Realistic long term expectations

So...we can all agree it has been a great week for IU football. However, it got me to thinking...I am old enough to remember the Mallory years, even 1987 when we beat O$U and UM. I expected that IU would be "good" in football for a long time under Mallory...it didn't last as long as I had hoped. Coach Allen seems to be a fantastic fit for IU football long term, but it has me wondering what expectations we can expect for next 5-10 years (assuming he stays in Bloomington). We have improved facilities and recruiting is much better than in the past it seems, especially with the Florida pipeline. I would like to think we could be similar to what MSU has been in the past...6-9 wins a season and consistent lower to mid tier bowl games. What say you Hoosier nation? What are your expectations for the next decade of IU football both in recruiting and performance?

During the Mallory years athletic department did not make football a priority.  They are now and we can be better than MSU, at least in my mind.  IU has a big time brand, alumni base, etc.....now with making football a priority things are going to be different.  Loom at Women's Basketball, etc.  Sustainable success takes time and now I think the program is setup for long term success.

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

So...we can all agree it has been a great week for IU football. However, it got me to thinking...I am old enough to remember the Mallory years, even 1987 when we beat O$U and UM. I expected that IU would be "good" in football for a long time under Mallory...it didn't last as long as I had hoped. Coach Allen seems to be a fantastic fit for IU football long term, but it has me wondering what expectations we can expect for next 5-10 years (assuming he stays in Bloomington). We have improved facilities and recruiting is much better than in the past it seems, especially with the Florida pipeline. I would like to think we could be similar to what MSU has been in the past...6-9 wins a season and consistent lower to mid tier bowl games. What say you Hoosier nation? What are your expectations for the next decade of IU football both in recruiting and performance?

You guys know me, by know. As I go back further than most of you great Hoosier Sports Nation members.  I was a student in 1967.  Went to all the home games. And sad, that my Cream and Crimson lost to O.J. Simpson in the Rose Bowl.  Back in the when playing in the Rose Bowl was a great honor... more that today.

1967 Indiana Hoosiers football team 

Then going further back..... was a time in the middle and late 1940's.... IUFB did represent.

We've got a new AD... and soon will have a new president. No reason, IMHO IUFB can not  return to those days of yesterday.

Agree with what others are saying.  In the next 5-10 years, I'd like to see a lot of 7-8 win seasons.  Maybe a season or two of 6, and a season or two above 8.  Being in the same division as OSU, UM, and PSU, it is going to be tough to get to 10 wins on a consistent basis unless we can sustain success for 10-15 years and really build the program.  It will take a few years of success before we can consistently get our recruiting in the top 30.  It would take probably close to 10 years of success to consistently get into the top 20.

The thing I like is that Allen is really building an entire program.  He isn't just a flash in the pan who is going to jump at the next opportunity (PJ Fleck comes to mind).  He understands that every position is important, and nothing is overlooked.  He also seems to be really well respected in the coaching community and has done a wonderful job of bringing in good coaches.  Hopefully Allen and Wellman can be a steady presence here for the next 20 years.

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Agree with what others are saying.  In the next 5-10 years, I'd like to see a lot of 7-8 win seasons.  Maybe a season or two of 6, and a season or two above 8.  Being in the same division as OSU, UM, and PSU, it is going to be tough to get to 10 wins on a consistent basis unless we can sustain success for 10-15 years and really build the program.  It will take a few years of success before we can consistently get our recruiting in the top 30.  It would take probably close to 10 years of success to consistently get into the top 20.

The thing I like is that Allen is really building an entire program.  He isn't just a flash in the pan who is going to jump at the next opportunity (PJ Fleck comes to mind).  He understands that every position is important, and nothing is overlooked.  He also seems to be really well respected in the coaching community and has done a wonderful job of bringing in good coaches.  Hopefully Allen and Wellman can be a steady presence here for the next 20 years.

What I like about Coach Allen... is that he bleeds Cream an Crimson.  Not unlike Coach Hoeppner before him.  There is a reason why there is a rock in Memorial Stadium.  IMHO Coach Allen is living up to that rock.

IU head coach Tom Allen discusses win over Penn State 

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I was hoping you would chime in on this...I respect your opinion on IU football. I agree about Allen and he seems to have his finger on the pulse of what is necessary to build a program. I am hopeful that we can see consistent 7-8 win seasons and some decent bowls. I would love to see fans packing the stands after the pandemic on a regular basis but I think we will need consistent winning for that to occur. 

47 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

During the Mallory years athletic department did not make football a priority.  They are now and we can be better than MSU, at least in my mind.  IU has a big time brand, alumni base, etc.....now with making football a priority things are going to be different.  Loom at Women's Basketball, etc.  Sustainable success takes time and now I think the program is setup for long term success.

Nice point about the athletic department not making football a priority during the Mallory years.

45 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You guys know me, by know. As I go back further than most of you great Hoosier Sports Nation members.  I was a student in 1967.  Went to all the home games. And sad, that my Cream and Crimson lost to O.J. Simpson in the Rose Bowl.  Back in the when playing in the Rose Bowl was a great honor... more that today.

Then going further back..... was a time in the middle and late 1940's.... IUFB did represent.

We've got a new AD... and soon will have a new president. No reason, IMHO IUFB can not  return to those days of yesterday.

I always appreciate your take on your student years miles.

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

I was hoping you would chime in on this...I respect your opinion on IU football. I agree about Allen and he seems to have his finger on the pulse of what is necessary to build a program. I am hopeful that we can see consistent 7-8 win seasons and some decent bowls. I would love to see fans packing the stands after the pandemic on a regular basis but I think we will need consistent winning for that to occur. 

Nice point about the athletic department not making football a priority during the Mallory years.

Thanks. Greatest 10 years of my life.  I kid.  However... some of the best times of my life were spent on campus at IU. 

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

Thanks!

I really like that we are investing in football.  We increased our assistant salary pool by $500,000 last year, and have done a good job of upgrading our facilities.  Hopefully we view the upgrades as the first step, and don't just say we're good for the next 10-15 years.  I'm confident we'll keep making upgrades though.

You hit on the other thing.  What will fan support be at games?  I know there are a million things to happen before then, but I could see us being ranked going into next season.  Win 6 or 7 regular season games this year, win the bowl game, return a ton of starters, start the season ranked, and I think we would be packing Memorial Stadium.  

13 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Thanks!

I really like that we are investing in football.  We increased our assistant salary pool by $500,000 last year, and have done a good job of upgrading our facilities.  Hopefully we view the upgrades as the first step, and don't just say we're good for the next 10-15 years.  I'm confident we'll keep making upgrades though.

You hit on the other thing.  What will fan support be at games?  I know there are a million things to happen before then, but I could see us being ranked going into next season.  Win 6 or 7 regular season games this year, win the bowl game, return a ton of starters, start the season ranked, and I think we would be packing Memorial Stadium.  

I hope you are right about packing Memorial...and I really hope that this program can become perennial bowl team. Hoping the new AD keeps investing in football.

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I hope you are right about packing Memorial...and I really hope that this program can become perennial bowl team. Hoping the new AD keeps investing in football.

The AD was in the locker room after the game. The team seemed to have already embraced him 

I expect the current coach and administration to totally redefine the concept of realistic expectations for IU football. Let's create a new, bold reality. 

At a minimum, I think we can land in a place where going to a bowl every year is a credible belief. Go to warm weather bowls, play some historic programs. Keep our recruiting profile high and compete for the Big Ten championship here and there.  

I'll say the same thing I've said for decades. 7-8 wins is the norm with an outlier dream season every 1 of 3-4 years. If we do that, head to Florida bowl games each year I'll be very happy. I think someone else mentioned....no reason we can't replace MSU in pecking order. We do that in front of a packed house each week (in normal times) I'd be very content with IU Football. 

22 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I was a student in the late 70’s... the Corso years. Want to believe, but gotta prove it to me. 

After the Holiday Bowl, stuff just fell apart. 

The program took the first step towards sustainable good football yesterday. Have to show that they can win on a regular basis. This can’t be a flash in the pan

Agree. IU has by far the worst football history in the B1G. Even fewer wins than NW. Tom Allen needs to begin by achieving the success level of Pat Fitzgerald (remarkable achievement) then build from there. They have some personality similarities. If IU can establish a winning culture and identity, they have advantages over a program like NW. 

Setting aside all of their current problems, I think Iowa is a good model. Ferentz has a reputation for developing O lineman and TEs and getting them to NFL. I think Allen could do the same for defensive players 

I don't see any reason that we can't do what a Iowa or MSU has done over the years.  Once we start winning maybe we can keep the Indiana players sstay in state that usually goes to OSU or UM.  The junior DL from Center Grove is the type of recruit we need to get to stay in state instead of going to one of the blue bloods.  I guess forst we have to put multiple seasons of winning 7-8 games a year and doing well in bowl games.  I am as excited about IU football than I have been for 30 years.  Also we need to keep Iowa ane Minnesota out of this state and not let them get the indiana recruits they have the last few years.

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

This is for you. I was a student at Indiana State during that time. IU came ISU to practise on our on artificial turf. It was awesome to see Harry Gonso, Jade Butcher, and (punt John punt) Isenbarger practicing on our field. That was a great team. I listened to every game on the radio. Watched the Rose Bowl back home with my parents. I spent a semester at IU in grad school. Spring of 1976. Not a bad time to be on campus. I think this might be the next really good IU football team. You know Penix is much better than he showed most of the game. Good things ahead.

15 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I was a student in the late 70’s... the Corso years. Want to believe, but gotta prove it to me. 

The program took the first step towards sustainable good football yesterday. Have to show that they can win on a regular basis. This can’t be a flash in the pan

I was too young to remember Corso coaching...but my dad used to tell me stories...I remember the one about him taking a pic of the scoreboard at halftime against O$U with IU leading.

15 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

A muscle flexing win against Rutgers would very nice... I not only "don't want to have a let down" and win. I want to dominate this game. We're a 13pt road favorite. Go beat them 28-3, 31-7. Stomp them. 

Harbaugh was supposed to be the guy to turn michigan around and make them consistent top 10 team.  

I'll give them consistent top 15.  Can IU get in the conversation of consistent top 25?  I've been baffled over the last 20 years watching Northwestern consistently be a solid if not top 25 team. No reason IU can't make that step and start fighting with Penn St and Michigan starting last Saturday.  And maybe once every 4 or 5 years shock the world.  

I'm big on "coach speak" "coach talk" whatever you want to call it. But the whole game on Saturday, I kept coming back in my head to what Allen says.. "this program doesn't blink"

-They score the first TD- we don't blink

-They 3 and out us our first series- we don't blink

-Controversial call goes against us on the punt return- we don't blink

-They hit a bomb to take the lead late in the game- we don't blink

-We have to match 75 yards in 1:40 with one TO and get the 2pt conversion- we don't blink

-We are down to start the OT- we don't blink

It's hard to beat someone that doesn't quit. We've got some kids that flat out compete and finally have the experience to do it at the highest levels. Our coaching staff instills a confidence in them that is borderline un-matchable. I have no idea what and where our ceiling is, but I won't be putting a limitation on what Coach Allen can accomplish. The talent in the state is as good as it's ever been. We have inroads in GA, TN, and most importantly FL. We have gotten some kids from OH recently. 

We could be bringing A LOT of this team back, as well. We could easily bring back 16 starters next year and 37 of our 44 in the 2 deep. 

Archived