New Logo on IU uniforms...

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

You basically just said it doesn't matter what it means to them; it matters what it means to others. Others meaning yourself?  Because I don't see it that way. It makes my point that some see hatred in that symbol and others see a symbol for fighting oppression. Some will see a Communist fist....some will see Nelson Mandela's fist. I think the intention behind the use of the logo matters. IU made their intentions blatantly clear with text. I understand why you don't agree with the logo, but I disagree with your opinion....and that's okay. 

I didn't intentionally leave that out. White power and black power mean completely different things to me. White power refers to whites being the dominant race. Black power is a fight for equality. When you hear black power you actually think that their message is black people should be the dominant race? IMO, it seems like you are getting swept up in verbiage and not meaning. 

I'll stop here but the strongest word in that logo is "empathy." I'm sure that logo has different meanings to, say, Race Thompson then it does to me or you. My overall point is understanding different perspectives and realities is important. And I fully admit that it goes both ways. 

Which is why I think they should have used a symbol less ambiguous.  To me, the closed fist represents communism, which members of my family have sacrificed and fought against. 

But even still, I will continue to follow IU sports and keep complaining to representatives and IU.  I just don't want to see political symbols or messaging of any kind in college sports. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sort of reminds me of what Cuban was getting after Ted Cruz about last week: there is nothing inherently nor innately “political” about any of the words contained within the “fist”. Also, I’m sure it’s been pointed out by someone else in this thread, but the “fist” has more recently been used as an icon in the civil rights movement in our country, lest we forget the 1968 Summer Olympics.

I think that if these words, and what they stand for, are political to someone, they should likely honestly ask themselves why it is they feel that way.

We constantly and repeatedly remind everyone here not to talk politics on the Board. So now the U has added a BLM - referenced symbol to its unis. This makes it, of course, even more difficult for the mods to try to walk some kind of line on what is and isn't fair discussion and not political. A number of the above posts are walking well past that line, wherever it is drawn. Do NOT talk about BLM, your personal views of it, that you won't watch IU play because of it, etc. That really should be obvious. If we have to lock this thread we will. Guys, seriously, just move on. It's a symbol on a uni. If you like it or don't like it, that's of course fine either way, but don't dance around the politics and social unrest issues, AGAIN. None of that is OK here.

37 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

You basically just said it doesn't matter what it means to them; it matters what it means to others. Others meaning yourself?  Because I don't see it that way. It makes my point that some see hatred in that symbol and others see a symbol for fighting oppression. Some will see a Communist fist....some will see Nelson Mandela's fist. I think the intention behind the use of the logo matters. IU made their intentions blatantly clear with text. I understand why you don't agree with the logo, but I disagree with your opinion....and that's okay. 

I didn't intentionally leave that out. White power and black power mean completely different things to me. White power refers to whites being the dominant race. Black power is a fight for equality. When you hear black power you actually think that their message is black people should be the dominant race? IMO, it seems like you are getting swept up in verbiage and not meaning. 

I'll stop here but the strongest word in that logo is "empathy." I'm sure that logo has different meanings to, say, Race Thompson then it does to me or you. My overall point is understanding different perspectives and realities is important. And I fully admit that it goes both ways. 

Respectfully disagree with you and will point back to my post above that symbols matter.  It is not just me that is not going to like that symbol being used, it is going to be a significant portion of the fanbase.  To me if the goal is to being people together to fight an injustice, you don't start that fight by alienating half of your potential allies.

28 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

This sort of reminds me of what Cuban was getting after Ted Cruz about last week: there is nothing inherently nor innately “political” about any of the words contained within the “fist”. Also, I’m sure it’s been pointed out by someone else in this thread, but the “fist” has more recently been used as an icon in the civil rights movement in our country, lest we forget the 1968 Summer Olympics.

I think that if these words, and what they stand for, are political to someone, they should likely honestly ask themselves why it is they feel that way.

Woosh.

33 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

We constantly and repeatedly remind everyone here not to talk politics on the Board. So now the U has added a BLM - referenced symbol to its unis. This makes it, of course, even more difficult for the mods to try to walk some kind of line on what is and isn't fair discussion and not political. A number of the above posts are walking well past that line, wherever it is drawn. Do NOT talk about BLM, your personal views of it, that you won't watch IU play because of it, etc. That really should be obvious. If we have to lock this thread we will. Guys, seriously, just move on. It's a symbol on a uni. If you like it or don't like it, that's of course fine either way, but don't dance around the politics and social unrest issues, AGAIN. None of that is OK here.

I would lock the thread then.  IMO the school brought politics into the sports arena whether the fans like it or not.  They brought in BLM.  They have made it a part of every single Indiana University athletic event by putting a polarizing symbol on every uniform.

I would love for politics to not be a part of sports.  Wish IU agreed.

Archived