Hoosier Hysteria

tdhoosier

13 hours ago, BGleas said:

Just realized this is tonight. A little odd that they would plan it the same night as the NBA draft. 

There aren’t any IU guys going to be drafted...why would it interfere with IU fans? Now if we we’re putting guys into the draft year after year I could see why it would be an issue.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand people's desire for excellence and holding IU basketball up to its own high standards and even a desire for a good show of basketball to distract us from a difficult year etc...

I didn't watch this evening so I don't have any opinion on the content of Hoosier Hysteria this year... 

That being said, I wonder what has happened to our fanbase that we are so grouchy about everything. Everything the program does is criticized ad nauseam. A simple introduction to the members of the team that was posted on the internet turns into a grouch fest...The program puts out a two minute video showing the team working out and people crush the coaches for not having free throw drills included in the video...

At this point, the entire fanbase is like the barber shop scene in Hoosiers...It's no wonder that people think twice about signing up to play here. They are essentially signing up to have people criticize their every move and their coach and their friends for every little thing...

16 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I understand people's desire for excellence and holding IU basketball up to its own high standards and even a desire for a good show of basketball to distract us from a difficult year etc...

I didn't watch this evening so I don't have any opinion on the content of Hoosier Hysteria this year... 

That being said, I wonder what has happened to our fanbase that we are so grouchy about everything. Everything the program does is criticized ad nauseam. A simple introduction to the members of the team that was posted on the internet turns into a grouch fest...The program puts out a two minute video showing the team working out and people crush the coaches for not having free throw drills included in the video...

At this point, the entire fanbase is like the barber shop scene in Hoosiers...It's no wonder that people think twice about signing up to play here. They are essentially signing up to have people criticize their every move and their coach and their friends for every little thing...

Amen to that and those fans are what makes it harder to be a fan in today's culture.

21 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

Agree; however, with all the technology and Cuban Tech in the building, they could of done something better.  Like it or not, this could of been used as a recruiting tool.  And, there are thousands of fans that looked forward to this event.  Put a little more thought and effort and emotion and energy in it.  I am always defending the program.  This could of been more and it wouldn't of taken that much more effort.  

34 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

Couldn’t agree more 

26 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Agree; however, with all the technology and Cuban Tech in the building, they could of done something better.  Like it or not, this could of been used as a recruiting tool.  And, there are thousands of fans that looked forward to this event.  Put a little more thought and effort and emotion and energy in it.  I am always defending the program.  This could of been more and it wouldn't of taken that much more effort.  

That's a fair criticism and an understandable desired outcome given the resources available and the somewhat concerning stall in recruiting momentum (as we perceive it).

29 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Rob, Lander, TJD, Race. Al and also saw Hunter in white towards end — this is just my guesswork don’t know, but it was usually the same guys teamed up on white or red and teams generally break starters and bench off together for scrimmaging 

Good to hear that’s how it’s shaking out.  We need Race to be good enough to push Brunk to the bench this season.  And it should be a toss-up between Durham and Hunter for the three spot, but given Durham’s experience in a starting role, I’m guessing he’ll get the nod.

8 hours ago, Reacher said:

Glad I didn't create a FB account for that

I'm sorry I used the wife's FB acct to login. What an embarrassment!

Whoever is doing the "marketing" for the team needs to be fired. (Nobody would use this as a recruiting tool)

9 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

The issue is that this was billed as ‘Hoosier Hysteria’ on Facebook LIVE. They made a graphic and everything. Billing it as such was a tad misleading and got the hopes up of crazy fans who look forward to this event ever year. True, it’s not something that should warrant extreme criticism, but that was a 15 minute recruiting video, which is okay....just don’t advertise it as Hoosier Hysteria, which we all know is a dunk contest, 3 point contest, live scrimmage, etc. Not that I expected everything, but I think just releasing an un-edited pre-recorded scrimmage would’ve quenched the thirst. If that wasn’t in the plans then just say: “on 11/18 we’re going to give you a sneak peak of the program because we can’t hold Hoosier Hysteria.“ 

I’ll probably forget about it after tomorrow, but there’s  no need to criticize the fan base for getting their hopes up based on what the program was promoting.  

11 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Shout out from Geronimo for the Travis Scott reference -- we know the kid / rapper, he went to high school right around the corner here, comes back all the time   

Ayden is the biggest Travis Scott fan, knows all the words to all his songs raps it for us quite a bit. All clean versions though

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

The issue is that this was billed as ‘Hoosier Hysteria’ on Facebook LIVE. They made a graphic and everything. Billing it as such was a tad misleading and got the hopes up of crazy fans who look forward to this event ever year. True, it’s not something that should warrant extreme criticism, but that was a 15 minute recruiting video, which is okay....just don’t advertise it as Hoosier Hysteria, which we all know is a dunk contest, 3 point contest, live scrimmage, etc. Not that I expected everything, but I think just releasing an un-edited pre-recorded scrimmage would’ve quenched the thirst. If that wasn’t in the plans then just say: “on 11/18 we’re going to give you a sneak peak of the program because we can’t hold Hoosier Hysteria.“ 

This sounds exactly like me trying to explain it to my wife this morning (she was fascinated, not). I had figured out how to use her account to watch saved a couple choice beers to start on at about 7:45 and then... 

I wonder if lack of resources played any part.  With lay offs and furloughs in the athletics department maybe this was the most cost effective option?  Even outsourcing would have cost money.

I didn’t watch so I can’t form a full opinion but I agree based off the statements above it would have been helpful if they provided a clear description of what this would be to set the appropriate expectation bar.  You can’t label this as Hoosier Hysteria and not expect some criticism if that is not what you end up supplying.  Just be transparent.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Ayden is the biggest Travis Scott fan, knows all the words to all his songs raps it for us quite a bit. All clean versions though

It's pretty wild really, he's a local kid, was one of the quiet ones in class, and is now one of the biggest and most successful rappers out there. Comes back every now and then to attend his high school football games (pre-Covid), in a Ferrari or Lambo, of course!

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It's pretty wild really, he's a local kid, was one of the quiet ones in class, and is now one of the biggest and most successful rappers out there. Comes back every now and then to attend his high school football games (pre-Covid), in a Ferrari or Lambo, of course!

Menards westfield now.  

IMG_20201119_095650814.jpg

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Thats awesome. 

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I’ll probably forget about it after tomorrow, but there’s  no need to criticize the fan base for getting their hopes up based on what the program was promoting.  

I think that's a fair response to my post. They could have communicated in such a way that people would have known what to expect and would have appreciated what they had the chance to see.

Living in Columbus, Ohio though, I see a huge advantage for the Coach Holtmann in that there is a sense of support for him that CAM has never enjoyed. Perhaps it is achieved through the football obsession that covers the flaws of the basketball program, but it plays a real role in the trajectory of the program. 

The basketball players at OSU are either celebrated or ignored. Never crushed. You don't see OSU basketball players being raked over the coals for every decision and you don't see the program scrutinized for decision.

The first year of CAM and Holtmann at their respcective schools they each had a pretty significant losing streak. The two teams were actually on a losing streak at the same time. The IU media was talking about whether or not CAM should be fired in his first year and the Columbus, Ohio media was actually pushing articles and radio segments about how much of a genius Chris Holtmann is...having been around basketball my whole life, the things that the Columbus media glows about are honestly so straightforward and normal...they support him without question, and it pays off for them. They offer all of the benefits that IU does and none of the harsh criticisms...

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

:) We have Lambos all over here all the time, the number of athletes and artists here is ridiculous and with all that comes the crazy cars.... That's a nice ride though

Another passion for Ayden is sports cars. He know everything about every Lambo, Ferrari , Bugatti. I had never heard of a Likan Hypersport buti thanks to Ayden I'm an expert. 

12 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I think that's a fair response to my post. They could have communicated in such a way that people would have known what to expect and would have appreciated what they had the chance to see.

Living in Columbus, Ohio though, I see a huge advantage for the Coach Holtmann in that there is a sense of support for him that CAM has never enjoyed. Perhaps it is achieved through the football obsession that covers the flaws of the basketball program, but it plays a real role in the trajectory of the program. 

The basketball players at OSU are either celebrated or ignored. Never crushed. You don't see OSU basketball players being raked over the coals for every decision and you don't see the program scrutinized for decision.

The first year of CAM and Holtmann at their respcective schools they each had a pretty significant losing streak. The two teams were actually on a losing streak at the same time. The IU media was talking about whether or not CAM should be fired in his first year and the Columbus, Ohio media was actually pushing articles and radio segments about how much of a genius Chris Holtmann is...having been around basketball my whole life, the things that the Columbus media glows about are honestly so straightforward and normal...they support him without question, and it pays off for them. They offer all of the benefits that IU does and none of the harsh criticisms...

I have begun to think of IU fans like NY Knicks fans -- always extremely critical, always extremely vocal, unforgiving, harsh, etc. IU has championships, the Knicks haven't done didley squat in decades, have no concept of good management, and always underperform. It's disappointing, to me, that IU fans act like Knick fans. But winning will cure all ills, and imo IU is on the cusp of real winning again.

so after watching HH i love to start debating starting lineups again... this event didn't shed much light on that other than the observation made earlier that the White team in the practice video had TJD, Brunk, Lander, Rob, and Al most of the time.  i know the overwhelming majority on here do not want Brunk in there.  i would still venture to say that lineup is fairly likely.  i know we have a separate thread for this as well, but thoughts on whether this is what we'll see for game 1 or swapping Thompson or Hunter for Brunk?  or Hunter for one of the guards?  one of my buddies insists Franklin for Lander, but i just don't see that happening.  anyway, not really interested in what everybody WANTS to see, but more of what you THINK we'll see.  thoughts? 

Archived