Conference finish poll

I think 5th or 6th is a good spot for us. If Jerome can be the guy we all know he can be and Rob stays healthy, I feel this team will be a very good one. 

I really think the chemistry of this team will really shine through and help get over some of the collapses and long scoring droughts. 

One thing I struggle with are those that have OSU ahead of us. 

1 hour ago, JaybobHoosier said:

One thing I struggle with are those that have OSU ahead of us. 

I agree with this.  I think they are a bit over rated heading into the season. 

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It just seems like 5th is our ceiling.  And, based on the last few years, we struggle to reach our ceiling.  7th or 8th seems to be more likely.

This is pretty much where I’m at. I want to pick us 5th because I think we have the talent to get there, but I feel we will probably end up around 7th. 

I know on Andy Katz predicted us to finish 7th on the conference but had us ranked 17th in country.  So what would be more important to you the big ten finish or what we are ranked nationally. If we are 17th in the country we would be looking at like a 5 or 6 seed in the tournament.

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know on Andy Katz predicted us to finish 7th on the conference but had us ranked 17th in country.  So what would be more important to you the big ten finish or what we are ranked nationally. If we are 17th in the country we would be looking at like a 5 or 6 seed in the tournament.

To answer your question.  I would rather be 3rd in conference and 25th nationally than be 7th in conference and 17th nationally.  Our positioning in conference will eventually lead to better positioning nationally.  Conference championships are a better overall indicator of the health of a program, than national championships.  Now, I'm not turning down National Championships, but MSU is considered a national power, yet they have not won a National Championships in 20 years.  They have a lot of Big Ten titles though. 

52 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To answer your question.  I would rather be 3rd in conference and 25th nationally than be 7th in conference and 17th nationally.  Our positioning in conference will eventually lead to better positioning nationally.  Conference championships are a better overall indicator of the health of a program, than national championships.  Now, I'm not turning down National Championships, but MSU is considered a national power, yet they have not won a National Championships in 20 years.  They have a lot of Big Ten titles though. 

I see things fairly similarly. Being a top conference team will lead to deeper tourney appearances and absolutely is a better barometer of team strength over time. However I wouldn’t downplay how deep the B1G is now, and that we’re getting better, and that that includes our having the potential to be good nationally this season. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Agree, and the difference between being ranked 17th and 25th is largely a subjective, made up number. Your conference positioning is based on straight wins/losses. 

19 hours ago, MaroonRebel said:

Wins in conference also means wins on the recruiting trail and more positive branding news. We compete most with the teams in the region for players. AKA... We fish the same ponds so to speak. Throw in UK and UL and that is a lot of recruiting competition.

Yes (along with national recruiting), winning, along with putting guys in the NBA, will put IU back up at the top of the HS recruit lists, it's a process. When you're a HS kid, his coach and fam, and you're choosing between teams like MSU, UM, UK, etc. and IU is in your picture, IU obviously has not been on their level -- recently -- on a national level, NCAA tourney appearances, or even in conference. But, IU looks to be climbing the ladder back, and when you have the last 3 IN Mr. Basketballs, and would've been in the NCAA tourney but for COVID, and are starting to get talked about again, and are putting guys in the NBA, you get more into the picture. If IU plays strong this season and competes into the tourney, it's 'resume' will continue to look better to the HS recruits. We know what IU is capable of, but we're the IU fanbase. Now CAM and the team have to show.

Archived