Mike "Doc" Emrick retires

jv1972iu

I have commented about him on here several times. He was, flat-out, my favorite play-by-play announcer of any sport.

He used to come to the Coliseum in Ft. Wayne to watch the Komets and practice his announcing before he was anybody. Learned from one of the all-time greats, although lesser known, Bob Chase. Chase was the voice of the Komets for 63 years, and probably could have been Emrick, had he opted for uprooting his family for a larger city.

Emrick won't be replaced.

30 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have commented about him on here several times. He was, flat-out, my favorite play-by-play announcer of any sport.

He used to come to the Coliseum in Ft. Wayne to watch the Komets and practice his announcing before he was anybody. Learned from one of the all-time greats, although lesser known, Bob Chase. Chase was the voice of the Komets for 63 years, and probably could have been Emrick, had he opted for uprooting his family for a larger city.

Emrick won't be replaced.

I was amazed, reading his wiki page, at the number of awards the man won.  Obviously, he was excellent at his craft and thus the recognition.  My dad's family was from just up the road in Wabash and as a kid I road back there a number of times on SR 15, so I am familiar with La Fontaine.

15 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

I was amazed, reading his wiki page, at the number of awards the man won.  Obviously, he was excellent at his craft and thus the recognition.  My dad's family was from just up the road in Wabash and as a kid I road back there a number of times on SR 15, so I am familiar with La Fontaine.

I worked out of Wabash for quite a few years and drove through and stopped in La Fontaine quite often on my way to Marion.  The town is named after a Miami Indian Chief, Francis La Fontaine.  It is in the Southwood school district.  FWIW, the small town has a nice little bar!

1 hour ago, rico said:

I worked out of Wabash for quite a few years and drove through and stopped in La Fontaine quite often on my way to Marion.  The town is named after a Miami Indian Chief, Francis La Fontaine.  It is in the Southwood school district.  FWIW, the small town has a nice little bar!

Thanks, Rico!  I had forgotten the Native American origin of the town's name.  I remember my dad telling us that.  

2 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

He told us about Frances Slocum too, I recall.  And we fished the Mississinewa River at a spot he referred to as Pimm's Ford, which was also Native American.

There was also a Frances Godfroy.  Yes sir....that was Miami country.  We all know the name Little Turtle.

Archived