Coach Knight 50th birthday roast

16 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Tons of memories in that video. Thanks for posting it. 

Just to add one thing..... Some may not have always cared for Coach Knight. But he won by sticking to the rules. 

Most people didn't like Coach because he stuck to the rules, they didn't like him because he was a class A d!ck.  I saw him one time while i was at IU football camp back in 1992.  He yelled at some kid when we were walking from the dorm to the football field.  The kid i think called him by his name or something and he yelled at him.  We're high school kids, what do we know about what he wants to be called.  I loved him for winning at IU, but i lost alot of respect for him that day as a person

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Most people didn't like Coach because he stuck to the rules, they didn't like him because he was a class A d!ck.  I saw him one time while i was at IU football camp back in 1992.  He yelled at some kid when we were walking from the dorm to the football field.  The kids i think called him by his name or something and he yelled at him.  We're high school kids, what do we know about what he wants to be called.  I loved him for winning at IU, but i lost alot of respect for him that day as a person

Took the day off so my son and I could watch IU practice in Denver before a tournament game.  Left to meet the team bus.  We had our IU gear on. Stood by the bus door.  Every player acknowledged us as they entered the bus. Coach Knight walked past us, as if we weren't even there. 

Is that video from the public event at Market Square Arena? 

I went to that event and the place was quite full.  The main things that stuck out were Bob Collins' remarks, Bo Schembeckler's well wishes via video and Karen Knight's story about "ball buffing" (you had to be there, lol).

Also went to a handful of Varsity Club pre-season lunches at the convention center where it took some guts to take the mic and ask Knight a question (more than once he was an ass the way he treated the questioner because he didn't like the question).

Archived