"We're a football school now as well"

8 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I think more than Mullen and Taylor are talented, and God are they talented, they flat out compete. Tick undersized, but their heart isn't. 

We got a lot of dudes I'd take in a bar fight. 

As a golf coach, I have to give props to anyone who fights that stigma of what your program is "supposed to be."  We hear it all the time with golf that it is less than the other sports, even though it is the only winning team at our school.  I love that IU football has guys who work hard to try to change their narrative.  Especially coming into what is historically, possibly the worst program in the history of college football.  We have the right coach and right players to start changing things.

Love Reese.  Great recruit for us to have landed.  His ability to adapt to corner has been outstanding.  That’s not easy to do especially at corner.  He’s obviously a dynamic player and competitive kid.  

As for the program, those of us diehards who have been here for several years—and trying to get the football board more active—could see this building.  We’ve been talking about our program moving up for years.  To toot our own horns though, if you truly studied it, you could see where this is headed.  Turning around a football program that faces our schedule is a long and arduous task.  An observer may not have seen the W’s to notice this coming, but if you truly looked under the hood, you could see that the difference in coaching and talent was a difference in kind.  We have to admit at times it felt like that stock you buy that you think will be a game changer and then it stagnates for a couple of years and even you have moments of doubt.  But, you stick with it because you believe in the narrative.  Now the stock is going parabolic and it pays off.  

Sure, that was only one win.  That’s not even what I’m talking about.  I’m responding to Reese’s comments about the program.  Look at the talent on both sides of the ball, the legit athleticism and it’s going two or three deep.  Look at the coaches who are aggressive in attitude in both playing style and recruiting.  They aren’t settling for recruits and as Coach shouted with emotion: he believed!  We aren’t perfect everywhere, but the point is the program has legit players.  You couldn’t say that in the years before Wilson set us on our course and Allen took it to the next levels.  I am not taking Rutgers or anyone for granted.  We are in a big boy division and have tough games.  It’s like an NFL schedule where you’ve got to be ready every week.    

26 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

As for the program, those of us diehards who have been here for several years—and trying to get the football board more active—could see this building.  We’ve been talking about our program moving up for years.  To toot our own horns though, if you truly studied it, you could see where this is headed.   

It is cool to think back to those of us who could see things building early in Allen's tenure.  To see it finally get to where we are now is awesome.

I would love to look through a thread from a few years ago.  I bet a lot of posters from Allen's 2nd year are long gone by now.

28 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

It is cool to think back to those of us who could see things building early in Allen's tenure.  To see it finally get to where we are now is awesome.

I would love to look through a thread from a few years ago.  I bet a lot of posters from Allen's 2nd year are long gone by now.

"We wished we did a national search for a coach" 

Lord those comments fired me up

Would love to become a football school. However, in addition to basketball.... ahead of football.... I considered IU a swimming school.  Though we dipped after Doc's death... IU is now coming back.  And then.... how many soccer NC's have the Yeagley's brought home to bloomington ?   By the way.... a major investment just completed  to IU's soccer field..... home to the  little 500.   So many things to love about IU.  Never forget.

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Would love to become a football school. However, in addition to basketball.... ahead of football.... I considered IU a swimming school.  Though we dipped after Doc's death... IU is now coming back.  And then.... how many soccer NC's have the Yeagley's brought home to bloomington ?   By the way.... a major investment just completed  to IU's soccer field..... home to the  little 500.   So many things to love about IU.  Never forget.

We really are in a big time era for sports. God I pray it continues. 

Swimming, football, baseball, men's basketball is coming back, women's basketball, soccer. Softball has been solid. TnF has been ranked for the Men's. 

7 hours ago, rico said:

But are you listening TDH?  You picked PSU not Reese or I.  I ain't gonna let you live that one down.  Sarcastic wink.  LOL

You are right.  I've gotta own that one.   In my first draft I wrote about letting Penn State score and then going for two and the win, but scrapped it.  Okay, no, that never happened.

7 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I dont remember what I said or if I said anything at all. But when IU hired Coach Allen I was on board.  Doesnt take a genius too see CTA loves IU and is here to stay.  I hope and pray he is successful, and I believe he will be. 

How great would it be a Native Hoosier bring IU football to prominence.

18 hours ago, btownqb said:

I think more than Mullen and Taylor are talented, and God are they talented, they flat out compete. Tick undersized, but their heart isn't. 

We got a lot of dudes I'd take in a bar fight. 

How about,...We got a lot of dude I'd take TO a bar fight? I'm reading as....I wouldn't want to take on one of those guys in a bar fight. 🤕🤣

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

How about,...We got a lot of dude I'd take TO a bar fight? I'm reading as....I wouldn't want to take on one of those guys in a bar fight. 🤕🤣

lololol fair. Jones, McFadden, the two corners, Matthews, Scott, James. They can all be on my side in the fight. Those fellas have some serious fight in them, and are truly scared of no one. 

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I dont remember what I said or if I said anything at all. But when IU hired Coach Allen I was on board.  Doesnt take a genius too see CTA loves IU and is here to stay.  I hope and pray he is successful, and I believe he will be. 

How great would it be a Native Hoosier bring IU football to prominence.

My belief was that because IU had so little positive football history that it would have to be a native Hoosier to create change in culture and ultimately bring some success and respect to the program.  It looked like we had our coach when Terry Hoeppner arrived, but then tragedy struck.  Now we have Tom Allen.  Both of these men had/have great love for IU, in my opinion, and felt they had come home.  Back home again...in Indiana.   😊

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

My belief was that because IU had so little positive football history that it would have to be a native Hoosier to create change in culture and ultimately bring some success and respect to the program.  It looked like we had our coach when Terry Hoeppner arrived, but then tragedy struck.  Now we have Tom Allen.  Both of these men had/have great love for IU, in my opinion, and felt they had come home.  Back home again...in Indiana.   😊

Bill Mallory had the program moving in the right direction and never should have been fired.

Agree with you on both Hep and Allen

Archived