ND post game thread

Indykev

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

The mark of a good to great head coach is the ability to recognize bad matchups.  As you pointed out, and was the case with De'Ron against Notre Dame. Not one to take anything away from De'Ron... I think it was good of Miller not to put De'Ron  in a situation of failure.  De'Ron, who is a good free throw shooter, is already struggling with an admitted mental issue over his free throw shooting this year.  No need to give him more to think about in terms of his overall game.  By the way, and conversely...when Miller inserted De'Ron in the game in overtime, it not only showed confidence in De'Ron, but De'Ron rewarded that confidence with a power move to the bucket, which put IU ahead at that crucial time of the game. 

It has also occurred to me that, after going 2 for 16 from three in the four prior games, Robert Johnson had the confidence to put up 10 three pointers against ND. And drained five of them. I think this has to be coaching. I could be wrong, I often am, but I picture CAM telling Robert "Forget that. We need you to shoot." 

Johnson's game was overshadowed by Morgan's, but Johnson had one helluva game. Except for stepping on the out of bounds line a couple of times, of course.

2 hours ago, Mac said:

It has also occurred to me that, after going 2 for 16 from three in the four prior games, Robert Johnson had the confidence to put up 10 three pointers against ND. And drained five of them. I think this has to be coaching. I could be wrong, I often am, but I picture CAM telling Robert "Forget that. We need you to shoot." 

Johnson's game was overshadowed by Morgan's, but Johnson had one helluva game. Except for stepping on the out of bounds line a couple of times, of course.

It's what good coaches do.  They don't break players down. They build them up.  As evidenced by the time out break in during the ND game... Coach Miller was instructional. And positive in a constructional way.

2 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

They should have had Green miss the second free throw.  They would have had to throw a desperation shot from under IU's basket, rather than near mid-court.

I wouldn't do that just because if that lucky shot goes in now you lose worse case scenario double OT (unless Dane Fife fouls him) 

Archived