So, what’s up with the black bear roaming downtown Evansville?

We had one in Clark County a couple of years ago.  They had proof he spent the winter on this side of the river, but they lost track of him the following spring and assumed he went back to Kentucky.  It's likely only a matter of time before they recolonize in Indiana. 

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We had one in Clark County a couple of years ago.  They had proof he spent the winter on this side of the river, but they lost track of him the following spring and assumed he went back to Kentucky.  It's likely only a matter of time before they recolonize in Indiana. 

You are right. Mother nature has a way. Elk have been reintroduced In Kentucky.  Believe it or not Elk, wolves, and bears used to inhabit Indiana in Native American times. 

Indiana has flirted with reintroducing wolves to deal with the coyotes. But farmers say hard no they will attack our livestock. 

Martin, Lawrence, Crawford, and Orange counties are dealing with a feral pig situation on the level of that Texas and South Carolina are.  

Wild bacon sounds pretty good. 

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

You are right. Mother nature has a way. Elk have been reintroduced In Kentucky.  Believe it or not Elk, wolves, and bears used to inhabit Indiana in Native American times. 

Indiana has flirted with reintroducing wolves to deal with the coyotes. But farmers say hard no they will attack our livestock. 

Martin, Lawrence, Crawford, and Orange counties are dealing with a feral pig situation on the level of that Texas and South Carolina are.  

Wolves are on the ballot in Colorado - The Washington Post

15 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I live in one of those counties and this is the first I’ve heard of that. I’ll have to be on the lookout for them. 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I live in one of those counties and this is the first I’ve heard of that. I’ll have to be on the lookout for them. 

I probably exaggerated some but work with a guy that hunts them south of Bedford around Tunnelton. So that's where I heard about it.  But with the way they breed numbers could grow quickly. 

18 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Buffalo used to be here as well....heck, one is on our state seal.

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No bears but we actually had a cougar - mountain lion show up in my neighborhood in Texas. There are no mountains here, suburb of Houston, was pretty surprising 

A few years back my friend who’s son is the game warden showed me a picture of the cougar a hunter had shot thinking it was an escaped illegal pet! About 10 miles from my house! Turned out to be a far ranging protected Florida Panther! Boy did that guy get in trouble!

48 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

A few years back my friend who’s son is the game warden showed me a picture of the cougar a hunter had shot thinking it was an escaped illegal pet! About 10 miles from my house! Turned out to be a far ranging protected Florida Panther! Boy did that guy get in trouble!

My uncle David has seen a big cat in the Green-Sullivan state forest in Indiana.  I have seen big cat tracks in Daviess Co and have talked to people who have seen them in Martin Co and the Hoosier National Forest.

They are out there but in small numbers.  

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My uncle David has seen a big cat in the Green-Sullivan state forest in Indiana.  I have seen big cat tracks in Daviess Co and have talked to people who have seen them in Martin Co and the Hoosier National Forest.

Mountain Lions/Cougars are native to the state as well.

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Been one spotted several times in Jennings County

Archived