INDIANA UPSETS #8 PENN STATE POSTGAME THREAD

KDB

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said, I was on a conference call for work when we won the game and I could not really process the emotions in the moment. Once the call ended, I pressed the rewind button the DVR and it was just like it was not a replay at all, I got all the emotions out yelling and some tears of happiness. I love IU football, always have. I love this coach. I love this team. Let's keep it going! IU!

I was happy when we offered Coach Allen the job for a couple of reasons.  First, I think he may have been headed back down south had we not made the call.  Secondly I think (and hope) he looks at IU as a destination job.  Unfortunately I had to listen to local Louisville radio impune the hire.  Lachlan McClain very dismissively said "I learned all I needed to know about IU football when they offered the job to Tom Allen".  Well, I wish Lachlan would watch those locker room videos and tell me now IU made the wrong/lazy choice.  How can anyone watch those video's and not be ready to run through a wall for that guy?  I haven't been this excited about IU football since Terry Hoeppner said we were a "Rocketship"...and I believed him.

Great Win Men!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

My biggest disappointment is that Hoosier fans weren’t there to celebrate this. Those football fans have been through some rough rough years. They deserved to witness that win and the team deserved to feel the crowds appreciation.

Agree 100%. Feel bad for all the IU and Purdue students who couldn’t attend these games on a gorgeous fall afternoon. Let the kids in! 

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

I was happy when we offered Coach Allen the job for a couple of reasons.  First, I think he may have been headed back down south had we not made the call.  Secondly I think (and hope) he looks at IU as a destination job.  Unfortunately I had to listen to local Louisville radio impune the hire.  Lachlan McClain very dismissively said "I learned all I needed to know about IU football when they offered the job to Tom Allen".  Well, I wish Lachlan would watch those locker room videos and tell me now IU made the wrong/lazy choice.  How can anyone watch those video's and not be ready to run through a wall for that guy?  I haven't been this excited about IU football since Terry Hoeppner said we were a "Rocketship"...and I believed him.

Great Win Men!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree.   Often the people who impugn have no idea what the bleep they are looking at. Tom Allen even at that point had performed essentially a miracle on IU’s defense. If you knew the details of what he had been doing and the other data from his past, there was no reason to impugn.  He’s a very good person too.  The players connect with him.  He’s probably the ideal match for IU football.  

After watching the sort of overhead review ESPN had... theres really no question the tip of the ball crossed the line. 

Serves them right. 

We were good today. We're a good football team. Never heard of yardage as a barometer. Penix looked like he should, rusty. Kid showed up when it mattered.

Peyton makes a catch none of this matters. 

5 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Ugh, there must be a lot of people cutting onions in my house.  My eyes...

I've probably watched this 30 times tonight.... guys listen to me... this matters. The kids have bought in, they believe in CA and never underestimate that as a weapon.  As a coach, when you know your kids will run through a wall for you... you have something at your arsenal few coaches possess. 

Execute against Rutgers, they them we're here to stay . I'm ready for next Saturday. I know our guys are too.  

10 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

A few of my points about the game.

• I thought the defense played great. We spent a lot of time on the field, and made a lot of big plays at a lot of times.  We still need to get better pressure without blitzing, and do a better job of stopping the QB scrambling.  ESPN's SP+ ranks PSU as the #7 offense, which I know is tough to tell at this point, but this wasn't some scrub offense.  It's an elite offense, and we held them to 28 points in regulation with a struggling offense, and forced 3 turnovers.
  • It was nice to see us get some takeaways.  That held us back last season.  We were able to force some bad throws and capitalized on them.
  • I can't imagine the offense will look this bad again all season.  Penix was brutal through 3.5 quarters.  He settled down the last few drives, and I expect to see a lot more of that moving forward.  He still needs to work on his touch.  The pass to Hendershot should have been caught, but it was coming at about 94 mph.  He was under pressure, so that might have rushed him a bit.
  • I get the worry about Penix getting injured, but we have got to let him move.  He is so much better when he can get out of the pocket, throw on the run, and use his feet to scramble.  He also needs to keep it instead of giving it to Scott every time.  It will open up more room for Scott too.
  • Outside of Jones getting beat a few times in a row, the OL wasn't terrible.  We opened up a few holes in the first half, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.
  • Campbell is going to be a stud.
  • Lol at the dude who wrote the article that said McFadden wasn't good.  How'd that work out?  He was everywhere tonight.
  • Glad to make it through healthy except for Marshall.  Not sure if we had any other injuries tonight?
  • Congrats to Coach Allen.  He has to be on top of the world tonight, and he deserves all kinds of accolades for all he's done here.  Couldn't be happier for him.

All very good points. The defense was great and got no help from the offense.

The D had to be gassed, which I believe played into Allen’s decision to go for two. Doubt we could have kept matching scores in OT.

Not impressed with offensive play calling or formations as others have noted. Don’t like all the empty backfields. Not giving Jones help on the possession after going down 1 was inexcusable. Especially after the first sack.

Penix- great effort at end, but really struggled most of game. Not only overthrowing receivers, but didn’t make good reads. Needs to be a lot better, but tough to open against PSU. Sheridan didn’t make it easier for him either.

All that said, a great win for the program. After playing PSU close so many times, it was so great to finally get one. So glad they called the conversion good on the field. Looks like tip of ball made it over, but no way they overturn if it was ruled short

We were eventually going to have to keep going for 2. The defense played hard but they had nothing left in the tank. Even if we kept scoring we were going to have to go for 2 after the next OT. Just man up now and win it here. Caught some breaks towards the end but the guys made the plays they needed and deserved to win.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We were eventually going to have to keep going for 2. The defense played hard but they had nothing left in the tank. Even if we kept scoring we were going to have to go for 2 after the next OT. Just man up now and win it here. Caught some breaks towards the end but the guys made the plays they needed and deserved to win.

I agree with that call as well. The D was exhausted and PSU was able to score / move the call easier than we were. When the opportunity came, it was the right call to seize the moment, capitalize on that momentum and show the confidence in your team. So glad it worked out. 

10 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't know about you guys, but this was the most animated I've been about a final play of any game since the Wat Shot.  More than the PU game last year.

There's a guy at my Kroger here in town who is strange in the sense that he absolutely loves IU Football and could care less about hoops. We've talked for years. Had to go pick up some Sunday crockpot/NFL foods this morning and he's head to toe smiling. 

Can't say it enough. Get that onside kick taste vs Tennessee  out of their mouths for good and get this win is so huge. That's a win this crew will remember forever....and at same time makes them hungrier for that feeling again. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

There's a guy at my Kroger here in town who is strange in the sense that he absolutely loves IU Football and could care less about hoops. We've talked for years. Had to go pick up some Sunday crockpot/NFL foods this morning and he's head to toe smiling. 

Can't say it enough. Get that onside kick taste vs Tennessee  out of their mouths for good and get this win is so huge. That's a win this crew will remember forever....and at same time makes them hungrier for that feeling again. 

As much as that bowl loss hurt, I am sure there were plenty of times during the offseason that it was used as motivation for our guys.  I'm sure our guys went into the offseason extremely hungry.

Respect the hell out of Allen for going for 2.  I thought it was the right decision.  No need to try and go another OT when we were struggling lately to stop them.  

Props to Penix for never losing focus after struggling for most of the game.  Big players make big plays and he certainly made the biggest.

Welcome to the top 25 fellas!  

Archived