Archie Miller's best recruit to date ?

11 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

LoL.  Greg Oden with his 3 titles?  Eric Gordon?  Cody Zeller?  Zach Randolph?

Great players, all...

But, in my opinion, Damon Bailey's high school legacy started in John Feinstein's "Season on the Brink" and was cemented in front of 41,000+ screaming fans in the Hoosierdome...

And Romeo's star was established his freshman year at New Albany, and burned brighter with more scrutiny throughout his 4 year high school career than anyone you mentioned. I haven't lived in Indiana since 1980, and I heard the names you mentioned throughout their high school careers periodically...But not as often as Romeo's...

Plus the fact that they're 2 of only 4 players in Indiana's rich high school basketball history to score over 3,000 points...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

LoL.  Greg Oden with his 3 titles?  Eric Gordon?  Cody Zeller?  Zach Randolph?

The players you mentioned obviously are all elite....although Randolph imo isn't close to the first two. Oden just felt different at the time. Maybe it was because we were only a few years removed from Knight firing but the fan base was divided and angry so no one at the time was a must get because there were plenty in the state that turned their back on IU. You factor that along with people knew Conley was steering them away from MD.....the hype just wasn't there like it was with Romeo IMO.

I'll stand by Romeo and echo others that he's the biggest recruit in this state since Bailey as well. 

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The players you mentioned obviously are all elite....although Randolph imo isn't close to the first two. Oden just felt different at the time. Maybe it was because we were only a few years removed from Knight firing but the fan base was divided and angry so no one at the time was a must get because there were plenty in the state that turned their back on IU. You factor that along with people knew Conley was steering them away from MD.....the hype just wasn't there like it was with Romeo IMO.

I'll stand by Romeo and echo others that he's the biggest recruit in this state since Bailey as well. 

I’m going to bring the out of state angle to this one. I haven’t lived in Indiana since 1992. I knew exactly who Greg Oden was when he was in high school, and I didn’t know what message boards were at the time. The general basketball fan around the country knew who Greg Oden was. 

I only really knew who Romeo Langford was because now I’m a crazy dedicated message board fan. The general basketball fan that I know from out of state doesn’t know who he is. 

Greg Oden was a nationally known, massive recruit. Langford was a regionally known, massive recruit. 

Edit: Also, as we talk about the players coming to IU partially because of Langford making it cool, look at the run of big men, and players in general, that have gone to OSU post-Oden. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’m going to bring the out of state angle to this one. I haven’t lived in Indiana since 1992. I knew exactly who Greg Oden was when he was in high school, and I didn’t know what message boards were at the time. The general basketball fan around the country knew who Greg Oden was. 

I only really knew who Romeo Langford was because now I’m a crazy dedicated message board fan. The general basketball fan that I know from out of state doesn’t know who he is. 

Greg Oden was a nationally known, massive recruit. Langford was a regionally known, massive recruit. 

Edit: Also, as we talk about the players coming to IU partially because of Langford making it cool, look at the run of big men, and players in general, that have gone to OSU post-Oden. 

Agree with everything you say and to your point there is a difference between in/out of state residents. I've lived in Indy area since I graduated from IU in 95. Don't get me wrong Oden was huge but it just didn't have the same fervor as Romeo's recruitment. Maybe because of Oden on the heals of Knight firing, Gordon was to me bigger than Oden's recruitment because of Illinois,etc....but there were many who couldn't believe we hired Sampson so the entire fanbase wasn't still there. 

Cody was closer but by that time people had already started softening on Crean. With Romeo....Archie was new coach, fans seemed united...and he was biggest recruit in the state for years. That's why I feel like Romeo is the answer still. Hopefully my rambling makes sense. Haha.

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As I said, I've lived out of state since 1980, and I disagree with this...I went probably 10 years not being on any message board, and I knew who both were...

My neighbor is a big UT fan, and he definitely knew who Romeo was...And wanted him for UT...

I think you guys are forgetting what a beast Oden was. He was the clear #1 recruit nationally in his class and viewed as the next great big man not just in college basketball, but as he headed to the NBA as well. NBA teams were literally tanking a year out in the hopes of being able to draft him. 

I would also consider Tennessee part of the region in terms of knowing who Romeo Langford was, especially with the Darius Garland/Vanderbilt recruiting connection. With that, people that follow recruiting for other schools aren't really the “general fan” IMO. I meant more fans that casually follow college basketball, those people knew who Greg Oden was. He was a freak of nature. 

He instantly brought OSU to the National Championship game as a freshmen playing with one hand. I just think if Oden comes to IU he brings Conley with him and IU has at minimum 2 Final Fours between 2002-2007 and the entire picture of IU basketball looks different over the last decade. 

I love Langford, he was certainly a phenomenon and a huge recruit to land, but I don’t his impact was even remotely close to what Oden’s would have been on the court, and in terms of future recruiting I think Oden’s impact would have been bigger as well  

At the time, Oden was a LeBron, Durant, Zion level recruit in terms of national hype. Langford was never remotely close to that, again speaking nationally not locally to Indiana. 

Edit: A reminder, he was the clear #1 recruit in a class that included Kevin Durant.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think you guys are forgetting what a beast Oden was. He was the clear #1 recruit nationally in his class and viewed as the next great big man not just in college basketball, but as he headed to the NBA as well. NBA teams were literally tanking a year out in the hopes of being able to draft him. 

I would also consider Tennessee part of the region in terms of knowing who Romeo Langford was, especially with the Darius Garland/Vanderbilt recruiting connection. With that, people that follow recruiting for other schools aren't really the “general fan” IMO. I meant more fans that casually follow college basketball, those people knew who Greg Oden was. He was a freak of nature. 

He instantly brought OSU to the National Championship game as a freshmen playing with one hand. I just think if Oden comes to IU he brings Conley with him and IU has at minimum 2 Final Fours between 2002-2007 and the entire picture of IU basketball looks different over the last decade. 

I love Langford, he was certainly a phenomenon and a huge recruit to land, but I don’t his impact was even remotely close to what Oden’s would have been on the court, and in terms of future recruiting I think Oden’s impact would have been bigger as well  

At the time, Oden was a LeBron, Durant, Zion level recruit in terms of national hype. Langford was never remotely close to that, again speaking nationally not locally to Indiana. 

Edit: A reminder, he was the clear #1 recruit in a class that included Kevin Durant.

I remember watching the show Cold Pizza which wa son ESPN.  They had Oden on there and asking him about his recruitment and they asked is IU In the lead and he said yes.  I have also heard that Oden really liked Davis but with him not really recruiting Conley that made his decision to go to OSU.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I remember watching the show Cold Pizza which wa son ESPN.  They had Oden on there and asking him about his recruitment and they asked is IU In the lead and he said yes.  I have also heard that Oden really liked Davis but with him not really recruiting Conley that made his decision to go to OSU.

I wonder if those letters Davis sent to Conley but were intended for Sherron Collins had anything to do with it 😔

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Trust me. EJ was leagues above Romeo.  He was easily the best player in the B1G before his wrist injury.  Romeo wasn't near that level or even Carson Edward's.  Cody arguably outplayed the best player in the country in AD 2 times as a freshman. 

12 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Trust me. EJ was leagues above Romeo.  He was easily the best player in the B1G before his wrist injury.  Romeo wasn't near that level or even Carson Edward's.  Cody arguably outplayed the best player in the country in AD 2 times as a freshman. 

I think you need to step back and look at the facts.

In high school, Romeo scored over 800 more points in his career than EJ did. He also took New Albany to a 4A state championship as a sophomore (EJ went to the championship game, but never won it).

If you look at Romeo's college stats compared to EJ's college stats they are strikingly similar. EJ has a slight edge in scoring, (20.9 to 16.5) but stats bears out the EJ was certainly not "leagues above" Romeo in college.

Top it of with Romeo dealing with an injury the whole year, and the subsequent team chemistry issues that have leaked out and any reasonable person would say Romeo more than holds his own in comparison to EJ.

20 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Yeah, he was a known commodity nationally as a high school player. Other than probably Knight’s firing, I’d say missing on Oden/Conley is the worst thing to happen to IU basketball in the last 20 years. Yes, worse than the Sampson mess because that likely never happens if Davis doesn’t screw up the Oden/Conley recruitment. 

Oden was a game and program changer. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yes, worse than the Sampson mess because that likely never happens if Davis doesn’t screw up the Oden/Conley recruitment. 

I know there's no real way of knowing this, but in your opinion, would Mike Davis still be coaching at IU if Oden and Conley (because it was a package deal) had attended IU for their 1 year of college basketball?

If yes, I don't necessarily think that's a good thing...

Oden has zero to do with the op, IU and is so far from any conversation pertaining to CAM. I could give a rats diddly @$$ about Greg Oden and his lust for Ohio St. He only has a place in Indiana high school hoops convo for Indiana kids like Sean May that failed miserably by leaving the state. Of course, I’m just having fun with you guys.

No doubt Gordon was a super talent that attended IU well before the Miller experiment. Different style and mentality than Romeo but both prolific scoring masters of the game.

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know there's no real way of knowing this, but in your opinion, would Mike Davis still be coaching at IU if Oden and Conley (because it was a package deal) had attended IU for their 1 year of college basketball?

If yes, I don't necessarily think that's a good thing...

I don’t know if he’d still be the coach, probably not, but I’d take 3-5 more years of Mike Davis in a heartbeat if it meant Greg Oden, Mike Conley, two Final Fours and potentially Title game appearances in five years (2002 and 2007), and avoiding the Sampson mess. 

It completely changes the perception of IU over the past 20 years. It also would have changed the perception of Mike Davis, as he potentially would have been a two-time Final Four Coach, and I’d assume if Oden/Conley had been freshmen at IU that the Gordon/Illinois thing doesn’t happen and Gordon might have committed to IU originally. 

So you’d have Mike Davis having potentially two Final Four appearances and having Jeffries, Oden, Conley and Gordon as lottery picks from the program. He would have been viewed differently by both fans, media, and high school recruits  

A lot of assumptions, I get that, but I’d take all of that in a heartbeat over the Sampson mess. It also would have been a completely different coaching search when we did eventually move on from Sampson. 

My thinking here isn’t meant as a defense of Mike Davis or anything, but I think the last two decades look a lot different for IU if that one recruitment isn’t screwed up. IMO Oden was that impactful on the court, even if for just one year. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know if he’d still be the coach, probably not, but I’d take 3-5 more years of Mike Davis in a heartbeat if it meant Greg Oden, Mike Conley, two Final Fours and potentially Title game appearances in five years (2002 and 2007), and avoiding the Sampson mess. 

It completely changes the perception of IU over the past 20 years. It also would have changed the perception of Mike Davis, as he potentially would have been a two-time Final Four Coach, and I’d assume if Oden/Conley had been freshmen at IU that the Gordon/Illinois thing doesn’t happen and Gordon might have committed to IU originally. 

So you’d have Mike Davis having potentially two Final Four appearances and having Jeffries, Oden, Conley and Gordon as lottery picks from the program. He would have been viewed differently by both fans, media, and high school recruits  

A lot of assumptions, I get that, but I’d take all of that in a heartbeat over the Sampson mess. It also would have been a completely different coaching search when we did eventually move on from Sampson. 

My thinking here isn’t meant as a defense of Mike Davis or anything, but I think the last two decades look a lot different for IU if that one recruitment isn’t screwed up. IMO Oden was that impactful on the court, even if for just one year. 

That's fair...I'm 100% with you on the Sampson debacle. 

And I'm not disparaging or trying to minimize Oden's stature or impact coming out of high school...I think his subsequent struggles may have taken a little of the luster off of his high school and abbreviated college career in my eyes, which isn't fair on my part.

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think you need to step back and look at the facts.

In high school, Romeo scored over 800 more points in his career than EJ did. He also took New Albany to a 4A state championship as a sophomore (EJ went to the championship game, but never won it).

If you look at Romeo's college stats compared to EJ's college stats they are strikingly similar. EJ has a slight edge in scoring, (20.9 to 16.5) but stats bears out the EJ was certainly not "leagues above" Romeo in college.

Top it of with Romeo dealing with an injury the whole year, and the subsequent team chemistry issues that have leaked out and any reasonable person would say Romeo more than holds his own in comparison to EJ.

EJ and Romeo were both great, great frosh players, the difference was not just that Romeo got his serious hand injury early it was that EJ clearly had a better team around him. Let’s not forget that team went 24-4 before the Sampson debacle. 

EJ was more explosive to the rim - a more athletic, explosive player, but Romeo was smoother to the rim. It does bear saying that EJ was one of the best 2 guards in the League early, but had his career slowed by his multiple injuries in the League. Romeo has really never been healthy, just injury after injury and he’s trying to get time on a stacked Boston team. Hopefully he’ll get healthy and have a real chance next season 

On 10/16/2020 at 8:18 PM, IU Scott said:

That is your opinion and I have mine

Also I did not say TJD was the better player but more important to the long term success of the program.  Eric Gordon was a better overall player than Romeo and neither one helped much winning.  I know Gordon's team was until the Sampson debacle.

I think what many are saying is that without Romeo maybe Archie doesn't get TJD. I said it back when he was playing Romeos impact will be felt more off the court than on. IMO Romeo hands down was more important and has had more.impact than any other recruit

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think what many are saying is that without Romeo maybe Archie doesn't get TJD. I said it back when he was playing Romeos impact will be felt more off the court than on. IMO Romeo hands down was more important and has had more.impact than any other recruit

I know and I said I did not agree with that theory because I think TJD would have came here no matter what.  He had been on campus many times before Romeo even committed to IU.  Also I think TJD has gotten us Lander and Galloway and without him I don't think either would be here.

Archived