Where will we be ranked?

KDB

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

Do you think it will matter if IU gets PU or Iowa if Wisconsin beats Iowa this weekend? If Iowa beats WI I think it would help IU for sure...just not sure if WI wins.

Either way, it looks like we're going to play Iowa next week.  I think having them ranked as high as possible is best for us.  Wisconsin moving back into the top 25 would help, but I don't think it would help as much as beating a top 15 Iowa.

Just now, btownqb said:

I thought that if a conference had someone in the CFP... you got someone else in a NY6 game? Am I wrong?

Good question.  From a quick glance, it looks like the because the Rose Bowl is one of the playoff games, it wouldn't work out that way.  If the Rose Bowl wasn't one of the playoff games, then they would take the next best B1G team.  Our other possible tie-in would be the Orange Bowl, but they would take the 2nd best SEC team over us.  That would leave the Cotton, Fiesta, and Peach as our only options.

Not sure if all of that is 100% accurate, but that is what I gathered from a little searching.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Good question.  From a quick glance, it looks like the because the Rose Bowl is one of the playoff games, it wouldn't work out that way.  If the Rose Bowl wasn't one of the playoff games, then they would take the next best B1G team.  Our other possible tie-in would be the Orange Bowl, but they would take the 2nd best SEC team over us.  That would leave the Cotton, Fiesta, and Peach as our only options.

Not sure if all of that is 100% accurate, but that is what I gathered from a little searching.

I think there has to be a big ten team in it. Certainly seems like it. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I think there has to be a big ten team in it. Certainly seems like it. 

So far, the lowest the #2 team in the B1G has been is #8, so we've always had at least 2 teams in NY6 bowls. Without the Rose Bowl as an option, it doesn't look like we have to get 2 in this year. At least that seems to be what I'm seeing.

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

In general... preseason rankings are absolutely a joke and should not be a thing. 

My issue is that it is so tough to overcome the preseason rankings.  If we would have started the year as the #1 team, we might be top 5 right now.  Since we weren't ranked, it is tough to move past teams, even if we play better than them.

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

My issue is that it is so tough to overcome the preseason rankings.  If we would have started the year as the #1 team, we might be top 5 right now.  Since we weren't ranked, it is tough to move past teams, even if we play better than them.

Thats why finishing strong thnis year is so big. We could legit be a top 5 or 6 school preseason for next year. 

7 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Correct. Obviously this year is different... but there should never before rankings before week 3. Everyone plays 3 games and then start rankings teams. I cannot stand it. 

If we start this season even like 20th we would be top 10 EASY. And in all honesty, we probably should have started the season ranked after going 8-5 and bringing EVERYTHING back. But oh well. 

50 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Correct. Obviously this year is different... but there should never before rankings before week 3. Everyone plays 3 games and then start rankings teams. I cannot stand it. 

If we start this season even like 20th we would be top 10 EASY. And in all honesty, we probably should have started the season ranked after going 8-5 and bringing EVERYTHING back. But oh well. 

In the preseason coaches poll, we got 1 point.  Nebraska had 3.  That makes lots of sense.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thats why finishing strong thnis year is so big. We could legit be a top 5 or 6 school preseason for next year. 

We obviously have a ton more momentum and fanfare this year, but it worries me that we'll get ranked bad this offseason and have another uphill battle next year.

If we beat Iowa, and win our bowl game, there's no way we should be outside the top 10 going into next year.  What should happen and what will happen are probably 2 different things though.

5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

We obviously have a ton more momentum and fanfare this year, but it worries me that we'll get ranked bad this offseason and have another uphill battle next year.

If we beat Iowa, and win our bowl game, there's no way we should be outside the top 10 going into next year.  What should happen and what will happen are probably 2 different things though.

Now.. to be fair... winning at IU (football wise) was ALWAYS going to be an uphill climb. We are approaching the redzone though. Going to have to make a downfield pass to Hewitt and get us inside the 5 and go from there... if you see my comparison. We are close, even closer than January, August, and October. Don't Blink. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Now.. to be fair... winning at IU (football wise) was ALWAYS going to be an uphill climb. We are approaching the redzone though. Going to have to make a downfield pass to Hewitt and get us inside the 5 and go from there... if you see my comparison. We are close, even closer than January, August, and October. Don't Blink. 

If we do end up scoring, I hope we go for 2.

Archived