CBS' B1G Predictions

I think this year, being a veteran team with continuity spilling over from last year will play a bigger part than it even normally does.  A team like Rutgers could find it's way into the top 4, while a team like Ohio State that has a lot of new parts could very well struggle, regardless of how 'good' those parts are.   

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As a fan base, will we be happy with a 7th place finish?  It's about where I expect us to finish, but part of me is not satisfied with that.  It's hard to say '7th place' and 'successful year' in the same sentence.

Year 4 with 2 potential 1st round picks we better be higher than 7th

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As a fan base, will we be happy with a 7th place finish?  It's about where I expect us to finish, but part of me is not satisfied with that.  It's hard to say '7th place' and 'successful year' in the same sentence.

Probably would come down to how far out of 1st we are and what we are ranked nationally.  Andy Katz picke dus 7th in the league but 18th in the country so i would be satisfied with that.  Also if we can get a 5 seed in the tournament it wouldn't really matter what we finished in the league.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah it's a legit question. For me it turns on just how strong the top 6 (assuming) prove to be. I'm hoping for a top 5 finish this year. But at the end of the day, I just want to see IU do well and play -- and do well in -- the NCAA tourney (which, of course, has to happen).

Seeing media has such low expectations for my beloved Hoosiers is like a slap on my face, and this became a new norm for the last several years. We just gotta have a breakout season to get the respect back. I feel like Archie and Co. is ready to take off. We now have a more cohesive team, and pretty much the entire team is hand-picked by Archie, so I see no reason we can't have a really good season this time. My only concern is we may have a short season, so we can't have a long slump.  

15 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Seeing media has such low expectations for my beloved Hoosiers is like a slap on my face, and this became a new norm for the last several years. We just gotta have a breakout season to get the respect back. I feel like Archie and Co. is ready to take off. We now have a more cohesive team, and pretty much the entire team is hand-picked by Archie, so I see no reason we can't have a really good season this time. My only concern is we may have a short season, so we can't have a long slump.  

and health. Rob needs to be and stay healthy, for the season.

14 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

Like many have said the past many years we are who our records says we are. It has said we are not very good. Every year I buy into the hope that the return to glory is here and each year I feel like a Cubs fan and say wait til next year. I am an optimistic person but the media knows until we prove it just put us around the middle. If we do great we become the darling of the dance.  If not same old IU 

Same with any team or profession. Only as good as your record is and we haven't been good enough to warrant preseason recognition. Will take multiple trips to at least Sweet 16 before we start getting any attention in preseason polls. Pair that with how good Big 10 is I think 5th-7th is very fair. 

23 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

and health. Rob needs to be and stay healthy, for the season.

I am in the minority here but i am not a fan of Rob.  His game is stagnant and hasn't really grown.  He is basically the same player he was as a freshman.  I think landers is going to be the fulcrum we need.  A true point guard who can shoot, score, and lead an offense.  I don't know about his defense but if its manageable i think we make a big stride this year in offense.  Now, maybe moving Rob to an off guard will free him up to be more fluid and not worry about being the leader on the floor and his game advances. I am not attacking him personally.  I am sure he is a fine young man who gives his all every time he is on the floor.  So please don't bash me for poking holes in his game and as a player.  Bash me for having a stupid opinion all you want though :D 

11 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am in the minority here but i am not a fan of Rob.  His game is stagnant and hasn't really grown.  He is basically the same player he was as a freshman.  I think landers is going to be the fulcrum we need.  A true point guard who can shoot, score, and lead an offense.  I don't know about his defense but if its manageable i think we make a big stride this year in offense.  Now, maybe moving Rob to an off guard will free him up to be more fluid and not worry about being the leader on the floor and his game advances. I am not attacking him personally.  I am sure he is a fine young man who gives his all every time he is on the floor.  So please don't bash me for poking holes in his game and as a player.  Bash me for having a stupid opinion all you want though :D 

I think Rob is the key to this team being a top team in the conference.  I think when healthy he has shown to be a very dependable player and has shown glimpses of being a good player.  I really think injuries has derailed both seasons and especially last year I don't think he was ever totally helathy.  I think it will help him plahying off the ball more because i think he is a very good shooter when he can step into his shot.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think Rob is the key to this team being a top team in the conference.  I think when healthy he has shown to be a very dependable player and has shown glimpses of being a good player.  I really think injuries has derailed both seasons and especially last year I don't think he was ever totally helathy.  I think it will help him plahying off the ball more because i think he is a very good shooter when he can step into his shot.

this is where i disagree.  Look at his stats from the previous two years.  They are almost identical.  Injury and all.  He didn't shoot better or worst.  He didn't score better or worst.  He just stayed the same.  No growth almost anywhere.  I just don't know if he is a true point guard.  I do hope he makes the jump this year, but i won't be surprised if he gets passed up by Franklin and Al and he becomes the 4th guard in the line up.  He need to get better each year.  Bit by bit as they say.  Stand still and he will get passed by.  

But i can see where everyone thinks he is the one.  he had a couple good games.  And he did show glimpses of being a break out star on the team, only to disappear and never return.  Its almost like he doesn't know how to recover from setbacks such as injuries or bad games.

Here's to hoping i am an idiot have to eat crow all year long as he does fantastic and everyone reminds me of how moronic i sounded in October

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

this is where i disagree.  Look at his stats from the previous two years.  They are almost identical.  Injury and all.  He didn't shoot better or worst.  He didn't score better or worst.  He just stayed the same.  No growth almost anywhere.  I just don't know if he is a true point guard.  I do hope he makes the jump this year, but i won't be surprised if he gets passed up by Franklin and Al and he becomes the 4th guard in the line up.  He need to get better each year.  Bit by bit as they say.  Stand still and he will get passed by.  

But i can see where everyone thinks he is the one.  he had a couple good games.  And he did show glimpses of being a break out star on the team, only to disappear and never return.  Its almost like he doesn't know how to recover from setbacks such as injuries or bad games.

Here's to hoping i am an idiot have to eat crow all year long as he does fantastic and everyone reminds me of how moronic i sounded in October

He didn't develope that much due to injuries.  His freshman year he got off to a good start but once he got the concussion he dropped off a lot.

If Lander and Hunter prove to be what has been mentioned lately I think we will be a top 5 team in the Big Ten, hover mid 20s for most of the season and enter the NCAA tourney as a 5 seed.  If one of them struggle most of the season, I think IU is closer to a 7 seed in the NCAA tourney and hover around the low to mid 30s for the season.

21 hours ago, IU Scott said:

He didn't develope that much due to injuries.  His freshman year he got off to a good start but once he got the concussion he dropped off a lot.

Even with injuries he should have gotten better at something over the summer.  He wasn't hurt for 2 full years.  He had the concussion and then something else but he was healthy for like 10 month of each year.  You should get better from year to year.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Even with injuries he should have gotten better at something over the summer.  He wasn't hurt for 2 full years.  He had the concussion and then something else but he was healthy for like 10 month of each year.  You should get better from year to year.

You are in the minority on this one, and for a reason. As a team, we played much, much, much better when Rob was healthy and back in form. I could go through numerous games to highlight that fact but it shouldn't be necessary. He's not a Hulls, not a big time scoring point, but he was absolutely key to our playing well including down the stretch that had us in the tourney but for COVID. He's key. Love Lander, but he's a young frosh, we need Rob, as a vet point guard, and with him in form, Lander will thrive.

45 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You are in the minority on this one, and for a reason. As a team, we played much, much, much better when Rob was healthy and back in form. I could go through numerous games to highlight that fact but it shouldn't be necessary. He's not a Hulls, not a big time scoring point, but he was absolutely key to our playing well including down the stretch that had us in the tourney but for COVID. He's key. Love Lander, but he's a young frosh, we need Rob, as a vet point guard, and with him in form, Lander will thrive.

Not to mention Rob's on the ball defense. I thought he was our best on the ball defender last year.

Archived