Archie Miller's best recruit to date ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • milehiiu changed the title to Archie Miller's best recruit to date ?
1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not going to argue with but, if no Romeo not sure we get TJD

Romeo made it easy or popular to choose IU again. Even though we would have made the tourney last year....can you imagine Archie getting TJD, Lander....as well as even guys like Rob P, Leal, Galloway,etc.....if Romeo didn't say yes? That would be a firm no.  

As I mentioned earlier with Cody. Cody brought us not only Yogi...but Bryant, Vonleh and others who are cashing or have cashed checks from the NBA.

The same way Romeo paved the way for TJD.....TJD paved the way for others but it all started with Romeo. 

From a program standpoint, Romeo Langford. From a player standpoint, Romeo Langford. The kid was injured the entire season. Then also the cry babies. If he were still on this team and healthy, he would shine considering the IQ and talent now vs then. There is a comparison that’s not even close. 

Love TJD. My opinion he’s on Codys level and maybe even more versatile. 

Just now, Inequality said:

From a program standpoint, Romeo Langford. From a player standpoint, Romeo Langford. The kid was injured the entire season. Then also the cry babies. If he were still on this team and healthy, he would shine considering the IQ and talent now vs then. There is a comparison that’s not even close. 

Love TJD. My opinion he’s on Codys level and maybe even more versatile. 

Why I think Romeo is not the most important is we all new he was a one and done player.  We knew he was just biding his time here until he could go pro.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why I think Romeo is not the most important is we all new he was a one and done player.  We knew he was just biding his time here until he could go pro.

Still a Hoosier none the less. 1 year for him or 3 years for Vic. Both Hoosiers and huge assets to the program going forward. 

4 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Still a Hoosier none the less. 1 year for him or 3 years for Vic. Both Hoosiers and huge assets to the program going forward. 

I still have a bigger admiration for the 4 year players over kids who stay s year or two.  If you help win a championship it is different like IT but if you are a one and done and don't win I don't care as much

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still have a bigger admiration for the 4 year players over kids who stay s year or two.  If you help win a championship it is different like IT but if you are a one and done and don't win I don't care as much

But that wasn't the question...

Romeo made it "cool" to go to IU again.

And you can never underestimate the cool factor...

Romeo was the most important, hands down...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But that wasn't the question...

Romeo made it "cool" to go to IU again.

And you can never underestimate the cool factor...

Romeo was the most important, hands down...

That is where I don't agree because I think TJD would have came even if Romeo hadn't.  I do think having TJD helped bring in Lander and probably Galloway and Leal.

Just now, IU Scott said:

That is where I don't agree because I think TJD would have came even if Romeo hadn't.  I do think having TJD helped bring in Lander and probably Galloway and Leal.

TJD was a great high school player...

Romeo was the biggest high school player in the state since Damon Bailey. 

Romeo is legend...and getting a legend to come to IU means something...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

That is your opinion and I have mine

Also I did not say TJD was the better player but more important to the long term success of the program.  Eric Gordon was a better overall player than Romeo and neither one helped much winning.  I know Gordon's team was until the Sampson debacle.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And, he was always projected to be a one and done. That was a given during his recruitment. The fact that it panned out just as everyone thought it would, and he’s now in the NBA also adds a luring sparkle to the coaching staff as well as the brand.
Personal favorite player isn’t the topic. Best Recruit to date is. 

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This all day.

I don't mean this as whatever to anyone else's opinion but Archie was asked when he got the job.....and he replied yes I know where New Albany is. Romeo was/is a legend in Indiana. Whether his career on the court at IU matched up that doesn't matter. Recruiting wise....the answer to the thread question is Romeo. 

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is your opinion and I have mine

Also I did not say TJD was the better player but more important to the long term success of the program.  Eric Gordon was a better overall player than Romeo and neither one helped much winning.  I know Gordon's team was until the Sampson debacle.

Again, you're missing my point. Getting Romeo, who had been in the basketball spotlight since he was a freshman in high school, when the Dukes, UKs, KUs, and UNCs were sniffing around was, for the  perception of IU and CAM to any subsequent players, the breaking of the dam.

You're talking about wins and losses in a career and creating a "winning atmosphere" which is surely important, and will draw recruits. TJD might very well lead us to success and join the pantheon of IU legends. But he has to create that legend on the floor.

To get more Ws you need players. Players like TJD. But players like TJD have to look at the school, the coach, and the tradition. Romeo came with his legend already intact. And IU DID NOT have that "winning atmosphere." He took a chance on us. He made IU under Archie Miller a destination for high profile kids again.

And I, for one, am damn glad he did...

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

LoL.  Greg Oden with his 3 titles?  Eric Gordon?  Cody Zeller?  Zach Randolph?

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I Seriously doubt that TJD influenced Leal's decision at all.  Leal was going to IU the second he got an offer.

Archived