Where will we be ranked?

KDB

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

Painful and frustrating yes....but I’m telling you guys in the eyes of the committee, a healthy Penix led IU team, we are top 10 easy....but in reality the committee most likely sees a Tuttle led team with uncertainty. This has to be a huge part of their rational..........It just Sux!

Totally valid observation. It would be nice however, if the committee credited Tuttle's actual win instead of hedging bets on any uncertain/unrealized/totally-projected-and-not-actual loss that he's yet to receive. 

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

The way I see it, there are plenty of paths for us to stay in the New Years 6 bowls.  Right now, we're the last team in.

Right now, there are 14 teams for 12 spots.  The 15-18 teams don't play, so they're not jumping us.  UNC could get to 12, but we'd be ahead of them, so it doesn't really matter.

If 2 out of Northwestern, Coastal Carolina, Oklahoma, or Cincinnati lose, we're in.  Any of them lose, they'll be below us.  Any of them win, I think they'll be ahead of us.  2 losses from those teams, we're a lock.

If 3 of those teams win, it gets more complicated.  We'll need a 3 loss Florida, or a 3 loss Iowa State to drop below us.

If all 4 of those teams win, we'll need a 3 loss Florida, and a 3 loss Iowa State to both drop below us.  I don't have a lot of faith in that happening after tonight's rankings.

Excellent analysis.

I really can't see Northwestern hanging with OSU so I think we are good there.

I guess I am with with @btownqbin rooting for Iowa State to beat up Oklahoma because I don't trust the committee to drop Iowa St below us after the Florida situation.

I really would love to see Bama kick the sh*& out of Florida after this ranking fiasco.

I would feel better if Coastal Carolina lost to Troy in that tight game...hoping they lose this week or I think they could jump us.

Bottom line: This committee is a joke. 

GO Tulsa, Iowa St, Bama, Lousiana, and O$U.

2 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Totally valid observation. It would be nice however, if the committee credited Tuttle's actual win instead of hedging bets on any uncertain/unrealized/totally-projected-and-not-actual loss that he's yet to receive. 

Remember, after Penix went down, #12 IU at #16 Wisconsin was full of uncertainty and odds makers had Wisky -13. We really need another game to show them we are legit.

8 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Excellent analysis.

I really can't see Northwestern hanging with OSU so I think we are good there.

I guess I am with with @btownqbin rooting for Iowa State to beat up Oklahoma because I don't trust the committee to drop Iowa St below us after the Florida situation.

I really would love to see Bama kick the sh*& out of Florida after this ranking fiasco.

I would feel better if Coastal Carolina lost to Troy in that tight game...hoping they lose this week or I think they could jump us.

Bottom line: This committee is a joke. 

GO Tulsa, Iowa St, Bama, Lousiana, and O$U.

I can't imagine Northwestern winning either.  OSU has known for a while that they would likely be playing Northwestern, so they've had a lot of time to prepare.

If OSU wins, this is what has to happen to keep us out of an NY6 bowl.  Keep in mind, all of these things would have to happen.

Coastal Carolina beat Louisiana and jump us in the rankings.

Cincinnati beat Tulsa.

Oklahoma beat Iowa State, and Iowa State not fall below us.

Florida beat Alabama, or lose to Alabama and not fall below us.

I would recommend placing a parlay bet on all of those things happening.  If all of those happen, you'd probably get a good chunk of money to drown your sorrows in us missing out.

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The BCS never really bothered me... the fact that there wasn't a playoff is what bothered me. I also don't have a big issue with it being 4 teams, but I think I would prefer 8. 

Could you imagine if only 2 teams made it this year?  That could be pretty crazy if Notre Dame loses to Clemson.

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

The BCS never really bothered me... the fact that there wasn't a playoff is what bothered me. I also don't have a big issue with it being 4 teams, but I think I would prefer 8. 

Agreed.  The BCS wasn't terrible.  What was bad, the powers that be refused to let more than 2 teams in.

20 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Jerry Palm dropped IU from the NY6 Fiesta bowl vs USC and now has Hoosiers playing vs Auburn in Citrus bowl. He actually has North Carolina in Orange bowl vs Texas A&M which seems crazy to me. He now has USC vs Iowa St in Fiesta.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/bowls/predictions/

Ya know....this crap is perfect bulletin board material for IU. The "NEW IU"...needs to consistently prove it on the field, shock the "know-it-alls" and continue to build this "MONSTER"!

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Jerry Palm dropped IU from the NY6 Fiesta bowl vs USC and now has Hoosiers playing vs Auburn in Citrus bowl. He actually has North Carolina in Orange bowl vs Texas A&M which seems crazy to me. He now has USC vs Iowa St in Fiesta.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/bowls/predictions/

What a moron.  He's going by the idea that the Orange Bowl takes an ACC team.  Once an ACC team is in the playoff, they don't have to do that anymore.  They can't take an ACC team that is ranked 15th and leave out the 11th ranked team.

48 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

What a moron.  He's going by the idea that the Orange Bowl takes an ACC team.  Once an ACC team is in the playoff, they don't have to do that anymore.  They can't take an ACC team that is ranked 15th and leave out the 11th ranked team.

He also has a 2-8 South Carolina team going to the Gator bowl 🤡

Here are the committee members.  If there is any question about the love for 3 loss Florida, this answers it. , And, the love for Iowa State was intentional as well because it helped make Oklahoma look better.  

As of March 2020, the members of the selection committee are:[12][14]

Member Position Conference affiliation[a] Recusals[b] Term expires
Gary Barta (chair) Iowa athletic director Big Ten Iowa February 2022
Paola Boivin Former Arizona Republic reporter, current Arizona State faculty member N/A Arizona State February 2021
Tom Burman Wyoming athletic director MW Wyoming February 2023
Joe Castiglione Oklahoma athletic director Big 12 Oklahoma February 2021
Rick George Colorado athletic director Pac-12 Colorado February 2023
Ken Hatfield Former Rice, Air Force, Arkansas and Clemson head coach N/A None February 2021
Ronnie Lott Former USC defensive back N/A None February 2021
Terry Mohajir Arkansas State athletic director Sun Belt Arkansas State February 2022
Ray Odierno Former Army Chief of Staff N/A NC State February 2022
R. C. Slocum Former Texas A&M coach and interim athletic director SEC Arizona State, Texas A&M February 2022
Todd Stansbury Georgia Tech athletic director ACC Georgia Tech February 2021
Scott Stricklin Florida athletic director SEC Florida, Mississippi State February 2021
John Urschel Former Penn State offensive tackle N/A None February 2023

Archived