Four captains for 2020-21

Well it's pretty apparent we will have at least one Captain coming off the bench, but it's interesting not a single one of those guys are consensus starters (or would we say Al is?). 

I will say, I like what they all bring to the team and like that we have so many guys viewed as leaders. 

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Well it's pretty apparent we will have at least one Captain coming off the bench, but it's interesting not a single one of those guys are consensus starters (or would we say Al is?). 

I will say, I like what they all bring to the team and like that we have so many guys viewed as leaders. 

I can't imagine a guy that has started 62 of the last 66 games he has played to not start unless he is really embracing the 6th starter role and truly being a leader.  CAM does love his experience so I doubt he's not a starter.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I can't imagine a guy that has started 62 of the last 66 games he has played to not start unless he is really embracing the 6th starter role and truly being a leader.  CAM does love his experience so I doubt he's not a starter.  

Wasn't this the case with Tom Pritchard?

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yeah, he's also our best shooter and a very versatile guard. I personally think he is a lock for starting, I just think I may have seen some people throwing around lineups without him. 

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

And CAM just said that he really improved at the end of last year, and he's a senior, and he's been our most consistent deep shooter. He's starting.

Related, a couple of interviews including with players referenced the team's ability to have 3 ball handlers on the floor together. That's an extremely strong signal. Rob, Lander, Al. Pretty clear, imo, that those 3 and TJD start. Remaining question, imo, is who the 5th starter is -- Race, Brunk or Jerome. Would think the starter of those 3 will change over time as the season progresses. Objectively, each of them bring positives so long as we have that 3-guard/wing look instead of a player roaming the wing who can't shoot or slash with the ball, as last year. 

Tom Crean believed in having no team captains.  I always advocated for team captains. I like all of those guys. However having four team captains, seems a bit much to me.  Someone, some how has got to be the leader.

On another note.  I continue to hear great things about Race Thompson.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Having 4 captains means you don't have a leader.  You may have a bunch of guys that may work hard and set a good example.  But, you don't have a leader.

Totally agree.  As I posted above.  Someone has to step out to become THE leader.

I truly expect Phin/Brunch or Al/Brunk
So you're telling me that with 16 players on the team, it was evenly broken out of 4 votes for each of the 4 captains.  I do not like this.  At most it should have been 2, i would have been happier with 1 captain, leading the team.  4 tells me you have no leaders and the "team" might have some cliques in it after all.

This will cost a close game or two this year.

On 10/18/2020 at 1:41 AM, IowaHoosierFan said:

I truly expect Phin/Brunch or Al/Brunk
So you're telling me that with 16 players on the team, it was evenly broken out of 4 votes for each of the 4 captains.  I do not like this.  At most it should have been 2, i would have been happier with 1 captain, leading the team.  4 tells me you have no leaders and the "team" might have some cliques in it after all.

This will cost a close game or two this year.

Horse pucky!   😁

Whoever takes the reigns as the "leader" remains to be seen. I don't see having 4 captains mean much in that regard. However, I do think it helps the team significantly to have a VOCAL leader -- a Yogi or Hulls type. Morgan, for example, was an absolutely outstanding college player, but not a vocal leader. Brunk may be that guy, he has proven himself to be a good locker-room and on-court motivator, imo, but it's better, imo, when your leader is the lead PG or scorer. I'd like to see Rob step it up and take on that role -- strong, vocal and when necessary in your face on-court leader. I don't think Al fits that bill (not a reflection of his game, rather, his demeanor). Race, maybe, but he's just now taking on a bigger role and Rob's the upper classman and lead point (Lander is the incoming star but this is Rob's team).

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Can't believe there is so much discussion about the amount of captains we have on this team.  Can't wait until the season to start so we can actually talk about important things.

Its what happens when there is not other basketball related information coming out.  Plus 4 basketball captains is weird.  Is 25% of the team

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Its what happens when there is not other basketball related information coming out.  Plus 4 basketball captains is weird.  Is 25% of the team

To me there is a difference between captains and leaders.  To me being a captain just means you are the ones who talk to the ref before the game.  Being a leader is the players who lead while no one is watching.  It is getting players together in the off season to work on their games or to get them in for work outs.  It is also trying to get the players together off the court and do things as a team to get that chemistry going.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me there is a difference between captains and leaders.  To me being a captain just means you are the ones who talk to the ref before the game.  Being a leader is the players who lead while no one is watching.  It is getting players together in the off season to work on their games or to get them in for work outs.  It is also trying to get the players together off the court and do things as a team to get that chemistry going.

They are not usually mutually exclusive.  If they were all Seniors and were really close i could see it.  But its a Transfer in Sr, a true Sr, a Redshirt Jr and a true Jr.  Just feels off to me when the team can't even pick a single leader to be the captain.

4 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I think discussing and speculating is totally fine. What bothers me is coming to a definitive conclusion when we have maybe 2% of the relevant info. 

“This will cost a close game or two this year” is a comment based on absolutely nothing. 

At least quote me if you're going to use me as you example.  Almost everything on this forum is based on speculation and 2% of actual facts.  But i played sports from the time i was 5 to 25 and i can tell you that if you don't have leaders on a team who can will you to play better, longer and not fold, you will lose games.  And its usually when they are close and you don't have someone who will put you on their shoulders and refuse to let you lose.

But you are correct.  Everything i said is almost 100% speculation and conjecture.  Welcome to the internet. If this is your first day you're in for a rude awakening.

Archived