An announcement..

btownqb

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

So... we are non conventional. 

I left football a little early this morning, changed in the coaches office, and headed to city hall. Today at 11am we were officially hitched. My mom was there. It was very special for us. 

238274.jpeg

238276.jpeg

Congrats! Non Conventional is being conventional.....days of those large weddings have been exit stage right for 10+ years anyway. Congratulations again!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

There are 2 "happiest days in a man's life". You've achieved the first, congratulations sir ! ! :)

Beautiful partner.

I will throw my Congratulations in here as well, but my happiest days were the births of my 3 kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUaic said:

I will throw my Congratulations in here as well, but my happiest days were the births of my 3 kids.

I have 3 kids too...

I always tell my wife, 

"The 4 happiest days of my life...when the girls were born...and when the Cubs won the World Series...just kidding, sweetie!" 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Does that make me an over-achiever?  :coffee:

I used to work with a guy that told me he can remember 3 dates in history. The birth of his only child, his divorce date and 1 week later when he bought the Harley he always wanted but wife would not allow. Initially I thought he was joking partially but as I got to know him I began to believe him

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Congrats! Non Conventional is being conventional.....days of those large weddings have been exit stage right for 10+ years anyway. Congratulations again!

I’ll also advocate for this stance. Unless you have a liquid net worth north of 7 figures, why spend 50-75K on a one day party? That’s a big chunk of a decent house. 

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I’ll also advocate for this stance. Unless you have a liquid net worth north of 7 figures, why spend 50-75K on a one day party? That’s a big chunk of a decent house. 

Is that how much it costs nowadays?

I think we spent $5000 in 2008.  I made all the invitations and built this cake stand in my college apartment.  My wife's bridesmaid sister made brownies and cupcakes at no charge. 

20210715_164126.jpg

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Know a couple in that category. Kids are trading wedding days for down payments on homes or business start ups. Been that way for a long time it seems like.

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Is that how much it costs nowadays?

I think we spent $5000 in 2008.  I made all the invitations and built this cake stand in my college apartment.  My wife's bridesmaid sister made brownies and cupcakes at no charge. 

20210715_164126.jpg

There’s “non-wealthy” dresses that cost 5K. 
For a “fairytale” wedding? 50K wouldn’t  surprise me. That’s on the extreme end for “realistic”, but it wouldn’t shock me. 

Even if it’s 20K, that’s 20% down on a lot of homes. Or just money to save/invest. 

12 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

There’s “non-wealthy” dresses that cost 5K. 
For a “fairytale” wedding? 50K wouldn’t  surprise me. That’s on the extreme end for “realistic”, but it wouldn’t shock me. 

Even if it’s 20K, that’s 20% down on a lot of homes. Or just money to save/invest. 

My wife spent $1200 on her dress. It's was a prototype and she ordered it from Australia.  We still only spent $5000. Why? Because that was her parents budget and I'd be damned if I was going to spend my money on it. So I did what I do best and got to work. A DIY wedding.  But it made for some great memories and everything is better when you do it yourself.  

I put that cake stand together with 3 tools, a hacksaw, some sandpaper, and a cordless drill. 

• Like 3

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

My wife spent $1200 on her dress. It's was a prototype and she ordered it from Australia.  We still only spent $5000. Why? Because that was her parents budget and I'd be damned if I was going to spend my money on it. So I did what I do best and got to work. A DIY wedding.  But it made for some great memories and everything is better when you do it yourself.  

I put that cake stand together with 3 tools, a hacksaw, some sandpaper, and a cordless drill. 

Don’t blame you a bit.