Rise of MSU and MU recruiting - good or bad

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I disagree about the expectations of the fanbase.  I think the three years of mediocrity post-Crean, along with all of the uncertainty with COVID now, may have permanently altered what the fanbase expects out of the program.  

Just look at this season.  It’s Year 4, and the starting lineup is projected to have three upperclassmen (Phinisee, Durham, Thompson) and two five star underclassmen (TJD and Lander), with some experienced/talented returners and promising freshmen on the bench.  Five years ago, everyone on this board would be predicting a banner with a roster like that.  But now, I haven’t talked to a single IU fan that’s expecting much more than a conference record above .500.  And looking at the roster for next season, I don’t see anyone expecting much more unless TJD decides to come back.  

The fact of the matter is that the program doesn’t really look positioned to contend for a conference title / Final Four anytime soon, and the fanbase doesn’t really seem to have an issue with it.  Archie will get plenty of time, especially now that this season and probably the next season will have a COVID asterisk.

How sad is it as a fanbase then that we no longer expect to be good even when we have a fantastic line-up.  Mediocrity has led to apathy. Apathy will lead to the death of a program if not put in check.  We are slowly or maybe have become Purdue as basketball program, and its sad to see.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

We all want that and I am willing to give Archie a coupe of more years to see if he can do that.

like i said, in the next 2 years he needs to do something.  You saying you'll give him a couple more years is just repeating what i said but arguing with me about it.  My personal opinion is, he has the talent and roster this year.  He needs to show he can compete and coach in the B1G this year.  If he falls on his face and we end up 8-10th place and squeak into the tourney, i will have enough information to come to my own conclusion on coach Miller.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

How sad is it as a fanbase then that we no longer expect to be good even when we have a fantastic line-up.  Mediocrity has led to apathy. Apathy will lead to the death of a program if not put in check.  We are slowly or maybe have become Purdue as basketball program, and its sad to see.

I wouldn't call our lineup a fantastic lineup but very good just like about 7 other big ten teams.

37 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

When will we?  It will likely be the exact same roster next season, only with a borderline 4-star freshman replacing our best player.

We may at this time next year. We have a lot of talented but unproven guys heading into this season. This time next year they won't be unproven and maybe a handful of them will have reached that potential. In addition to Lander, guys like Hunter and Geronimo have star potential. Guys like Galloway, Leal and Franklin have a lot of potential too. Race has a lot of room for growth. 

Add in Duncomb and potentially Aminu and we could have a strong season this year and then primed for the following season. 

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

We may at this time next year. We have a lot of talented but unproven guys heading into this season. This time next year they won't be unproven and maybe a handful of them will have reached that potential. In addition to Lander, guys like Hunter and Geronimo have star potential. Guys like Galloway, Leal and Franklin have a lot of potential too. Race has a lot of room for growth. 

Add in Duncomb and potentially Aminu and we could have a strong season this year and then primed for the following season. 

This isn't pointed at your BGleas specifically, just responding to your post.

We've become the Chicago cubs.  Always talking about next.  Next year the team will be more mature.  Next year the players will all be CAM's.  Next year we will have maybe 3 5* players.  Next year, next year, next year.  We have 2 5 * talents on the team.  We have 3 starter level talents with experience.  We have the tools to be as good as any team in the B1G.  Yet we have fallen on our faces so much for the last 15 years that we can no longer even be excited and hopeful when we have arguably the best roster since Cody was here.  If this roster was on OSU or MSU or Mich, everyone would be talking about final 4 for them.  Take away Garza and we're as talented as Iowa and everyone is talking top 5 for them.  Why are we different?  Why can't be make the jump.  Why can't we excel?  

We haven't played a game yet and people are already making excuses and talking next year is our year if TJD comes back.  If we're already writing off the next 2 years, something major is wrong with our program and we need to fix it now then.

On 11/16/2020 at 3:45 PM, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't call our lineup a fantastic lineup but very good just like about 7 other big ten teams.

That is why IU can not have an off recruiting period.  It appears that the transfer market is going to a huge deal for IU coming up.

On 11/11/2020 at 12:05 PM, FKIM01 said:

As long as Howard is the coach at MU, I'm not real worried.  He has a lot to prove in the X's & O's department.

How can you come to this conclusion  with less than a year on the job?  He should have at least another 5 years to prove what he can do.

24 minutes ago, BDB said:

How can you come to this conclusion  with less than a year on the job?  He should have at least another 5 years to prove what he can do.

That he's got a lot to prove?  That's not a conclusion.  It's simply saying there's not enough of a body of work to say he's a good tactician.  Feel free to draw a conclusion that proves he is.  I have my doubts, frankly, but he's got Martelli to cover for him for now.

Don't worry...unless he's disturbing the sheep on old MacDonald's farm he'll likely get a few years to prove his chops outside of his ability to recruit.  I don't see anywhere in my post where I'm calling for his removal.

On 11/16/2020 at 9:14 PM, BGleas said:

Yeah but that's all just sunshine posting. 😁

Archived