Jump to content

Favorite experience watching an IUBB game ?


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Either in person.  Or on tv. 

1976 Michigan game at Assembly Hall.  Benson tips in Jim Crews miss in the last second of regulation... and the Hoosiers win in OT to remain undefeated.  Saw that in person, which was special.  As a kid listening on radio, my big memory was listening to "the Splendid Splinter", Jimmy Rayl drop 56 points on the MSU Spartans.  Or maybe it was the Minnesota game??  LOL...he was special.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a Freshman at IU in 1987....I was at the Union watching the National Championship game IU vs Syracuse with friends. As soon as Kieth Smart hit that winning shot, it was total pandemonium. We immediately headed out the doors to the Showalter Fountain and then later on to Kirkwood. It seemed the entire state of Indiana was there, packed in like sardines. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

1976 Michigan game at Assembly Hall.  Benson tips in Jim Crews miss in the last second of regulation... and the Hoosiers win in OT to remain undefeated.  Saw that in person, which was special.  As a kid listening on radio, my big memory was listening to "the Splendid Splinter", Jimmy Rayl drop 56 points on the MSU Spartans.  Or maybe it was the Minnesota game??  LOL...he was special.

Yes. JImmy dropping 56 points for IU. Did it twice.   Watched on tv. And was besides my self..... when coach took Jimmy out, with minutes to spare.... so Jimmy only tied his record, instead of breaking it. Which I am sure he would have done... had he been allowed to remain in the game. 

Jimmy Rayl - Indiana University IU Hoosiers Basketball History

Edited by milehiiu
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have told this story before...

My father-in-law was as far from a sports fan as I can imagine. He knew Bobby Knight, but only due to the notoriety. 

He and his wife were visiting us one early Spring weekend. Just happened to be at our house for the 1987 semifinal game, IU v UNLV. By halftime, I had him interested and loudly cheering for the Hoosiers. When the game ended he, my son and I were obnoxiously loud to the neighbors who didn’t pay attention.

Only time I really shared my love of sports with my f-i-l. But due to the multigenerational enjoyment, my favorite IU game ever 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The IU vs University of Indianapolis exhibition game from Archie’s first season. I grew up going to games with my dad. I always knew if I ever had kids of my own I wanted to do the same with them. I took my son to his first IU game that day along with my dad. That was 11/5/17.  My dad passed away on 11/4/18, almost a year to the day. It may have been just an exhibition game, but it was one of only two games I got to attend with both my son and my dad. 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have three

1.  Watching IU beat Duke in 2002.  I watched this alone in my apartment and was jumping on my couch when we won.  No one around to celebrate with but i will never forget that feeling.

2. Was at a friends-giving party with some friend and i arrived late due to something and they had the IU game on and i walked in to watch the last 2 minutes of the game.  We stood there and watched the WatShot and although they are not IU fans, the whole room just blew up and i was jumping around.

3.  Watching IU beat Kentucky at Des Moines in the second round of the NCCA tourney in 2016.  I was at that game, lost my voice i was yelling and screaming so much.  was so much fun

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
Link to post
Share on other sites

The 81 NC game...

As everyone knows, it was scheduled for the day President Reagan was shot. I was in the USAF living in the dorm at Scott AFB, Il. I was also on the "Mobility Team" and we were placed on high alert. I couldn't leave the dorm because of it (I had one of the old brick walkie-talkies, but was still told not to go anywhere).

The TV in the 2nd floor dayroom was broken, so around game time, I went down to the first floor. A couple of girls who lived in the dorm (yes, it was coed) were watching something on the 1st floor dayroom TV. Usually, these two particular girls were at the Airman's Club across the street from the dorm, but they said they didn't have any money (it was the day before military payday at the end of the month). So I asked them if they had money, would they go over to the club...They said "sure" so I fished a $20 out of my wallet, and had the dayroom to myself...

Live, either watching Alex English play for South Carolina at Assembly Hall (74 I think)...Abernathy had a terrific game going 10-10 from the field in an IU win. 

Or Dakich's first win as an IU interim coach at Northwestern...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The 81 NC game...

As everyone knows, it was scheduled for the day President Reagan was shot. I was in the USAF living in the dorm at Scott AFB, Il. I was also on the "Mobility Team" and we were placed on high alert. I couldn't leave the dorm because of it (I had one of the old brick walkie-talkies, but was still told not to go anywhere).

The TV in the 2nd floor dayroom was broken, so around game time, I went down to the first floor. A couple of girls who lived in the dorm (yes, it was coed) were watching something on the 1st floor dayroom TV. Usually, these two particular girls were at the Airman's Club across the street from the dorm, but they said they didn't have any money (it was the day before military payday at the end of the month). So I asked them if they had money, would they go over to the club...They said "sure" so I fished a $20 out of my wallet, and had the dayroom to myself...

Live, either watching Alex English play for South Carolina at Assembly Hall (74 I think)...Abernathy had a terrific game going 10-10 from the field in an IU win. 

Or Dakich's first win as an IU interim coach at Northwestern...

Great story. Thanks for sharing. And though I have said it before... will say again. Thanks for serving.

Ironically, as with the '87 NC game that I viewed in a Las Vegas sports book... I also watched the '81 NC game in a Vegas sports book.  When we left the house for the airport, the word was that the game would be cancelled due to Reagon getting shot.  By the time we got to Vegas, and settled in our room.... heard the game would go on, after all.

Maybe I should make more trips to Vegas.  LOL

1981 NCAA Championship Indiana vs. UNC Final Minutes 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

During my undergrad years I was at the game when Haston dropped the shot to take down #1 MSU at the buzzer.  Was one of the greatest games I have ever been at in person, maybe the greatest.  The energy after that shot was amazing and I still remember it to this day as we stormed the court.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

During my undergrad years I was at the game when Haston dropped the shot to take down #1 MSU at the buzzer.  Was one of the greatest games I have ever been at in person, maybe the greatest.  The energy after that shot was amazing and I still remember it to this day as we stormed the court.

Indiana Haston Drains 3 to Beat #1 MSU 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We did not have a TV when I was young, so...

  • hearing the radio call of Smart hitting the shot and stealing the inbound pass to win in '87
  • Global season '88-'89: partially because we had some friends who invited us over to watch the games and so it was the first year I actually saw the Hoosiers. Also Edwards kept winning games with last second shot :). Also, watching Sloan pick was like a clinic

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the Final Four in 87.  I think the win over Syracuse has to be the one but the 2 games before that were close.  The UNLV games was just super exciting and the game to beat to beat LSU in the Elie 8 knowing I had Final 4 tix was pretty good too. 

I remember an IU/OSU game in 92 when Jim Jackson played for OSU.  I think IU and OSU were number 4 and 2 in the country. Arkansas and UNLV were both top 5 that year and they were playing at the same time so the IU game not shown on National TV because they did regional games.    Humperdinks in Dallas was the place to go for IU games. It was a Sunday noon game and it was standing room only with all IU fans except for some small table in the corner.  I think OSU won 96-93 in double overtime. The entire bar would erupt when IU scored and there would be 2 people quietly clapping when OSU scored.  Wasn't my favorite outcome but what a time to be an IU fan. Ku-Band satellite and the Indiana basketball network. I was at Humperdinks a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

January 2013, Indiana at Michigan State. I wasn't very optimistic because Indiana has really struggled at Breslin and both teams were good.

I believe Indiana was down 5 with a minute to go and pulled it out. That was the first time they won in Breslin in years. It made the drive home enjoyable for me but miserable for my boss who is a big time MSU fan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2020 at 8:17 AM, jefftheref said:

January 2013, Indiana at Michigan State. I wasn't very optimistic because Indiana has really struggled at Breslin and both teams were good.

I believe Indiana was down 5 with a minute to go and pulled it out. That was the first time they won in Breslin in years. It made the drive home enjoyable for me but miserable for my boss who is a big time MSU fan.

This is also my favorite in person. My son was in the student section and not nearly as happy as I was. Victor sure did impress him that night though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, GRMIHoosier said:

This is also my favorite in person. My son was in the student section and not nearly as happy as I was. Victor sure did impress him that night though. 

I had a good friend who kept the stats for MSU Football and basketball. Occasionally he would work for ESPN or the Big 10 Network. Every year he would send me his game tickets and parking pass for the Indiana game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...