Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

It was great to see Penix successfully go downfield. Big deal as we did not really see that against PSU (understandable as he was out most of last year, has yet another OC and some new receivers).

Really love Penix’s downfield bullets (gets in tight windows) but 100 mph, rather than 200mph, would be kind of nice on the 8 yard throws.

I like Scott but we need to continue to give James some complete series. James could be really good for us for three years.

Great to see the speed on our defense as I remember the years that teams routinely ran around the edges and we could not catch them, we had DB’s that did not cover or close quickly and our tackling sucked. The improvement is way beyond dramatic.

How can we not cover onside kicks? Blew the TN game and today’s was a clown show.

I understand, but often hate, prevent defense. Our D looked pretty good until we went to the prevent/ole defense.

We are 2-0 with a good shot to go to 3-0. Can you even imagine if we go to 3-0 with 2 of the wins being against PSU and UM (rather than Ball State and WKU). As Dicky V would say UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Agree, this is a pattern that as a fan I would like to see changed.  Again, I have no idea if that is a good football move.  For the past few years it seems teams make their move on IU when they start pumping brakes.  I don't see OSU doing that.....they put point on the board with the thought it helps with rankings.  Why does IU play conservative when anything can happen in a game?

I saw Iowa St throwing deep balls up 22 in the 4tj quarter.  I hate it when the team tries not to lose than trying to win the game.

6 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Okay, I get that philosophy.  But, how do you expose them by trying to go down the field instead of 3 and out?  Regardless, your going to punt if incomplete or you don't run for a first down.  It seems that IU ends up punting more times than not.  

A pick? Sack fumble? Regular fumble? 

You have allllllll the momentum in the world... give them none. Sudden changes are very, very bad in football. 

12 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Okay, I get that philosophy.  But, how do you expose them by trying to go down the field instead of 3 and out?  Regardless, your going to punt if incomplete or you don't run for a first down.  It seems that IU ends up punting more times than not.  

I was getting my situations confused. I was thinking the end of the half. 

I have no problem with being conservative or aggressive in that situation. I think the less we make the OL pass block the better though. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I was getting my situations confused. I was thinking the end of the half. 

I have no problem with being conservative or aggressive in that situation. I think the less we make the OL pass block the better though. 

I'm talking the 3 and 6 or 8 I think with 6ish minutes left in the game. Try to convert. There is risk in every play. Hell, they could've returned a punt for a touchdown.  

Just too conservative for me at that time. 

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm talking the 3 and 6 or 8 I think with 6ish minutes left in the game. Try to convert. There is risk in every play. Hell, they could've returned a punt for a touchdown.  

Just too conservative for me at that time. 

There was 6 mins left when we started the drive. 4 mins when we ran that play. 

And this is 6 one way, half dozen the other convo. 

Couple of notes here after watching the highlights:

-Defense has been very good on 3rd and 4th down... since the 1st drive vs PSU we have held opponents to 11-35... in return, our 3rd downs haven't been good offensively. 

-Rutgers long TD run after the 2nd roughing the passer... Casey missed his assignment. Bryant did an excellent job of wrong arming and making it bounce. Casey didn't scrape. Burgess flat out whiffed at the 10. Terrible job. 

-Our cover 1 has been awesome. Williams, Taylor, Mullen, Mathews and find a man, Johnson plays deep and we use some sort of stunt up front and bring 5. We actually showed this look, and brought a man blitz on the first INT on Saturday. Both DEs (Bryant and Ziemba dropped off to spy/guard the FB).... Jones hit home. Good catch by King. This is all possible because we have good corners. 

-OL pass pro improved throughout the game.. combined with starting to pick up some stunts we weren't early on

-Penix was really good the last 3qs. Timing was good, location improved. Call PH's a drop all you want... that ball is thrown 90mph and 10 inches over his head, he ain't catching that. 

-And we're +5 TO differential this season.. has to continue. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Couple of notes here after watching the highlights:

-Defense has been very good on 3rd and 4th down... since the 1st drive vs PSU we have held opponents to 11-35... in return, our 3rd downs haven't been good offensively. 

-Rutgers long TD run after the 2nd roughing the passer... Casey missed his assignment. Bryant did an excellent job of wrong arming and making it bounce. Casey didn't scrape. Burgess flat out whiffed at the 10. Terrible job. 

-Our cover 1 has been awesome. Williams, Taylor, Mullen, Mathews and find a man, Johnson plays deep and we use some sort of stunt up front and bring 5. We actually showed this look, and brought a man blitz on the first INT on Saturday. Both DEs (Bryant and Ziemba dropped off to spy/guard the FB).... Jones hit home. Good catch by King. This is all possible because we have good corners. 

-OL pass pro improved throughout the game.. combined with starting to pick up some stunts we weren't early on

-Penix was really good the last 3qs. Timing was good, location improved. Call PH's a drop all you want... that ball is thrown 90mph and 10 inches over his, he ain't catching that. 

-And we're +5 TO differential this season.. has to continue. 

Agree with everything you said here...

Penix has to learn to put some touch on some of his passes.

On 10/31/2020 at 7:28 PM, IU Scott said:

Fro me they should never take McFadden or Jones off the field.  When I see a series starts and we have the backup LB's in the game that is when we give up scores and big playes.

Those two have to be subbed. For one... we didn't have the luxury of a normal "pre-conference." Second.. those two play a ton on special teams. Three.. playing every snap they're infinity more likely to be injured. This is how we create depth, by allowing others to play. We cannot just roll with two ILBers for an entire season and assume that'll hold up. 

James Miller can flat out play too. He along with the two you mentioned are a tremendous trio. Aaron Casey has been getting a lot of work there, and he needs it. He's very athletic, he played safety in HS. 

I'm intrigued to see Cam Williams play, hard to get on the field right now if you're a young guy. That's a good thing. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Those two have to be subbed. For one... we didn't have the luxury of a normal "pre-conference." Second.. those two play a ton on special teams. Three.. playing every snap they're infinity more likely to be injured. This is how we create depth, by allowing others to play. We cannot just roll with two ILBers for an entire season and assume that'll hold up. 

James Miller can flat out play too. He along with the two you mentioned are a tremendous trio. Aaron Casey has been getting a lot of work there, and he needs it. He's very athletic, he played safety in HS. 

I'm intrigued to see Cam Williams play, hard to get on the field right now if you're a young guy. That's a good thing. 

Allen's subbing his first couple years would drive me nuts.  I understood the idea behind it, but trying to get some of the younger guys experience was rough some games.  Now that those guys are upperclassmen, it has definitely paid off.  As we've gotten stronger recruiting classes, playing that depth isn't nearly as big of a drop of as it used to be.

11 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Allen's subbing his first couple years would drive me nuts.  I understood the idea behind it, but trying to get some of the younger guys experience was rough some games.  Now that those guys are upperclassmen, it has definitely paid off.  As we've gotten stronger recruiting classes, playing that depth isn't nearly as big of a drop of as it used to be.

Especially DL. But kids come to college to play, not sit... even 5-7 plays a game is significantly better than none.  

54 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Especially DL. But kids come to college to play, not sit... even 5-7 plays a game is significantly better than none.  

Ultimately you have to see in game action to see what you have.  Everyone is a star in their own mind until you have some tape to show them on MOnday that might say something different. 

Archived