Galloway a starter ..

Wasn't sure whether to end that with .. or ??

Reports from practice are that Galloway is tearing it up. He is obv a coaches kid and just a straight killer. Seems like Archie's type of player. A lot of people over the past week are indicating that it seems like he very well may end up starting. Makes for a few interesting lineup options. 

Rob

Al

Galloway

Hunter

TJD

Rob

Al

Lander

Galloway

TJD

The Archie Special

Rob

Al

Galloway

Brunk

TJD

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how Al starts. I think Hunter has to be in the line up. If the reports are true about Galloway how about TJD, Hunter, Galloway, Rob and Lander? I don't know enough about how Race is doing but he could also push his way into the lineup. 
Thank you for the info on Galloway. It is very much appreciated. 

23 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I don't see how Al starts. I think Hunter has to be in the line up. If the reports are true about Galloway how about TJD, Hunter, Galloway, Rob and Lander? I don't know enough about how Race is doing but he could also push his way into the lineup. 

Agree with you Jeff, with the possible caveat that with this line up, we may be light on consistent shooters. Can't make up my mind as to who to use. Can make a good argument for several players.

I would love nothing more than for a fairly unheralded freshman to come in and knock a senior starter, one who started 32 of 32 games last year while playing 26 mins a game, out of the starting line up. Al, a guy that was the team's most consistent shooter, actually shooting better in conference (39%) than he did against the entire schedule.  On a team that was making the tournament.

We know CAM loves his older guys, especially if they are a team player.  See Joey Brunks 31 starts even though he wasn't top 5 talent.  

I'm not sure why people are so down on Al.  If Trey was going to start over anyone, it would be a vastly less consistent Rob.  I truly don't get the Al hate.  Dude was an unknown 3 star rated around 230, who has steadily improved every year.  Doesn't always make the smartest decisions but that can be said about everyone on the team the last 4 years.  Oh and he might be the best defender.  

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

I don't see how AL doesn't start

I don't see Galloway starting because they likely won't start 2 freshman. I also don't see 2 seniors starting either. This year the starting lineup could change based on match ups much more than it ever has in the past under CAM. They can go big, small, or more traditional. 

41 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I don't see Galloway starting because they likely won't start 2 freshman. I also don't see 2 seniors starting either. This year the starting lineup could change based on match ups much more than it ever has in the past under CAM. They can go big, small, or more traditional. 

I don't know what the lineup will be, but I doubt it changes from game to game based on match ups.  Archie's MO seems to be to stick to a particular lineup unless his hand is almost forced to make a change.  I don't really expect that to change this year.  

53 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That would be great but how often did we see a starting line up change last year based on match ups?  I think like zero.  Maybe it was a thought process of this round peg in a square hole is literally our only chance to win so we are sticking with it?  Hopefully with more tools in the tool shed CAM will be more creative.  We just haven't seen evidence of it yet.  

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

That would be great but how often did we see a starting line up change last year based on match ups?  I think like zero.  Maybe it was a thought process of this round peg in a square hole is literally our only chance to win so we are sticking with it?  Hopefully with more tools in the tool shed CAM and will be creative.  We just haven't seen evidence of it yet.  

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I don't know what the lineup will be, but I doubt it changes from game to game based on match ups.  Archie's MO seems to be to stick to a particular lineup unless his hand is almost forced to make a change.  I don't really expect that to change this year.  

You are correct. In the past he hasn't but this roster is different and this is not a normal year. I just wouldn't be surprised if he changed things more with his lineups. 

I was talking about Galloway in the Freshmen thread because i was getting a feeling he was going to surprise many. I listen to an unhealthy amount of IUBB podcasts and it seems like everytime in an interview a coach or player is asked about the Freshmen, the first name out of their mouth is Trey and that he is highly competitive. 

Some guys are just born with grit in their veins. Here's to hoping Trey is the modern day Dane Fife. I want a player that opposing teams HATE. I want a player that the Paint Crew comes up with an obnoxious chant for. I want a player who doesn't back down form anybody, because that attitude is contagious. 

11 hours ago, Indykev said:

Archie did say in an interview that Galloway was a lot better than they thought.

As in college basketball ready?  Or fitting in with the returning squad?  Or something else as I would like to think they knew what they were getting.

The one thing I do know that all 4 freshmen (as well as everybody else on the team) will be heavily evaluated on defense and taking care of the ball. Those two things are well known to be core principles under CAM and are unknown to us as far as our 4 newcomers go at this time. We all tend to separate Lander from the other 3 (which really isn't fair to any of them), but while his high school stats may indicate he takes care of the ball, how well he does he do that at the college level? How well does he play man to man D against older, bigger, stronger players?

I remember watching DJ Carton last year who was another highly touted PG we were in on, and the struggles he had in those 2 areas in his abbreviated OSU stint...

Archived