Air Fryers

IUFLA

About a year ago, my wife and I bought an air fryer that was on sale at Costco ($39 regular $59 if I remember right). It sat in our pantry unopened for a year.

About a month ago, my wife wanted to make fried fish and wanted to use the air fryer "because it was more healthy" than putting them in our deep fryer. The fish came out GREAT. Crispy and of course not oily at all. 

Since then, we've used it for a lot of stuff, but my favorite is Buffalo wings. I use this recipe to the tee.

It makes awesome wings. I do brine them for a couple of hours before I cook them, but they're tender, juicy, and crispy...just like I like em...my wife has never been a big wing fan, but she wanted me to make some last night...pic from last night

PXL_20201012_011358193.jpg

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

About a year ago, my wife and I bought an air fryer that was on sale at Costco ($39 regular $59 if I remember right). It sat in our pantry unopened for a year.

About a month ago, my wife wanted to make fried fish and wanted to use the air fryer "because it was more healthy" than putting them in our deep fryer. The fish came out GREAT. Crispy and of course not oily at all. 

Since then, we've used it for a lot of stuff, but my favorite is Buffalo wings. I use this recipe to the tee.

It makes awesome wings. I do brine them for a couple of hours before I cook them, but they're tender, juicy, and crispy...just like I like em...my wife has never been a big wing fan, but she wanted me to make some last night...pic from last night

We bought one a couple months back...I think it was from Costco also on sale for $59 from $99 I believe. We have only used it a few times for fries/tater tots thus far. You might have inspired me to greater ventures with the looks of those wings though...they look great.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Share the recipe?

Of course.  I think you can do it with whatever you would like on your cheeseburger, for me this is what I did.

2 pounds ground beef

1 pound bacon, 

1 diced onion

4 oz diced dill pickle

2 cups cheddar cheese

1 cup American

2 tsp mustard

salt, pepper , some whites seasoning powder, some onion powder, garlic sauce and Worchestershire Sauce

Cook the hamburger drain , cook bacon, then add all the ingredients but the cheese. Cook another 10 minutes. Add the cheeses and stir. Add the mixture into the eggroll sheet roll it up and put in air fryer for 8 to 10 min. Makes around 15 egg rolls. 

Sauce: I do a homemade Campfire sauce from Red Robin.

1 cup Mayo, 1 cup Brown sugar Honey BBQ

1 teaspoon Chipotle powder

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'm stopping by tomorrow for dinner.

😁

• Like 1

So the little boy that runs my house loves the frozen Red Baron 6” pizzas from Sams Club. 400 for 9 minutes and he’s golden. So bad for you but so dang quick n easy. That’s why I fix one for him and two for me.

Chicken fries are his second favorite in the air fryer. 400 for 13 minutes and you have a happy kid. Give me some ranch and sponge bob and I’m happy as well.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Since I just ordered an Air Fryer on Prime Day, Billingsley brings up a great point! No doubt fat adds flavor, anybody know a trick to give food that Umami flavor of fat fried food? 

For me clarified butter if I have it or Kerrygold butter. Any good quality butter will do. If I'm doing wings I add 2 tbsp to my sauce. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Since I just ordered an Air Fryer on Prime Day, Billingsley brings up a great point! No doubt fat adds flavor, anybody know a trick to give food that Umami flavor of fat fried food? 

@mrflynn03 has it right. The wing sauce on the batch in my picture is a cup of Trappey's Red Devil and 4 tbl of unsalted butter...I like em slathered in sauce...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Since I have cooked traditional Indian food before, I know clarified butter as Ghee! Thanks for the tip!

True story, worked with a young engineer from India. He was going back home and asked if I would like something from India? I said a cookbook! He obliged!  A while later there was a house party for everyone to meet his Arraigned Fiancée! I made Samosas from scratch off the book using Ghee of course for the party! Seems both him and his fiancée were impressed that they experienced home cooking in America! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Since I have cooked traditional Indian food before, I know clarified butter as Ghee! Thanks for the tip!

Indian food is great! There isnt anywhere close I can get it but I can get the ingredients.  Have a can of red curry paste in the pantry waiting for a cold day off. Make a curry dish a few times a year. More of a fall winter food for me. 

• Like 1

If you want to get the fried crunch I have had pretty good luck dipping chicken strips, wings, thighs and fish in an egg wash and dredging in almond flour then air fry. Breasts are too big and get soggy. 

Almond flour is healthier obviously, but a traditional batter turns to mush. 

Almond flour is mealy and fries up nice with an egg bath. 

Panko bread crumbs work good too. 

I let whatever protein I'm trying dry for a minimum of 30 minutes before the egg wash. But that's just my style. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1