Mustapha Amzil committed to Dayton.

Vincent14

5 minutes ago, MaroonRebel said:

We strike out on the kid from southern Indiana and Mason Miller is a long way from a decision. It just has a feel of desperation. Maybe weakness was the wrong word. 

The thing is that we have been on Miller for a long time so I don't see where the desperation you see.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/14/2020 at 3:26 PM, IU Scott said:

The thing is that we have been on Miller for a long time so I don't see where the desperation you see.

I don't see Miller as desperation. I thought we were in a good position until this recent offer. I understand you have to have back up plans. However, It always feels like you asked the two hot girls to the dance and then when they say no, you say I guess I will ask you. This may not be the case and Amzil may be a fantastic find.  He is not our first choice and if we land Miller then I doubt we still offer. I may be wrong. Go Hoosiers! I am also very high on Mason Miller. I think if we get him then we will have a solid class.

17 minutes ago, MaroonRebel said:

I don't see Miller as desperation. I thought we were in a good position until this recent offer. I understand you have to have back up plans. However, It always feels like you asked the two hot girls to the dance and then when they say no, you say I guess I will ask you.

The 5s become 9s the closer to last call

• bluegrassIU changed the title to Mustapha Amzil committed to Dayton.
6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Another team with recent success. Winning really does help sell your program...and putting a kid in the lottery won’t hurt either.

I think us older fans who were use to IU getting a lot of top players have to realize recruiting has totally changed.  You see more and more teams that would be considered mid majors who has been very prominent nationally and it wasn't that way 30 years ago.  You have Gonzaga, Creighton, Dayton and I am sure there are others but they are vying for top players as well.  With recruiting being more national today you will see more teams involved with top players.  You will see the very top players still going to UK, Duke or KU but now you see teams like FSU, Washington and other teams like them getting top players.

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think us older fans who were use to IU getting a lot of top players have to realize recruiting has totally changed.  You see more and more teams that would be considered mid majors who has been very prominent nationally and it wasn't that way 30 years ago.  You have Gonzaga, Creighton, Dayton and I am sure there are others but they are vying for top players as well.  With recruiting being more national today you will see more teams involved with top players.  You will see the very top players still going to UK, Duke or KU but now you see teams like FSU, Washington and other teams like them getting top players.

Television is the great equalizer. 30 years ago, only the major conferences got their games aired, save the conference tournaments at the end of the season. Now, so many games are broadcast that a kid can get similar exposure playing for some of the so-called mid-majors. 

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Television is the great equalizer. 30 years ago, only the major conferences got their games aired, save the conference tournaments at the end of the season. Now, so many games are broadcast that a kid can get similar exposure playing for some of the so-called mid-majors. 

Also the fact there are no fans and games to use for recruiting equalizes some. 

I think if we could have gotten a couple of these recruits on campus to see a game in front of 17k+ screaming fans, our chances improve. The aura of a full Assembly hall (matched only by top arenas) is effectively neutralized these days. 

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I think that's a big part of it. I also think the gap in player abilities has shrunk. Kids nowadays play year round, and are physically trained year round as well. More good players to go around means some fall to what use to be known as mid-majors. The difference between 1-150 in the Rivals ratings isn't as stark as it use to be...

Look at the bodies compared to 30 years ago. Every kid is pretty well chiseled. Every kid goes through handing drills, even the big kids. Big kids aren't anchored to the paint any more. 

Not that there aren't still athletes who play basketball, but even the true basketball players are physical specimens in great aerobic shape now...

I know this will draw an argument from @IU Scott. I just think the amount of time these kids play and the training they go through has allowed the talent gap to tighten...

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think that's a big part of it. I also think the gap in player abilities has shrunk. Kids nowadays play year round, and are physically trained year round as well. More good players to go around means some fall to what use to be known as mid-majors. The difference between 1-150 in the Rivals ratings isn't as stark as it use to be...

Look at the bodies compared to 30 years ago. Every kid is pretty well chiseled. Every kid goes through handing drills, even the big kids. Big kids aren't anchored to the paint any more. 

Not that there aren't still athletes who play basketball, but even the true basketball players are physical specimens in great aerobic shape now...

I know this will draw an argument from @IU Scott. I just think the amount of time these kids play and the training they go through has allowed the talent gap to tighten...

I agree the talent level gap has tightened

6 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Also the fact there are no fans and games to use for recruiting equalizes some. 

I think if we could have gotten a couple of these recruits on campus to see a game in front of 17k+ screaming fans, our chances improve. The aura of a full Assembly hall (matched only by top arenas) is effectively neutralized these days. 

We don’t play games in the summer. We had fans at games last year. Now this year it may have an effect but we can’t use that as an excuse for this class. I also will say that like others mentioned the tv money not only puts mid majors in front of eyes as much as major programs but the money they get has been invested back into the program...these mid major programs have just as nice amenities as a major programs. I mean let’s be real some of these new arenas hold just as many people if not more than Assembly and have their own new modern feel. Assembly Hall is unique and one of a kind but these schools aren’t playing in old field houses anymore.

23 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Wonder if Dayton had some kind of connection with him or the team he played for over seas.  If he has only been over here a few weeks it seems odd to commit this fast.

I read that they've actually been recruiting him for awhile, before he decided to take a prep year in Finland. So they definitely had the longest relationship, and he decided to just stick with them rather than opening up a full recruitment.

3 minutes ago, goonaha said:

I read that they've actually been recruiting him for awhile, before he decided to take a prep year in Finland. So they definitely had the longest relationship, and he decided to just stick with them rather than opening up a full recruitment.

Dayton hasn’t missed a beat since Archie left. It’s a good program.

Archived