INDIANA UPSETS #8 PENN STATE POSTGAME THREAD

KDB

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just look at the rushing numbers.

Look at the number of open receivers Penix missed early in the game. 

Not to mention the special team gaffe at the end of the game.

We were good defensively, but also got the benefit of the Penn State kicker having an off day.

I will take the win and accept that under these conditions, we overcame. But we have lots of room to improve 

I agree he was struggling. But you have to tip your hat to his mental toughness to turn it around the last drive of regulation and the drive in OT, including two 2 point conversions.   

Yes he was coming off an injury and faced a top ten team without being able to ramp up against lesser teams. He’s got work to do.  I think the play calling could have been better too to help him out.  

But I’m very impressed with his mental toughness.   Hopefully his accuracy gets back on track.  In my mind, I categorize him as the player who hit 20 straight on the road against Michigan State.  He just has to get back to where he was.  Let’s hope those last drives give him the momentum and energy to get closer to what he was last year.  

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I was 8 months old the last time we beat a top 10 team.  I don't give a rat's ass if ref came right out and said "he didn't score, but we feel bad for IU, so we're going to give it to him."  Also, I thought from the angle looking down the goal line from a higher view showed that the point of the ball was clearly ahead of the part of the ball that hit the pylon.

I was 17 years old in 1987 and it has been a long hard journey being an IU fan.  1987 probably was the best year in IU sports in a long time with winning the basketball championship and beating both OSU and UM.

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

We were good defensively, but also got the benefit of the Penn State kicker having an off day.

I will take the win and accept that under these conditions, we overcame. But we have lots of room to improve 

So we aren't good? Then obviously Penn St is not good. 100%. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Rushing numbers? You mean QB scrambles for them. Cool. 

We stuffed their true running game. STUFFED. 

Our QB that missed a lot of time missed passes vs a top 10 team? Lol how shocking.  

Your stance on this is absurd. 

No, talking about our rushing numbers, which were pathetic.

Got it that Penix was rusty. Still doesn’t translate into us being good.

We won a game that in the past would never have been. For this, I am optimistic. Penix needs to show a lot more to have this game not be a one off. Penn State won’t turn the ball over like they did today. They won’t have a kick returner make boneheaded plays like happened today.

We need to be better so that we aren’t relying on mistakes by the other team to win 

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Anyone not concerned about how the offense played for 3.5 quarters I don't know what game they watched.  The OL did not open many holes for the backs and Jones had trouble with the outside rush.  Penix was pretty bad for 3 quarters but made up for it with his last two drives.  I will take any win as an IU fan and don't really care they played poorly for most part.  I did not really like the play calling from Sheridan especially early by running on first down all the time.

If I was a PSU fan I would be crying about the missed field goals, lopsided yards gained, phantom face mask call and two point conversion that could have been called either way.   
As a long suffering IU fan, that has a TON of experience in regards to how this works, I have news/advice for them......

You can bitch and moan all you want but in a week everyone else will forget about the controversy and move on to the fact that PSU is 0-1 and IU Is 1-0 baby!!!

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree he was struggling. But you have to tip your hat to his mental toughness to turn it around the last drive of regulation and the drive in OT, including two 2 point conversions.   

Yes he was coming off an injury and faced a top ten team without being able to ramp up against lesser teams. He’s got work to do.  I think the play calling could have been better too to help him out.  

But I’m very impressed with his mental toughness.   Hopefully his accuracy gets back on track.  In my mind, I categorize him as the player who hit 20 straight on the road against Michigan State.  He just has to get back to where he was.  Let’s hope those last drives give him the momentum and energy to get closer to what he was last year.  

He showed last year he is an accurate passer but he looked rushed today

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Anyone not concerned about how the offense played for 3.5 quarters I don't know what game they watched.  The OL did not open many holes for the backs and Jones had trouble with the outside rush.  Penix was pretty bad for 3 quarters but made up for it with his last two drives.  I will take any win as an IU fan and don't really care they played poorly for most part.  I did not really like the play calling from Sheridan especially early by running on first down all the time.

Wow. Sheridan was really good. 

I've been begging in my mind to catch a break since 1995 when IU barely lost to Penn St and cost them a title. All I know is this. The taste of that onside kick vs Tennessee is out our mouth. Full throttle mode moving forward. Phenomenal win. The film room at 11am tomorrow is going to be met with joy. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Never opening up one of these threads again though. Promise that. 

Good for you but we have the same right as you to post what we saw.  The offense for 3.5 quarters was not good and could not get in a rythm and played poorly.  to there credit they did not put there heads down but stayed fighting and over came it.  I did not like Sheridians play calling at all especially early on.  Also late in the game up 6 he did not try to run some of the clock and passed like 8 straight plays and two punts.

A few of my points about the game.

• I thought the defense played great. We spent a lot of time on the field, and made a lot of big plays at a lot of times.  We still need to get better pressure without blitzing, and do a better job of stopping the QB scrambling.  ESPN's SP+ ranks PSU as the #7 offense, which I know is tough to tell at this point, but this wasn't some scrub offense.  It's an elite offense, and we held them to 28 points in regulation with a struggling offense, and forced 3 turnovers.
  • It was nice to see us get some takeaways.  That held us back last season.  We were able to force some bad throws and capitalized on them.
  • I can't imagine the offense will look this bad again all season.  Penix was brutal through 3.5 quarters.  He settled down the last few drives, and I expect to see a lot more of that moving forward.  He still needs to work on his touch.  The pass to Hendershot should have been caught, but it was coming at about 94 mph.  He was under pressure, so that might have rushed him a bit.
  • I get the worry about Penix getting injured, but we have got to let him move.  He is so much better when he can get out of the pocket, throw on the run, and use his feet to scramble.  He also needs to keep it instead of giving it to Scott every time.  It will open up more room for Scott too.
  • Outside of Jones getting beat a few times in a row, the OL wasn't terrible.  We opened up a few holes in the first half, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.
  • Campbell is going to be a stud.
  • Lol at the dude who wrote the article that said McFadden wasn't good.  How'd that work out?  He was everywhere tonight.
  • Glad to make it through healthy except for Marshall.  Not sure if we had any other injuries tonight?
  • Congrats to Coach Allen.  He has to be on top of the world tonight, and he deserves all kinds of accolades for all he's done here.  Couldn't be happier for him.

Just now, btownqb said:

Wow. Sheridan was really good. 

You obviously know more about coaching than I do.  But when Penix started spraying the ball around down field I would have improvised and tightened up the throws.  Try to get some shorter throws.  Get him some layups and momentum to kick start him.

Also Scott looked good and I would have kept him in the backfield and sprinkled in more runs and definitely played off of it with play action pass.  I do agree that the Lions were probably waiting on the run. So I applaud that we didn’t fall into the trap.  But I would have done it the way I suggested above.  There were times we went empty backfield and that takes hesitation out on the run or play action pass.  I wasn’t a huge fan of that.  

There were some plays I would have Scott in as an extra blocker too, especially when we saw them pin their ears back.

At receiver, especially outside I would have gotten the younger guys more snaps. Less experienced but more explosive.  We didn’t get much in the home run hitting camp today.  

Obviously you know how much I respect you as a coach but that was my feel.  The biggest thing was having Penix keep throwing downfield when he was obviously struggling. I would have looked at that and tried to get him some success elsewhere.  They did have him move around late which worked great and his calls late were great especially on both 2 point conversions.  

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Way way too critical of the offense. We didn't play the sisters of the poor. 

certainly needs to improve... before Scotts last two rushes of the first half he was 10 carries for 47 yards.

Only reason the offense wasn't it needed to be was Penix and two drops. 

My goodness. 

Listen, I respect you and your opinion as a football coach. Back in the day, I was one as well.

Don’t particularly care for your choice of descriptive words, but I am a big boy.

Not sure what position you coach, but cannot be pleased with the lack of push by the OL. 

I believe in the axiom that good teams are defined by the guys in the trenches. We did well on the DL but the OL has to improve.

I will never be upset with a win because it is better to win ugly than lose pretty.  On the other hand PSU offense gave us 4 turnvers in the first half and the two INT's were just bad passes.  With how good clifford is I don't know why there coach tries the wild cat becaus eit hurt them twice.  The second one resulted in a fumble inside the 5 yard line.  If they left Clifford in that possession it would probably reulted in a TD instead of a fumble.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Never opening up one of these threads again though. Promise that. 

Maybe 12 was too many.

In all seriousness, I also had a lot of issues with the play calling today. It was very clear that Penix was struggling yet we did not make adjustments and give him optionality on higher percentage throws. Fortunately, it looked like he was finally able to shake off the rust the last few drives to bring us back. He deserves a ton of credit for the heart and determination displayed late.

Ultimately, I don't have concerns about his talent or ability to run a more vertical offense that we seem to want to run. I think we'll see him sharpen up in the coming weeks. My concern remains around the inability, or unwillingness, to adjust the game plan when the calls on offense were obviously not working for long periods of time. We continually forced 1st down runs which resulted in a lot of 3rd and longs. Those long conversion opportunities ended up as mostly toss up balls outside the hash marks. Even on top of his game, that's not a sustainable game plan as the predictability against top teams is going to continue to put the defense in a really difficult position. We won't win many games if the D, as strong as it may be, is on the field twice as much as the offense.

21 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

If I was a PSU fan I would be crying about the missed field goals, lopsided yards gained, phantom face mask call and two point conversion that could have been called either way.   
As a long suffering IU fan, that has a TON of experience in regards to how this works, I have news/advice for them......

You can bitch and moan all you want but in a week everyone else will forget about the controversy and move on to the fact that PSU is 0-1 and IU Is 1-0 baby!!!

If I’m a PSU fan I’m wondering why Franklin didn’t go into victory formation when they had the ball at your 14. That is inexcusable and very Hazell-esque. 

14 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

A few of my points about the game.

• I thought the defense played great. We spent a lot of time on the field, and made a lot of big plays at a lot of times.  We still need to get better pressure without blitzing, and do a better job of stopping the QB scrambling.  ESPN's SP+ ranks PSU as the #7 offense, which I know is tough to tell at this point, but this wasn't some scrub offense.  It's an elite offense, and we held them to 28 points in regulation with a struggling offense, and forced 3 turnovers.
  • It was nice to see us get some takeaways.  That held us back last season.  We were able to force some bad throws and capitalized on them.
  • I can't imagine the offense will look this bad again all season.  Penix was brutal through 3.5 quarters.  He settled down the last few drives, and I expect to see a lot more of that moving forward.  He still needs to work on his touch.  The pass to Hendershot should have been caught, but it was coming at about 94 mph.  He was under pressure, so that might have rushed him a bit.
  • I get the worry about Penix getting injured, but we have got to let him move.  He is so much better when he can get out of the pocket, throw on the run, and use his feet to scramble.  He also needs to keep it instead of giving it to Scott every time.  It will open up more room for Scott too.
  • Outside of Jones getting beat a few times in a row, the OL wasn't terrible.  We opened up a few holes in the first half, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.
  • Campbell is going to be a stud.
  • Lol at the dude who wrote the article that said McFadden wasn't good.  How'd that work out?  He was everywhere tonight.
  • Glad to make it through healthy except for Marshall.  Not sure if we had any other injuries tonight?
  • Congrats to Coach Allen.  He has to be on top of the world tonight, and he deserves all kinds of accolades for all he's done here.  Couldn't be happier for him.

Excellent analysis.  The defense was very tough, and I mean in terms of tenacity, will to win, and heart.  We know we are athletic but they were not to be denied for the most part.  Love their attitude and grit.  

I thought the defensive tackles were just phenomenal in the run game.  They were tough to push off the ball.  

In terms of pass rush, the ends weren’t great but Wommack dialed up some well devised blitzes.  

I thought the LB, S and DBs were great.   They need to clean up the one bomb we lost late and maybe some of the scrambles where there were big chunk yards left for the QB.  

But overall, they were tremendous.  They were put in tough spots.  Pressure spots.  Love their heart.  

For more IU football season than I can count I've looked up and asked, "Will IU ever be on the winning end of one of these heartbreakers?".  Today, it happened.  While I expected it would come in the form of IU getting all of the breaks and winning easily, it came down to another heartbreaker; this time for PSU.  Gotta give it up to Coach Allen for going for the win.  Does anyone else think he might have been discussing that possibility with Coach Hart a few plays prior?

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

If I’m a PSU fan I’m wondering why Franklin didn’t go into victory formation when they had the ball at your 14. That is inexcusable and very Hazell-esque. 

I don't think they would have been able to run out the clock, but at a minimum, you have to tell your RB 20 times to not score.  That has to be said over, and over, and over again by the coach, and then over, and over by the QB in the huddle.  Allen/Wommack caught them off guard, and that was bad coaching by Franklin.

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Just the way I was upset wse didn't do that in the first half.  Instead we fumbled with 2 seconds left but lucked out on a miss FG

5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't think they would have been able to run out the clock, but at a minimum, you have to tell your RB 20 times to not score.  That has to be said over, and over, and over again by the coach, and then over, and over by the QB in the huddle.  Allen/Wommack caught them off guard, and that was bad coaching by Franklin.

Wasn’t there less than 2 minutes left and you guys had 1 timeout? If it hadn’t run out it would’ve been pretty close I’m guessing. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just the way I was upset wse didn't do that in the first half.  Instead we fumbled with 2 seconds left but lucked out on a miss FG

Their FG kicker deserves a ton of blame too. Missing 2 very make-able FG’s. I’m very torn tbh. I do enjoy IU losing but I also can’t stand Penn State either haha. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Wasn’t there less than 2 minutes left and you guys had 1 timeout? If it hadn’t run out it would’ve been pretty close I’m guessing. 

I was thinking at the time that we would have about 30 seconds left if they kicked a FG on 4th down.  I know with a 1st down they would have been able to take a knee.

Archived