Should robots invade MLB

snowling

I wish MLB would go to "a robot" to call balls and strikes...

Keep the home plate ump, and just have a little indicator inside of his mask...Green=Strike, Red=Ball

Just my opinion, but every "bad" call I've seen on the bases was totally unintentional...Just a matter of mistaken judgment

Balls and strikes are different...Ron Luchiano even said in one of his books his strike zone could hinge on a few factors...How well he "liked" the pitcher, getaway day, etc...

Three umpires come into  a bar. They were discussing the problems of their occupation.

One said: “Some are balls and some are strikes and I call them as they are.”

The second said: “Some are balls and some are strikes and I call them as I see them.”

But the third umpire said: “I see them coming across, and some are balls and some are strikes, but they’re nothing until I call them.”

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I wish MLB would go to "a robot" to call balls and strikes...

Keep the home plate ump, and just have a little indicator inside of his mask...Green=Strike, Red=Ball

Just my opinion, but every "bad" call I've seen on the bases was totally unintentional...Just a matter of mistaken judgment

Balls and strikes are different...Ron Luchiano even said in one of his books his strike zone could hinge on a few factors...How well he "liked" the pitcher, getaway day, etc...

Three umpires come into  a bar. They were discussing the problems of their occupation.

One said: “Some are balls and some are strikes and I call them as they are.”

The second said: “Some are balls and some are strikes and I call them as I see them.”

But the third umpire said: “I see them coming across, and some are balls and some are strikes, but they’re nothing until I call them.”

I have to disagree on the robo ump calling ball and strikes. They've tried it in the minors and it wasn't accuarate and guys still argued. I also hate the K zone on tv because it isn't accurate on several ball and strikes throughout the game and makes the umpires look bad when the ball could've crossed a section of the plate but doesnt go through the box. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I have to disagree on the robo ump calling ball and strikes. They've tried it in the minors and it wasn't accuarate and guys still argued. I also hate the K zone on tv because it isn't accurate on several ball and strikes throughout the game and makes the umpires look bad when the ball could've crossed a section of the plate but doesnt go through the box. 

It's software. Software improves as it goes along. It won't be in MLB until it's nearly perfect...and it will be...

As I said, my concern with human umpires and ethics is a real one...we all have our biases...

I just get tired of people trying to make sports such a science and they are taking all the emotion and exitement from sports.  We might as well just put robotsout to play the game as well since everything has to be perfect.  Since players make a lot of mistakes playing so they need to be replaced as well.  How about if we just eliminate all real sports and just play them as video games.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

It's software. Software improves as it goes along. It won't be in MLB until it's nearly perfect...and it will be...

As I said, my concern with human umpires and ethics is a real one...we all have our biases...

Bob Knight once questioned officials on his TV show.  Why don't they look at the officials when it comes to "fixing" a game?  

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I just get tired of people trying to make sports such a science and they are taking all the emotion and exitement from sports.  We might as well just put robotsout to play the game as well since everything has to be perfect.  Since players make a lot of mistakes playing so they need to be replaced as well.  How about if we just eliminate all real sports and just play them as video games.

Ah, if you were king Scott, you'd be going to Midnight Madness in a horse and buggy, and bringing a kid to retrieve the ball from the peach basket..

😁

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ah, if you were king Scott, you'd be going to Midnight Madness in a horse and buggy, and bringing a kid to retrieve the ball from the peach basket..

😁

Not at all and I don't mind some changes in sports but when it takes away what sports are supposed to be is when I have a problem.  I was in favor of the 3 point line and shot clock but when they over use it is when it bothers me.  I wish there was a mid night madness to go to and this will be the first I have missed in the last 15 years.

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not at all and I don't mind some changes in sports but when it takes away what sports are supposed to be is when I have a problem.  I was in favor of the 3 point line and shot clock but when they over use it is when it bothers me.  I wish there was a mid night madness to go to and this will be the first I have missed in the last 15 years.

You love discussing balls and strikes don't ya?

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Just ribbin' ya, Hoss...

But if the Reds were in game 7 of the WS, down a run, bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th, 3-2 count...

Wouldn't you want the pitch called right?

Tell that one to Armondo Galarraga...

That's why it's good that they have challenges now which I personally am fine with. I honestly wouldn't be upset if they allowed challenges  on say 2 ball and strike calls a game too just to make managers be super selective on when they used them. I just don't think robo umps is a great answer.

23 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That's why it's good that they have challenges now which I personally am fine with. I honestly wouldn't be upset if they allowed challenges  on say 2 ball and strike calls a game too just to make managers be super selective on when they used them. I just don't think robo umps is a great answer.

Take a look at this

"The Giants had everything fall into place, but couldn't get it done. It didn't help, though, that Drake, a veteran umpire, expanded the zone. In the final three innings, four Giants -- Longoria, Mauricio Dubon and Austin Slater twice -- went down looking on missed calls."

The Giants missed the playoff after losing this game. They were tied with the Brewers, but lost on a tie-breaker...

And I know the article says "To be clear, they are not headed home because of a home plate umpire. The Giants had a chance to clinch a playoff spot before Sunday's finale" but you want every chance in that situation...

I said it earlier, umpires can be guided by their biases, be it wanting to get the season over, or favoring another team...It doesn't take but a few close calls on balls and strikes to change a game...

Take a look at this

"The Giants had everything fall into place, but couldn't get it done. It didn't help, though, that Drake, a veteran umpire, expanded the zone. In the final three innings, four Giants -- Longoria, Mauricio Dubon and Austin Slater twice -- went down looking on missed calls."

The Giants missed the playoff after losing this game. They were tied with the Brewers, but lost on a tie-breaker...

And I know the article says "To be clear, they are not headed home because of a home plate umpire. The Giants had a chance to clinch a playoff spot before Sunday's finale" but you want every chance in that situation...

I said it earlier, umpires can be guided by their biases, be it wanting to get the season over, or favoring another team...It doesn't take but a few close calls on balls and strikes to change a game...

Don't put yourself in that position as a team and that won't happen. How many chances did they get to put themselves in the playoffs and failed. How many times in that game did the Giants have a chance to score another run. Well the answer is sveral. They K'd 12 times. Sorry but that wasn't all on the umpire. They also left 12 guys on base throughout the game. So yeah the ump made a bad call but the Giants had plenty of chances. 

22 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Don't put yourself in that position as a team and that won't happen. How many chances did they get to put themselves in the playoffs and failed. How many times in that game did the Giants have a chance to score another run. Well the answer is sveral. They K'd 12 times. Sorry but that wasn't all on the umpire. They also left 12 guys on base throughout the game. So yeah the ump made a bad call but the Giants had plenty of chances. 

Not "a bad call" if you read the article...

" In the final three innings, four Giants -- Longoria, Mauricio Dubon and Austin Slater twice -- went down looking on missed calls."

Edited by IUFLA

4 hours ago, DC2345 said:

The thing is that what we have today on TV we have no idea how accurate that is.  I would rather that TV would not even put that box on because we hav eno idea how accurate that is.

Why stop with the umpires.  

Let's have robotic players as well.  

Pitchers could always throw an 'unhittable' pitch on the outside corner.  But, wait, the the hitter could be programmed to always look for that pitch and set up the bat speed and launch angle to always hit that pitch out of the park. And, think of the entertainment value if the pitcher throws a beanball and the hitter charges the mound.  Wouldn't a robot fight to the death be better than the sissy fights we see today?

And, we don't have to stop with the umpires and players.  The managers could be robots too.  How much fun would it be to see a robot kick dirt on the plate when he disagrees with a call.  They would have to come up with some alternative language while arguing though.  Calling the umpire an a-hole or a mother trucker really does not make much sense as insults to another robot when you stop and think about it.

Announcers could be robots as well.  The Reds would not have to worry about the likes of Thom Brennaman using slurs on the air.

Robotic fans would definitely be an improvement over the cardboard cutouts we've seen this season.

And finally, robotic vendors could carry around bottles of lubricant instead of beer.  

Yep.  Robots are the way to go.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Why stop with the umpires.  

Let's have robotic players as well.  

Pitchers could always throw an 'unhittable' pitch on the outside corner.  But, wait, the the hitter could be programmed to always look for that pitch and set up the bat speed and launch angle to always hit that pitch out of the park. And, think of the entertainment value if the pitcher throws a beanball and the hitter charges the mound.  Wouldn't a robot fight to the death be better than the sissy fights we see today?

And, we don't have to stop with the umpires and players.  The managers could be robots too.  How much fun would it be to see a robot kick dirt on the plate when he disagrees with a call.  They would have to come up with some alternative language while arguing though.  Calling the umpire an a-hole or a mother trucker really does not make much sense as insults to another robot when you stop and think about it.

Announcers could be robots as well.  The Reds would not have to worry about the likes of Thom Brennaman using slurs on the air.

Robotic fans would definitely be an improvement over the cardboard cutouts we've seen this season.

And finally, robotic vendors could carry around bottles of lubricant instead of beer.  

Yep.  Robots are the way to go.

I realize your comments are tongue in cheek but to be honest, I can see the day that UFC fights, boxing matches, and football are played by "Cyber fighters/players."

I  truly believe it's only a matter of time...

Edited by IUFLA