Penn State site's scouting reports on IU O and D

Nitwit248

Indiana Defense Scouting Report

Indiana Offense Scouting Report

Penn State fan here. Wanted to get your takes on these scouting reports on your O and D from a PSU site. They love your QB and CB. I admit Penix does look impressive in the MSU game they scouted. Is your o-line as big an issue as they suggest in the article though? Seems like you have a lot of these guys back from last year, so I would just assume they'd be better, right? Anyway, one more day to go. Win or lose, just glad to have the games back.

32 minutes ago, Nitwit248 said:

Penn State fan here. Wanted to get your takes on these scouting reports on your O and D from a PSU site. They love your QB and CB. I admit Penix does look impressive in the MSU game they scouted. Is your o-line as big an issue as they suggest in the article though? Seems like you have a lot of these guys back from last year, so I would just assume they'd be better, right? Anyway, one more day to go. Win or lose, just glad to have the games back.

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation. In terms of the game in general, I am surprised the IU is less than a double digit dog to the Lions.

Also, while I have you here.  And only if you care to share.  What are your thoughts on Patrick Chambers resignation ? 

I think losing Chambers is a big deal, although if you look at the reasons he "resigned" they seem Mike Rice at Rutgers-level bad. Just can't do that type of stuff today...or ever, really. The issue with losing Chambers is it will probably cost Penn State the recruiting in-roads they made in Philadelphia. Prior to Chambers, Penn State would get C to C- level recruits from random spots all around the country. Early with Chambers we got those same C to C- level recruits but all from Philly...which helped us build some equity down the road where we eventually got the occasional B to B+ recruits from Philly like Carr and Stevens. Now, that's gone. And unless some fundamental shift occurs within the athletic department, they're not going to pay anywhere close to what it takes to get a decent replacement next year. Chambers' salary was laughably low -- like a million a year (and I say laughably on comparison to his B10 peers...I think I could squeeze by on a Mil a year haha).

I know we were totally wetting the bed down the stretch last year, but it stinks COVID cancelled the tournament. Would have been cool just to see "Penn State" in the bracket, even if we likely would have been bounced by 1 pm on the first Thursday. 

And thanks for the welcome!

34 minutes ago, Nitwit248 said:

I think losing Chambers is a big deal, although if you look at the reasons he "resigned" they seem Mike Rice at Rutgers-level bad. Just can't do that type of stuff today...or ever, really. The issue with losing Chambers is it will probably cost Penn State the recruiting in-roads they made in Philadelphia. Prior to Chambers, Penn State would get C to C- level recruits from random spots all around the country. Early with Chambers we got those same C to C- level recruits but all from Philly...which helped us build some equity down the road where we eventually got the occasional B to B+ recruits from Philly like Carr and Stevens. Now, that's gone. And unless some fundamental shift occurs within the athletic department, they're not going to pay anywhere close to what it takes to get a decent replacement next year. Chambers' salary was laughably low -- like a million a year (and I say laughably on comparison to his B10 peers...I think I could squeeze by on a Mil a year haha).

I know we were totally wetting the bed down the stretch last year, but it stinks COVID cancelled the tournament. Would have been cool just to see "Penn State" in the bracket, even if we likely would have been bounced by 1 pm on the first Thursday. 

And thanks for the welcome!

Appreciate your response.  Hoosier Sports Nation is always open and willing to hear from other B1G fans. So long as they bring us value and are civil. One long time member is a Purdue fan. 

Open offer for you to continue to come back.... especially after Saturday's game.

I skimmed both and didn’t see any major objections. It’s looks like a solid site that I’ll probably visit again. 

Bedford started last year as a true Fr after an injury. I don’t think any IU fans are too concerned about him. 

I think IU fans are generally more excited about Scott than they are. 

I’m in the same boat as far as basketball. It would have been nice to see IU announced. It’s been way too long. 

2 hours ago, Nitwit248 said:

The breakdown of the MSU game was Bedfords first start as a true FR. Little confused why he isn't a fan of Scott... for his 23 game career, Scott avgs 99 yards of offense and 1TD per game. 

On our team, the OL is the weakest position group, but the two tackles are the best two players on that group. They performed above avg to well last year as a SO and true FR. I do agree with the guy that 1st and 2nd down might actually be more important than 3rd down in this game for our offense. It can't constantly be 2nd 9-12 because we can't get a push in the offensive line. I do expect us to throw it a lot and quick. Hendershot is a stud (TE) and it darn good after the catch (most YAC for TE in the country last year) a lot of that was by design to compensate for the OL, but a lot of it was for PHs skill set, as well. You guys recruited him hard and at one point I thought he was going to flip for PSU. 

He does a pretty solid job of breaking us down, honestly. The comment about Penix's 22.8 200 is stupid though, that's really really good speed, especially for a QB. NOW... does that speed show up a lot on the football field? Not as much as I would like and he certainly doesn't cut like Ramsey... but... he hits a seam, he's going to get 20-30 before sliding down, no question. I would not call him dual threat by any means.. can he be effective with his legs, at times? yes. 

If someone held a gun to my head and said "who will win PSU or IU?".. I'd certainly say PSU.... but... PSU will have to play well for that to happen. 

These "writers" and all that never talk about the most important part of these games, you HAVE TO PLAY WELL. Have to execute, have to tackle well, have to be good on 1st and 3rd down. Have to not have penalties on SPT. Control your controllables. 

I read about half of it and was tired of all the cheap shots at IU and quit reading.  If there wouldn't have been so many little digs and jabs here and there and just analysis, it probably wouldn't have been a terrible breakdown.

I agree that I don't get the dislike of Scott.  He isn't a guy who will always plow you over, and he isn't a guy who will always run away from you, but he has a little bit of both in him.  To basically have 2000 yards after your sophomore year is no small accomplishment.

I think most here would agree that we're worried about the OL.  I think the starting 5 will be decent, but if/when we start having injuries, it could get rough.  Our new OC has talked a lot about wanting to improve the run game from last year, so it will be interesting to see what differences there are this year to try to improve that.  Not too worried about pass protection.  I think Penix has only been sacked once in his career, and it was a broken play against MSU.  He gets it out so quick that he doesn't allow much time to rush.

On defense, I think 90% of our success will come down to our DL.  If they can rush the passer, that will be a game changer.  With Mullen, Taylor, and a couple other talented corners, we can lock guys down if we don't let the QB have all day to throw.  Get some pressure, and that will be a huge difference.  We hardly got any last year, and I think that's why our takeaways were way down.

ttps://fortheblogy.com/dispensing-thoughts-and-opinions-psu-indiana/

"We were wrong to label Indiana MLB Micah McFadden with the red tint in our Indiana Defense scouting report. The guy played great today Kudos to him."

https://fortheblogy.com/sunday-column-the-curtain-opens-on-2020and-penn-state-wishes-it-hadnt/

"You know the rest. Penix, who seemed to throw only two kinds of passes Saturday – unnecessarily wild or insanely perfect – found Philyor with a step on Lamont Wade in the corner for six, then extended the football into the pylon after, ahem, bouncing it off the ground first, for a two-point conversion that will live in infamy in both Bloomington and State College, or at least until the next time Penn State visits Memorial Stadium."

23 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I doubt it will live in infamy in Bloomington.  Strange comment.  

As far as I what I saw, I didn’t see Franklin bitch about the last call.  I give him credit for that.  Take your medicine like a man.  

That dude writing those articles seems like a smug ******.  I think that describes 90% of that fanbase though.  So happy our top 10 win came against that scum university.

6 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

That site is hardly even worth reading.  I can respect good analysis, which it has some of, but good god - this fella is self-righteous as all hell.  It's just a college football team, man, lower your superiority complex a bit.

We'll see if starting 0-2 has an effect. 

Archived