Pat Chambers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit I did not read the article.  I just know we in 2020 are a very soft country. After reading the IDS article on Feinstein and Knight and how he felt sorry for the players it was great to hear Dan Dakich say that Knight did not  recruit kids. He brought young men to IU and graduated adult men when they left. Make no mistake every player and their parents were told their time at IU would be hell and as hard as it can be but they would be a man when they graduated. 

59 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I admit I did not read the article.  I just know we in 2020 are a very soft country. After reading the IDS article on Feinstein and Knight and how he felt sorry for the players it was great to hear Dan Dakich say that Knight did not  recruit kids. He brought young men to IU and graduated adult men when they left. Make no mistake every player and their parents were told their time at IU would be hell and as hard as it can be but they would be a man when they graduated. 

I remember when the topic of Knight players' overall lack of NBA success came up, I'd say Coach Knight gets his players/young men ready for life more than the NBA.

1 minute ago, cybergates said:

I remember when the topic of Knight players' overall lack of NBA success came up, I'd say Coach Knight gets his player/young men ready for life more than the NBA.

And unfortunately 80% of the parents/kids nowadays would take that coach/school immediately out of consideration the minute a coach said that...

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

For sure, and not to mention that coach wouldn't last long for being too "mean" in today's 🐈 society.

The difference in one generation. I told my wife I would let Knight hit me with a chair if he wanted just to be the last man on the end of the bench and she was like over my dead body would my son play for a coach like that. Different world unfortunately that we live in. 

55 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The difference in one generation. I told my wife I would let Knight hit me with a chair if he wanted just to be the last man on the end of the bench and she was like over my dead body would my son play for a coach like that. Different world unfortunately that we live in. 

My senior year of football I missed a practice because I got poison ivy putting up a deer stand and had to go to the ER for a cortisone shot. The next day after practice my coach made me run 2 miles while he followed me around on the gator the entire time hurling insults while playing Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult on repeat.  He knew I couldn't stand that song. Wish I had him all 4 years. 

10 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My senior year of football I missed a practice because I got poison ivy putting up a deer stand and had to go to the ER for a cortisone shot. The next day after practice my coach made me run 2 miles while he followed me around on the gator the entire time hurling insults while playing Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult. He knew I couldn't stand that song. Wish I had him all 4 years. 

Things that were normal now are considered abuse.

I think I shared a story of a practice my sophmore year that during the 11 man drill I threw a bad pass at teammates feet. Coach said nothing at all. 20 minutes later we did a drill to test our vertical and he had me go first. I ran toward the backboard to jump and slap it to see how high I could get. He stood along the baseline with ball in hand just as I got airborn he gunned the ball at my feet. I went face first onto the court. He said in a calm voice bad things happen when you throw a ball at someones feet. 30 years later not only do I remember that lesson I never did it again and as a coach I emphasized great passing daily. Lesson learned. This Coach is a sure fire hall of famer, and just happened to coach a guy that donned the Candy stripes and now wearing Celtic green

If I read the articles correctly, Chambers resigned because he said the word 'noose' to an African-American player? Obviously I won't know the true intention behind it and how and what manner Chambers said it to the player, but I feel like Penn State just lost a really good coach over a seemingly non-issue. Chambers' official apology would've been enough, but in this day and age, witch hunt is being done in the name of political correctness. 

9 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

If I read the articles correctly, Chambers resigned because he said the word 'noose' to an African-American player? Obviously I won't know the true intention behind it and how and what manner Chambers said it to the player, but I feel like Penn State just lost a really good coach over a seemingly non-issue. Chambers' official apology would've been enough, but in this day and age, witch hunt is being done in the name of political correctness. 

I am guessing it was more than just this one issue.  The "old school" way of motivating players should be in the past if it is demeaning.  IDK, just like sexualizing women in the workplace should be in the past.  Would you be upset if i grabbed your wife's ass, or is it "boys will be boys"?  If his behavior was regularly insipid, then he should be let go. 

38 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My senior year of football I missed a practice because I got poison ivy putting up a deer stand and had to go to the ER for a cortisone shot. The next day after practice my coach made me run 2 miles while he followed me around on the gator the entire time hurling insults while playing Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult on repeat.  He knew I couldn't stand that song. Wish I had him all 4 years. 

Was that Coach Rice?  Wish he would've been there way before that!  Maybe we wouldnt have been drawing plays in the dirt in the middle of games that i had to then draw in the huddle.  🤦‍♂️

Just now, hoosierhoosier said:

I am guessing it was more than just this one issue.  The "old school" way of motivating players should be in the past if it is demeaning.  IDK, just like sexualizing women in the workplace should be in the past.  Would you be upset if i grabbed your wife's ass, or is it "boys will be boys"?  If his behavior was regularly insipid, then he should be let go. 

I guess. If you didn't mind getting beaten up for it. I would not go to your boss and asked for you to be fired I would handle it myself with us boys being boys and it wouldn't happen again and you would have a job. I do feel there is a big difference in sexual harassment and telling a joke that might not sit well. Everything is about context and many things we say and do can be taken completely out of context and used to destroy a person and their career. Some things deserve to be punished harshly and I admit I have not looked into the Chambers situation to be able to make a decision. As a whole I feel we are too PC and soft in general

16 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

If I remember correctly, someone at the time did try to make an issue out of it, but Calbert himself shut it down saying it was no big deal.  

To your point though, the coach wouldn't make it to the next game.  

That incident has been on my mind. Reading through this thread.  So I did some inter web research.  It wasn't some one who tried to make an issue out of it.  For right or wrong.  It was a national orginization.  

Two things about that. One... as you said... Calbert made many statements that he was not offended by the incident.  And two.... I hardly think the incident would not get passed up in 2020, like it was back then.

Archived