Season Opener - Tennessee Tech

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Game day!

Never has an off-season felt so long. Sure it was a couple of weeks longer but it felt like a couple of months longer. 

Who are you most excited to see tonight? I’ve made no secret about this: my choice is Gallaway. 

Finally! Wearing my IU fleece today. Have to remember to put some beer in the fridge later. 

Only a few more hours of wondering about the starting lineup. 

I'm looking forward to seeing Franklin and all the freshman. Think they are the wildcards this season.

Definitely looking forward to tonight. I'd like to see more cohesion on the fast break (as a sign that they are working on getting out and running). I'd love to see how well we get in the lane off the dribble (and an emphasis on kicking it back out). Besides all the new players the three I am most looking forward to watching are Hunter, Race, and TJD. I think that those three had the most distance between where they were and where their ceilings are, and that they can offer the most impact out of all the players we have. 

Out of the Freshmen I am most looking forward to Galloway and Geronimo. 

This is a hard year for who I'm looking forward to. It's been a while since IU has had so many guys with big upside but at the same time the potential to also be sort of average as well. 

I'm looking forward to seeing Hunter, Phinisee and Race healthy and if they can make a leap. I'm looking forward to seeing how good Franklin can really be. I'm looking forward to seeing just how elite and ready Lander is, and I'm looking forward to seeing Geronimo's athleticism, how ready Galloway really is, etc. I don't mean to leave Leal out either. 

The upside is high but a lot of "if's" need to come to fruition, meaning the floor is also a bit low. 

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is a hard year for who I'm looking forward to. It's been a while since IU has had so many guys with big upside but at the same time the potential to also be sort of average as well. 

I'm looking forward to seeing Hunter, Phinisee and Race healthy and if they can make a leap. I'm looking forward to seeing how good Franklin can really be. I'm looking forward to seeing just how elite and ready Lander is, and I'm looking forward to seeing Geronimo's athleticism, how ready Galloway really is, etc. I don't mean to leave Leal out either. 

The upside is high but a lot of "if's" need to come to fruition, meaning the floor is also a bit low. 

I feel the same way, in the sense that it's hard to pick one. 

I will say my second choice after Gallaway is Rob. I'm a firm believer that he is the team's most important player and he's the key to us turning the corner this season. 

edit/adding a thought: Rob is also looking really strong. Was is Jordan Taylor at Wisconsin who just bullied opposing guards? My memory is fuzzy - how do their games compare? Is it fair to say that's a good aspirational comparison for Rob? 

I'm just going to echo a point earlier that the guys haven't even had an exhibition game. 

I am really, really, REALLY looking forward to FINALLY getting to see the team again and with the new look offense and growth of guys like Race and Hunter, and Rob healthy and with an improved outside shot, and how ready Lander is, etc. --

But well if anyone is judging the team on how they look in this first game, that's just not warranted. Maybe temper expectations a bit, and enjoy finally seeing IU again.

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm just going to echo a point earlier that the guys haven't even had an exhibition game. 

I am really, really, REALLY looking forward to FINALLY getting to see the team again and with the new look offense and growth of guys like Race and Hunter, and Rob healthy and with an improved outside shot, and how ready Lander is, etc. --

But well if anyone is judging the team on how they look in this first game, that's just not warranted. Maybe temper expectations a bit, and enjoy finally seeing IU again.

I'm glad you said this. If the team is flat or doesn't look dominant right out of the gate, I hope we don't have the normal panic. Both teams are hitting the court for the first time this season and doing in a very unusual circumstance with no fans, etc. I'm just anticipating some oddities and uneven flow of play. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I'm glad you said this. If the team is flat or doesn't look dominant right out of the gate, I hope we don't have the normal panic. Both teams are hitting the court for the first time this season and doing in a very unusual circumstance with no fans, etc. I'm just anticipating some oddities and uneven flow of play. 

I'll try my hardest not to have the 'normal' panic.  But, would you be okay with a totally irrational, spazzed-out panic?  :coffee:

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Oh, there is always panic, lol :D

But yeah, I would expect there to be some real sloppy play, mixed in with some real shining stuff. I'm a glass half full guy (pretty obvious to many right?) so I'll probably be focused on the good stuff, but I imagine it's going to be a bit before we see the team looking steady and cohesive.

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I plan on giving a harsh critique of the team after the game. 

Archived