IPFW post game

Indykev

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

actually for me it isn't.  i've watched them for over 35 years and i'm just not the type to stop supporting and watching because they aren't very good.  i guess that's why i am also a Cubs fan.  i just can't imagine picking another team to support because they are good.  

Amen to that and being a Reds fan I have went through some very bad years as well.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not watching them and not scheduling your life around it are two different things.  Take Monday night for instance.  The wife wanted to run around taking care of miscellaneous holiday staff.  She asked if I wanted to go.  In years past I would have simply told her "no, IU is on", or suggested we do it Tuesday instead.  But, this being a team that I haven't particularly warmed up to, I said "Sure, why not".  Tomorrow night will be no different.  If I don't have anything else going on, I'll watch the game.  If something else comes up and appeals to me more, I'll do that instead.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yes, and I went out of my way in the post you quoted to not call him lazy, evening saying I'm not questioning his effort and it's clear he's worked hard. But, with that said his turnovers are atrocious. They're the kind of turnovers that turn into layups and open transition three's for the opponent. As Archie has said, they're "pick-six" turnovers. They're not turnovers that should be coming from a 4-year, starting guard. 

With all that said, we need RoJo's defense on the perimeter, which for the most part this season it has been really good, and it played a key role in the ND win. I've never advocated, or I don't believe I have, in benching him. The bottom line is the team needs him to become a consistent shooter/scorer, he's really the only one that can. Guys like Newkirk, McRoberts, Al, and even Hartman are who they are as far as scorers, RoJo is the only one, and maybe Green, that at least have the potential to be a consistent perimeter threat, and the team desperately needs it from him. 

But man, he just flat out needs to be better. You expect more from a 4-year, starting senior. 

Yep, the TO's are bad and he needs to address them. The only quibble I have with your post is that I'd say he needs to be better consistently. He has had very good games this season, unfortunately, they've been followed by some real down games.

He has shown he can be very good, but he hasn't shown, over a season, that he can be very good consistently. He's a good shooter (you don't shoot 37% on the year on high volume without being a good shooter, even leaving out the 44% or so he shot his frosh season on low volume). He has, fairly consistently, shown very good D. He needs to put it all together with consistency. Do that, and he answers the questions. I hope he does.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yep, the TO's are bad and he needs to address them. The only quibble I have with your post is that I'd say he needs to be better consistently. He has had very good games this season, unfortunately, they've been followed by some real down games.

He has shown he can be very good, but he hasn't shown, over a season, that he can be very good consistently. He's a good shooter (you don't shoot 37% on the year on high volume without being a good shooter, even leaving out the 44% or so he shot his frosh season on low volume). He has, fairly consistently, shown very good D. He needs to put it all together with consistency. Do that, and he answers the questions. I hope he does.

He's running out of time, almost halfway through his senior year and he's a guy that has played big minutes from day 1. I hope it happens for him and for IU. 

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He's running out of time, almost halfway through his senior year and he's a guy that has played big minutes from day 1. I hope it happens for him and for IU. 

I get your point, but it's December 20. The team is 6-6. We have 18 games to go, before the B1G tourney. 18 games, not counting the tourney, is a fair amount of games.

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm sure you remember you've posted several times that Rob was playing great this year, or was doing a really good job beyond his shooting. I'm not here defending Rob's turnovers, but I am going to take issue with the posts calling him lazy and just dog piling all over him while ignoring the good he has brought. You earlier commented the team likely would not be successful without Rob scoring well. That's fair, and appears to be accurate. He's not playing consistently well, he's turning it over way more than he should, but he has had big games and he has contributed at a high level defensively in several games, all now being ignored for the sake of dog piling. I don't buy into that.

To be clear, I think he's been one of our two best perimeter defenders this year and I've never called him lazy in the sense that he isn't a hard worker.  But he has undisputedly made a lot of lazy plays that have really hurt this team.  

@BobSaccamanno is 100% correct, we do need him.  That's what makes his play that much more frustrating.  

36 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Good players are good consistently.  Robs good games have been the outlier, not his good games.  You can surely agree to that, right? 

Anyone defending our seniors not named Priller need to remove themselves.  The Crean Curse will be with us as long as we have players on our team who grew up dressing up for ball instead of getting the job done.  We got beat by a 5'11 Indiana raised 2 star.  Robert Johnson was a 5 star recruit on some services.  You think Roy Williams is upset about missing out on that?  ABSOLUTELY NOT.  Josh Newkirk?  I doubt even Stallings would take him now.  I'm 31 and played basketball in high school, I honestly believe I could be better served on the floor than our two senior guards.  These guys play the game like the kids I used to senselessly beat at the park but would get all the accolades in AAU.  Clown show.  So excited to get these wannabe thugs.  /endrant. 

i'm telling you Rob is fool's gold.  some on here get all excited when he has a good scoring game and then down when he's off.  he's going to get his shots off, so he will have some good scoring games.  kind of remind me of Blackmon or Bracey Wright, just not nearly as talented.  still not sure if it's him or Newkirk that i hate to see in the game more.

The point remains in that we need more than "some good scoring games" out of Rob, and he is running out of games to string together the upside we've seen from him in the past.

For me, all of his performance mistakes would be so much less magnified and even forgiven if he actually tried leading the team. God knows we need it. But he's non vocal, pouts over calls at times, and is prone to freshman level bonehead plays.

He's our best shot defender, but we are losing by 10+ 3's in multiple underdog opponents now anyway so who cares. Let him sit so someone else can have his minutes.

1 hour ago, hoosierdaddy said:

Anyone defending our seniors not named Priller need to remove themselves.  The Crean Curse will be with us as long as we have players on our team who grew up dressing up for ball instead of getting the job done.  We got beat by a 5'11 Indiana raised 2 star.  Robert Johnson was a 5 star recruit on some services.  You think Roy Williams is upset about missing out on that?  ABSOLUTELY NOT.  Josh Newkirk?  I doubt even Stallings would take him now.  I'm 31 and played basketball in high school, I honestly believe I could be better served on the floor than our two senior guards.  These guys play the game like the kids I used to senselessly beat at the park but would get all the accolades in AAU.  Clown show.  So excited to get these wannabe thugs.  /endrant. 

This is a warning. Refrain from these types of post moving forward. 

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm telling you Rob is fool's gold.  some on here get all excited when he has a good scoring game and then down when he's off.  he's going to get his shots off, so he will have some good scoring games.  kind of remind me of Blackmon or Bracey Wright, just not nearly as talented.  still not sure if it's him or Newkirk that i hate to see in the game more.

This is a good point.  Since the Louisville debacle, it seems like he has the green light to keep jacking them up no matter how many he misses.  Sucks we don’t have any other options.

11 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is a good point.  Since the Louisville debacle, it seems like he has the green light to keep jacking them up no matter how many he misses.  Sucks we don’t have any other options.

Since Louisville, he's 7 of 17 from 3, That's not exactly horrible.  I get people's frustration with Rob.  I really expected him to step up with Blackmon gone.  But internet posters challenging his attitude when his coach says the opposite seems cheap.  I get the impression people would be much happier if his stats were the same, but he barked at the refs, yelled at his teammates, and gestured to the crowd. 

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I can safely say that Rob Johnson will not be a revered former Hoosier.  

Certainly not by some, but there are other reasons to revere IU players.  I had the opportunity to meet Rob once, and he was absolutely fabulous to my kid, even giving him his shoes.  He made my kids day, and he didn't have to.  He went out of his way to do it.  So yes, I will always "revere" Rob Johnson for the person that he is.  On the other hand, while in school, I met Jay Edwards on a couple of occasions, with, let's just say, the opposite impression.

18 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Since Louisville, he's 7 of 17 from 3, That's not exactly horrible.  I get people's frustration with Rob.  I really expected him to step up with Blackmon gone.  But internet posters challenging his attitude when his coach says the opposite seems cheap.  I get the impression people would be much happier if his stats were the same, but he barked at the refs, yelled at his teammates, and gestured to the crowd. 

After the decent shooting against ND, he went 2-7 against IPFW.  I wouldn’t be happy with 33% from three, 2 assists, and 3 turnovers a game no matter how he was acting.  Add in his lack of fire and bad body language on the court and sulking after bad games, and it’s more than fair to question his attitude.

In all my years on these boards I have never been accused of being soft on kids, coaches or the direction of the program. With that said. Rob agreed to stay on with a coach who has a philosophy the polar opposite of what he was recruited to. Maybe he felt that he had no other options, but regardless, he chose to stay. He has made strides defensively. He has also struggled at times offensively. So the question in my mind is, would we be better off with Rob this season or an unknown who CAM might have brought in to fill Rob's scholarship had he decided to leave? Warts and all, I am glad Rob chose to stay and I hope he takes the last part of the season to build a legacy as the bridge between Crean and Archie 

I would like to see Rob feel the need to "Change".  It's a good thing in life to realize that we all need to do that to accomplish our goals and the goals of others.  He is in a Senior leadership position weather he likes it or not.  He can control his attitude and do his best to make his teammates better.  He can be enthusiastic without being a "born leader",  His demeanor does mean a lot to impressionable freshmen and he should hold himself accountable to that.  He can have all the flaws in the world, but we could all be reading great articles about his leadership, passion and caring about being a mature role model and by all means leave it all out on the court.

A small, small % of people ever get a chance to be in his position.

RoJo is an average player. Nothing more. He has games that make you think he’s better than average. But he’s not. The sample size is big enough at this point. 

My hope from now on is that he has his good games when we need them, and his bad games when we don’t need him to be good. 

Rotate Al, Green, Josh, Rob at 1-2 for the rest of the season. Play the 2 best that day. Never more than 2 at a time. 

9 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

RoJo is an average player. Nothing more. He has games that make you think he’s better than average. But he’s not. The sample size is big enough at this point. 

My hope from now on is that he has his good games when we need them, and his bad games when we don’t need him to be good. 

Rotate Al, Green, Josh, Rob at 1-2 for the rest of the season. Play the 2 best that day. Never more than 2 at a time. 

Problem is, we need him to be a contributor in every game if we want to have a chance. 

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not necessarily every game.  Rob can have a bad game against cupcakes like IPFW, and it should not hurt too mu.......never mind.  

I understand your sentiment, but even if Rob was held scoreless we shouldn’t have lost against IPFW.

Archived