Fryfogle Named B1G Offensive Player of the Week

KDB

• KDB changed the title to Fryfogle Named B1G Offensive Player of the Week

Another example, like McFadden or Stevie Scott, of a kid who wasn’t ranked all that high (all were low three stars at best) and all are beasting.  It’s funny, everyone claims Michigan has so much talent.  The fallacy is it’s based on people clutching a sheet of paper with rankings based on self proclaimed gurus.  IU is the far superior team in terms of talent and it’s guys like Fryfogle and McFadden who came in with low recruit scores and are high level performers.   I’m not saying recruiting rankings are useless.  They provide a data point.  The fallacy is people thinking they are definitive.  They are not.  Not even close.  

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

What if Whop and Ty come back 🙈🙈🙈

Man, Fry is a beauty to watch.  Strong, physical, great hands.  The best part.  Love his cuts and breaks to get open.  He’s not rounding them off like some weenie.  He’s got tough, sharp, breaks.   And he’s muscular.  He reminds me of somebody specific who has played on Sunday’s but the name isn’t there yet for me.  I will keep thinking about it.  

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Man, Fry is a beauty to watch.  Strong, physical, great hands.  The best part.  Love his cuts and breaks to get open.  He’s not rounding them off like some weenie.  He’s got tough, sharp, breaks.   And he’s muscular.  He reminds me of somebody specific who has played on Sunday’s but the name isn’t there yet for me.  I will keep thinking about it.  

Hes Reggie Wayne ish.. not the fastest, not the biggest.. but catches everything (except for one ball lol).. good route runner, tough dude.. really competes for the ball. 

5 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree. His physicality is what makes me think he will succeed on Sundays. He plays through a lot of contact and sometimes “artfully” uses his hands to create separation.

5 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Another example, like McFadden or Stevie Scott, of a kid who wasn’t ranked all that high (all were low three stars at best) and all are beasting.  It’s funny, everyone claims Michigan has so much talent.  The fallacy is it’s based on people clutching a sheet of paper with rankings based on self proclaimed gurus.  IU is the far superior team in terms of talent and it’s guys like Fryfogle and McFadden who came in with low recruit scores and are high level performers.   I’m not saying recruiting rankings are useless.  They provide a data point.  The fallacy is people thinking they are definitive.  They are not.  Not even close.  

I think Michigan’s lack of success is an indictment of JH rather than proof they don’t have talent. Same thing last season as they were not elite last year but had 10 players drafted. I’ll be surprised if we see him on the sidelines next year.

2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

I think Michigan’s lack of success is an indictment of JH rather than proof they don’t have talent. Same thing last season as they were not elite last year but had 10 players drafted. I’ll be surprised if we see him on the sidelines next year.

IMO there may be a coaching issue with these particular players being defective. He may have lost them to some extent. Harbaugh has too much of a track record to just ignore.  He won at Stanford and at the niners he took a moribund franchise and quickly took them to literally the super bowl.  That gives him the credibility. The players have none.  If he leaves Michigan there will be a line led by the Jets and Bears to try to get him.

It was fairly obvious that IU had considerably more talent.  IU was the better team from start to finish, and fairly overwhelmingly so.  You can’t just dismiss that as coaching.  IU was beating them physically, play in, play out.  That’s not to say Michigan doesn’t have some good players here and there.  I am talking about the aggregate. 

If you brought a neutral alien down from the sky or pulled a grandma away from her knitting and asked who had better players, they’d no doubt say it’s pretty obvious IU does.  

Coach Allen has a great eye for the right type of prospects who fit what he wants to do, position by position, and he doesn’t compromise on what he wants.  They can then excel here.  

By way of example, and not limitation, Penix, Scott, Bedford, Jones, Hendershot, Philyor, Fryfogle, Campbell, Jerome Johnson, McFadden, Cam Jones, Jamar Johnson, Matthews, Taylor, Mullen, et al.  That’s a long list of players for IU that are really good and most have a good shot of playing on Sunday’s.  Those are real players.  

On 11/25/2020 at 6:16 PM, btownqb said:

Hes Reggie Wayne ish.. not the fastest, not the biggest.. but catches everything (except for one ball lol).. good route runner, tough dude.. really competes for the ball. 

I was thinking same era, opposite side. Marvin Harrison. Not huge, not a burner, but tough as hell and runs routes as precise as an eye surgeon with a laser. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Harrison was like elite speed. 4.38

You know ...I thought that as I was posting the above. He never played like a "speed guy" though. Wasn't one of those "Can only catch 40 yard bombs by outrunning everyone". Sure, he COULD do that, but I remember him more for his precision (which was a requirement for playing with Peyton, but I think Harrison was that way anyway). 

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

You know ...I thought that as I was posting the above. He never played like a "speed guy" though. Wasn't one of those "Can only catch 40 yard bombs by outrunning everyone". Sure, he COULD do that, but I remember him more for his precision (which was a requirement for playing with Peyton, but I think Harrison was that way anyway). 

Caught like 140 balls one year.. ran the slant like a master. I was liked watching the replays of he and Wayne running that route tree with Peyton like 3 hours before the game. Very cool. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Caught like 140 balls one year.. ran the slant like a master. I was liked watching the replays of he and Wayne running that route tree with Peyton like 3 hours before the game. Very cool. 

Exactly. He wasn't a pure possession receiver and wasn't a pure burner. He was one of the few that could do both . 

And they could sell copies of those warm-ups/route progressions those three did as instructional videos just as-is. Only commentary would be "Want to become an elite passer or receiver....do this. Repeatedly." 

11 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Exactly. He wasn't a pure possession receiver and wasn't a pure burner. He was one of the few that could do both . 

And they could sell copies of those warm-ups/route progressions those three did as instructional videos just as-is. Only commentary would be "Want to become an elite passer or receiver....do this. Repeatedly." 

Harrison was underrated his whole career. If you can be an 8x pro bowler, 3x all pro, and HOFer and still be underrated. 

Archived