Hoosier Hysteria

tdhoosier

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

There aren’t any IU guys going to be drafted...why would it interfere with IU fans? Now if we we’re putting guys into the draft year after year I could see why it would be an issue.

Do IU fans not like basketball? Do you only watch the draft when there are IU players involved? I'd imagine there are thousands of IU fans that typically watch the NBA draft because they like basketball and like the NBA, and have a favorite team. 

The eyes of the basketball world were on the NBA last night. 

Though from what I'm reading about the dud of an event, maybe it was a smart move to do it while basketball attention was elsewhere. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so after watching HH i love to start debating starting lineups again... this event didn't shed much light on that other than the observation made earlier that the White team in the practice video had TJD, Brunk, Lander, Rob, and Al most of the time.  i know the overwhelming majority on here do not want Brunk in there.  i would still venture to say that lineup is fairly likely.  i know we have a separate thread for this as well, but thoughts on whether this is what we'll see for game 1 or swapping Thompson or Hunter for Brunk?  or Hunter for one of the guards?  one of my buddies insists Franklin for Lander, but i just don't see that happening.  anyway, not really interested in what everybody WANTS to see, but more of what you THINK we'll see.  thoughts? 

I'm definitely not in that majority. haha. I love Brunk, but his inclusion amongst that group completely changes the way I'd like to see us play offense (open up the middle) and defense (hedging with a mobile big man). 

I still think the starters will be: TJD, Race, Rob, Al, and either Hunter or Lander.  

My guess is Hunter will get the nod initially because if Brink is not in the line up we'll need his size and rebounding. Lander is the wild card for me because I haven't seen him play enough, or know if he's strong enough yet. If he is, He'll find his way in to the line up someway or another. 

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Do IU fans not like basketball? Do you only watch the draft when there are IU players involved? I'd imagine there are thousands of IU fans that typically watch the NBA draft because they like basketball and like the NBA, and have a favorite team. 

The eyes of the basketball world were on the NBA last night. 

Though from what I'm reading about the dud of an event, maybe it was a smart move to do it while basketball attention was elsewhere. 

No I don’t watch the nba draft. Do people ever watch the nba draft? You can just check on your phone who gets picked. You really need to see what the kid is wearing too? 
I know the nfl has a ton more production going into it and people tune in but basketball? I’m being honest. Would love to know the ratings on that one.

To your second point...no doubt...almost like they were embarrassed to put it out there..so hide it.

13 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Agree; however, with all the technology and Cuban Tech in the building, they could of done something better.  Like it or not, this could of been used as a recruiting tool.  And, there are thousands of fans that looked forward to this event.  Put a little more thought and effort and emotion and energy in it.  I am always defending the program.  This could of been more and it wouldn't of taken that much more effort.  

This is what I don’t get. Have one of the biggest tech alumni’s in history along with one of the best business schools in the country and they can’t do a better job marketing Indiana basketball....inexcusable!

3 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

I wonder if lack of resources played any part.  With lay offs and furloughs in the athletics department maybe this was the most cost effective option?  Even outsourcing would have cost money.

I didn’t watch so I can’t form a full opinion but I agree based off the statements above it would have been helpful if they provided a clear description of what this would be to set the appropriate expectation bar.  You can’t label this as Hoosier Hysteria and not expect some criticism if that is not what you end up supplying.  Just be transparent.

You have a whole school of supposedly capable undergrads and grad school marketing, PR, IT, business students. I guarantee any effort at all with letting them work on it (resume fodder) would be no problem. This was just half a$$ed and we all know it.

13 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Rob, Lander, TJD, Race. Al and also saw Hunter in white towards end — this is just my guesswork don’t know, but it was usually the same guys teamed up on white or red and teams generally break starters and bench off together for scrimmaging 

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so after watching HH i love to start debating starting lineups again... this event didn't shed much light on that other than the observation made earlier that the White team in the practice video had TJD, Brunk, Lander, Rob, and Al most of the time.  i know the overwhelming majority on here do not want Brunk in there.  i would still venture to say that lineup is fairly likely.  i know we have a separate thread for this as well, but thoughts on whether this is what we'll see for game 1 or swapping Thompson or Hunter for Brunk?  or Hunter for one of the guards?  one of my buddies insists Franklin for Lander, but i just don't see that happening.  anyway, not really interested in what everybody WANTS to see, but more of what you THINK we'll see.  thoughts? 

We seem to have a discrepancy...Was it Race or Joey that was in white?

For what it's worth, I've said a long time ago I thought our starting 5 would be Brunk, TJD, Al, Rob, and Lander... 

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

For what it's worth, I've said a long time ago I thought our starting 5 would be Brunk, TJD, Al, Rob, and Lander... 

I saw Brunk in red but like I said there were a couple of changes and I didn't stop the vid, just noted who I saw while I was watching. I know you want to see Brunk start -- and I disagree with that --  Brunk's minutes were down to around 9 a game by year end, and Race was playing in the 20's and as CAM has said publicly, basically as a starter. But it could be TJD and Brunk up front to start the season, something to watch.

47 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm definitely not in that majority. haha. I love Brunk, but his inclusion amongst that group completely changes the way I'd like to see us play offense (open up the middle) and defense (hedging with a mobile big man). 

I still think the starters will be: TJD, Race, Rob, Al, and either Hunter or Lander.  

My guess is Hunter will get the nod initially because if Brink is not in the line up we'll need his size and rebounding. Lander is the wild card for me because I haven't seen him play enough, or know if he's strong enough yet. If he is, He'll find his way in to the line up someway or another. 

Lander will start, think that's pretty clear at this point. Team is looking for a 3 ball-handling guard group. Think it's between either Hunter and Race, or Hunter and Al, and I think Race starts for the size/strength up front and I'd be shocked if Al doesn't start, so I think Hunter is likely to come off the bench at least to start the season. Regardless, Hunter will play a lot more minutes, and will likely close a lot of games. Guys want to start, fans watch who starts, including me, but how much a guy plays and who finishes is really more important -- case in point, Race finishing the season playing +20 min a game, off the bench, while Brunk continued to start but was playing around 9 min.

I think CAM just held on the starting group, while changing minutes and roles. I doubt that carries over to this season but we'll see. I don't think a starter should be playing 9 minutes a game, and if CAM does that I'll be one saying it's not a good thing and it needs to change.

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

My recollection must be off then, I recall you arguing for Brunk to start, but my bad if I'm remembering wrong.

Last year, simply because I thought the way THAT IU team could win was to pound the ball inside. I had kinda thought that with outside shooters that ranged from inconsistent (Green (pause), Rob, and Armaan) to poor (Smith) to pretty good (Hunter...better toward the end, and Al) we would have to grind out wins.

This year, I think we'll be better from the outside...Al should be close to his numbers, but I expect better numbers from Rob, Armaan, and Hunter (akin to his numbers from late last year)...

But I think Archie is going to at least start the season with Joey in the starting lineup...It may change, but I think that's the way we start out...

As far as the lineup I personally think would play the best together, it would be Race, TJD, Hunter, Rob, and Lander (with that last spot being fought for between Lander, Al, and Armaan)...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I just re watched it. It was race. However I will say there were times in the video when TJD AND Brunk were both in the red jersey with lander. 

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Last year, simply because I thought the way THAT IU team could win was to pound the ball inside. I had kinda thought that with outside shooters that ranged from inconsistent (Green (pause), Rob, and Armaan) to poor (Smith) to pretty good (Hunter...better toward the end, and Al) we would have to grind out wins.

This year, I think we'll be better from the outside...Al should be close to his numbers, but I expect better numbers from Rob, Armaan, and Hunter (akin to his numbers from late last year)...

But I think Archie is going to at least start the season with Joey in the starting lineup...It may change, but I think that's the way we start out...

As far as the lineup I personally think would play the best together, it would be Race, TJD, Hunter, Rob, and Lander (with that last spot being fought for between Lander, Al, and Armaan)...

We used to have a member who provided graphs tracking the most efficient (and inneficient) offensive and defensive lineups in each game, with each lineup included for each game (multiple lineups); that was really interesting and helpful in evaluating the team and lineups. Wish we still had that, it's outside my wheelhouse to try to put that together.

I'm sure we'll see each of 

Rob, Lander, Hunter, Race, TJD 

Rob, Lander, Al, Race, TJD

Rob, Lander, Al, Race, Brunk

Lander, Al, Hunter, Race, TJD

Rob, Lander, Al, Hunter, TJD

etc.

I don't think we'll see much of 

Rob, Lander, Al, Brunk, TJD -- at least I hope not (I had to go back and edit the above lol where I meant to include a lineup of Race and Brunk -- and I didn't even include lineups without Lander)

6 minutes ago, IUskim said:

I just re watched it. It was race. However I will say there were times in the video when TJD AND Brunk were both in the red jersey with lander. 

Yeah, coach is going to mix up the lineups at times and see which pieces fit and play well, it's not going to be (and shouldn't be) static. Do think from what I saw that Race was most often in that (apparently) starting group, but then we're also just seeing a snapshot in the HH format.

44 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah, coach is going to mix up the lineups at times and see which pieces fit and play well, it's not going to be (and shouldn't be) static. Do think from what I saw that Race was most often in that (apparently) starting group, but then we're also just seeing a snapshot in the HH format.

I agree. Although I have always thought who starts isn’t as important as who finishes the game. 

13 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I think you missed that that observation was corrected, it was Race not Brunk most of the time. And I don’t think the lineup of TJD with Brunk is fairly likely — Brunk closes the season playing around 9 min a game while Race was in the 20s. CAM does highly value “older” - experience, but he’s been talking about a more get out and go team with Lander running a 3-guard look. We’ll see who starts, but as Brunk’s minutes we’re mostly taken by Race by year end and we keep hearing how well Race is playing f over the summer why assume differently? 

On 11/19/2020 at 11:50 AM, IUFLA said:

I agree with your starting five for the first game, but think that Race will get the nod by the end of the season and play more minutes than Brunk very soon into the season if not from the start.

2 hours ago, MaroonRebel said:

I agree with your starting five for the first game, but think that Race will get the nod by the end of the season and play more minutes than Brunk very soon into the season if not from the start.

I think Joey will start every game unless he's injured, he tells CAM that Race SHOULD start, or Race just plays so lights out that it forces Archie to make the change...

But I do agree that Race will get more minutes regardless. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think Joey will start every game unless he's injured, he tells CAM that Race SHOULD start, or Race just plays so lights out that it forces Archie to make the change...

But I do agree that Race will get more minutes regardless. 

CAM does not make lineup decisions based on what Brunk wants. Brunk isn’t going you tell CAM anyone should start and CAM isn’t going to hear anything like that. And Race already has been playing lights out over the summer and that’s why he was in the white Jersey starting group for much of the time during HH. Brunk May still start, with Race playing more minutes, but CAM already publicly said Race finished the year basically as a starter and he’s only gotten better.

Archived