. 

Very true, but as you age, it's just physiology that T levels decrease. I've always lifted weights, but as I entered my late 50s I could tell something was off. 

The supplement helps, but there are risks (blood clots). 

• Like 1

Today is not helping my stress levels😡 

I need to get back to working out but the last couple years have been tough injury wise. Seems to always be something one after the other.  Injuries with long recovery time, like 2-3 months. I was pretty reckless when I younger and really beat the crap out of myself. So I guess it's just catching up. 

Diet is mostly fine though. My supplements are focused on energy and sleep but agree that food is medicine and maintaining a healthy diet is key. 

The most irritating thing about adrenal fatigue in my experience is I will be tired most of the day but when it comes to late afternoon and time to go to bed I'm wired up. So I cant sleep. 

Have been taking a magnesium supplement for a couple weeks now and have been sleeping better. Also started on Ashwagandha a few days ago. So will see if that helps too. 

15 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have a good friend that specializes in hormone imbalance, diet etc. He is located in Bloomington behind where the old Ryan’s Steak House used to be. In house lab. He’s been in Esquire Magazine and on Oprah for this stuff. Good dude and even better Dr. 

https://andrymedicalservices.com/andrymedicalservices/

• Thanks 1

Good topic and a number of good thoughts in this thread.

I'm in my early 50s and am often exhausted, but find like comments above that exercise -- really any exercise -- helps. 

Endorphins from exercising give you energy, take away exercise and your energy drops fast. One thing I've started doing is minimally a 60-second plank every day, with good form. It's only 60 seconds (though I usually do 2 a day) but man, it helps your core and overall balance and that leads to mood.

Also, get sun. Get outside even if for 10-15 minutes a day, walk, jog, play with the dog or whatever, I've found that for me when I am stuck in my office or home office and don't get outside regularly that's also draining on my energy. 

I don't take supplements, at least yet. But makes sense to look into them along with getting a physical and having your T levels checked out.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread.  Best I could find on mental and physical health going back 11 pages.  And I was the original author.  

Update.  I've been working out since Christmas break, got connected to a men's group that meets weekly.  About a year and a half ago was diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea but passed on cpap and working on better sleep positions, less alcohol,  and losing weight.  When I do those things consistently it absolutely helps.  

Next step and I hope people are still reading.  Have you heard of a thing all over Indiana called fight club?  Check out fc414.club  kick off for round 18 is tomorrow night.  First timers are free.  It's a 4 part 10 week challenge.  Physical,  spiritual,  mental, and relational challenges each week.  Tons of locations and times throughout the state to meet.  Any questions hit me up.  This will be my first time.  

• Like 2