RIP Tommy Heinsohn

Drroogh

So sad to hear this news. Tommy was just a fantastic guy. Being in PR, I worked pretty closely with him in my time with the Celtics and he could not have been nicer and more welcoming to a young PR flack who just a blip on his radar. I was fortunate enough to go out to a couple dinners with him on road trips and it was amazing to just sit at the table and listen to him tell stories. Such a great man, and a life well lived. A true legend and an even better person. 

Another fun story is that my dad played college basketball and when Tommy was still playing he would do some local college broadcasts. He called one of my dads games on the radio and my dad came off the bench and had 24 points. During the game Tommy called my dad "Stonehill's secret weapon!". Years later when I worked for the Celtics, as a Christmas gift I had Tommy sign a picture to my dad, "Merry Christmas to Stonehill's Secret Weapon, from Tommy!" It was such a great moment when my dad opened the gift. 

Some other fun facts. The record for points in a NBA Finals Game 7 is 37 points, held by LeBron James and Tommy Heinsohn. Tommy is also a very talented artist/painter. Finally, image being so good at three different careers that you're in the HOF as a player, coach and broadcaster!!

As everyone gets told in the Celtics front office, "Once a Celtic, always a Celtics", and nobody embodied that more than Tommy Heinsohn. 

RIP Tommy!

14 hours ago, BGleas said:

So sad to hear this news. Tommy was just a fantastic guy. Being in PR, I worked pretty closely with him in my time with the Celtics and he could not have been nicer and more welcoming to a young PR flack who just a blip on his radar. I was fortunate enough to go out to a couple dinners with him on road trips and it was amazing to just sit at the table and listen to him tell stories. Such a great man, and a life well lived. A true legend and an even better person. 

Another fun story is that my dad played college basketball and when Tommy was still playing he would do some local college broadcasts. He called one of my dads games on the radio and my dad came off the bench and had 24 points. During the game Tommy called my dad "Stonehill's secret weapon!". Years later when I worked for the Celtics, as a Christmas gift I had Tommy sign a picture to my dad, "Merry Christmas to Stonehill's Secret Weapon, from Tommy!" It was such a great moment when my dad opened the gift. 

Some other fun facts. The record for points in a NBA Finals Game 7 is 37 points, held by LeBron James and Tommy Heinsohn. Tommy is also a very talented artist/painter. Finally, image being so good at three different careers that you're in the HOF as a player, coach and broadcaster!!

As everyone gets told in the Celtics front office, "Once a Celtic, always a Celtics", and nobody embodied that more than Tommy Heinsohn. 

RIP Tommy!

They say. Once a Marine.... always a Marine.  For some one who worked for the Celtics.... I can understand how you feel the same.  Beautiful.... that you came in contact with the man.  And may he RIP. 

Archived