Big 10 Schedule

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Good to see the excuses are already incoming. Great way to not to be scheduled 9 games against the top 5 is to be one of those top 5. 

Do you actually believe that makes sense? So by your point the best in the league on paper should get the most favorable schedules? Care to explain Purdue's schedule? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Seeking6 said:

Do you actually believe that makes sense? So by your point the best in the league on paper should get the most favorable schedules? Care to explain Purdue's schedule? 

I literally didn’t say that. 

You literally can’t play 9 games against the top 5 if you are one of the top 5 teams. 

We have been a mediocre team for decades because people look for reasons for underachievement 

26 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Play the schedule you’re given.

No whining.

Take it one game at a time.

”Woe is me” is for teams looking for excuses.

Can’t wait to see this team and look forward to them outperforming the so called pundits.

And, oh yeah. Covid may make this all irrelevant 

Agree, but man that schedule including non-conference is TOUGH. Looking at the pre-season top 25 (AP and Coaches) we have 15 games of 27 against ranked teams (assuming we play Texas and UNC in the Maui). We have an additional 4 games against teams getting votes in Providence, Purdue (2) and Maryland. That is 19 of 27 extremely tough games. This doesn’t include Butler or road games at NEB or NWestern. Which leaves us with ONLY 5 games we can look at and say that should definitely be a W (Tenn Tech, N Alabama, N-western at home, PSU at home and Minny at home). WOW! 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Good to see the excuses are already incoming. Great way to not to be scheduled 9 games against the top 5 is to be one of those top 5. 

I'm leaning towards 17-3. 

All your negativity has me digging into this team and it's opponents a little more.  Nothing special about them, I mean besides Illinois two pros that decided to come back and the preseason national player of the year at Iowa.  Josh Langford's health is a new word.  Kid should be going into his 3rd year of his rookie contract, poor kid.  

But this team is about to surprise.  I gleaned from that 30 second scrimmage clip that Armaan Franklin is the secret sauce to go along with finally healthy Race, Rob, and Jerome.  It's on.  I'm leaning 1st -6th ceiling to floor.  Chemistry is key here.  See the amish badgers last year rallying the buggies after their best player quit on them.   

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue. Illini were gifted a schedule. They have single plays vs the top half of conference. 

Evens out from last year when we had a very tough schedule. Disappointed we only get Iowa once. When you have a good team, I'd rather have the tougher schedule. 

Here's hoping we get to play all these games.

Just now, BruceDouglas said:

Cheers to that.  Good luck to you guys.  I'm leaning towards you guys as favorites because I see something special in Ayo.  If the Pacers had a 15th pick to spare he's the guy I would want.  The ceiling is the roof.  Stay healthy my friend.  

7 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Evens out from last year when we had a very tough schedule. Disappointed we only get Iowa once. When you have a good team, I'd rather have the tougher schedule. 

Good luck with things! See you guys the day after Christmas!  Hopefully things go as planned. 

Much harder to make a schedule prediction knowing all the game are going to be played in empty stadiums... Could be a lot easier to win a game on the road and a lot harder to win a game at home.  

Schedule is pretty brutal — the games against Northwestern are really the only gimmes.  But it’s time to put up or shut up with a pretty veteran roster, two five stars, and another Mr. Basketball.  12-8 should be the bare minimum.

25 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Much harder to make a schedule prediction knowing all the game are going to be played in empty stadiums... Could be a lot easier to win a game on the road and a lot harder to win a game at home.  

Schedule is pretty brutal — the games against Northwestern are really the only gimmes.  But it’s time to put up or shut up with a pretty veteran roster, two five stars, and another Mr. Basketball.  12-8 should be the bare minimum.

I don't think NW is a gimme at all

12 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Agree, but man that schedule including non-conference is TOUGH. Looking at the pre-season top 25 (AP and Coaches) we have 15 games of 27 against ranked teams (assuming we play Texas and UNC in the Maui). We have an additional 4 games against teams getting votes in Providence, Purdue (2) and Maryland. That is 19 of 27 extremely tough games. This doesn’t include Butler or road games at NEB or NWestern. Which leaves us with ONLY 5 games we can look at and say that should definitely be a W (Tenn Tech, N Alabama, N-western at home, PSU at home and Minny at home). WOW! 

If you want to be ranked.  If you want to be respected.  If you want to be on the big stage.  Play big games.  We got that this year.  Even if our records is lower than we hope (and i will be pissed if we finish below 5 in B1G play) we're going to be battle hardened when we hit the tournament.  Its why great teams make big runs.  They don't play weak schedules to get to the final 4.  Its teams that have been on the big stage against big opponents and moved forward.

Lets not make excuses for the team and coach before we have even played a game yet.  If we fall on our face, its going to be on the coach and the team for doing so.  Not because we played a tough schedule.  We want Final Fours and National Champions.  This is how we get there.  Bring it on.  Let them see what we're made of.  I hope this team takes this as a challenge and rises to the occasion and puts our figurative foot up their asses this season.  Welcome to IU basketball boys and girls!

9 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

i was thinking about this myself.  It goes both ways though too.  We might drop more home games but even out on the road since there won't be any of the fans for the game and refs to get caught up in.  Going to be the same for the Tourney i bet.

42 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If we lose to Northwestern this year, we are in a poopload of trouble.

I'm not saying we're going to lose to them, but we can't overlook them either. I watched them a lot last year, and hey have a nice young core with some size and shooting. If you remember, they gave us all we wanted at Assembly Hall last year. Koop, Young, Buie, Nance, and Beran are a nice foundation to build around, and they have a couple of good kids coming in. Nance and Koop can be a stars in the B10.

And I think Collins can coach. It might not be this year, but eventually this team is going to be in the upper part of the conference.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

If you want to be ranked.  If you want to be respected.  If you want to be on the big stage.  Play big games.  We got that this year.  Even if our records is lower than we hope (and i will be pissed if we finish below 5 in B1G play) we're going to be battle hardened when we hit the tournament.  Its why great teams make big runs.  They don't play weak schedules to get to the final 4.  Its teams that have been on the big stage against big opponents and moved forward.

Lets not make excuses for the team and coach before we have even played a game yet.  If we fall on our face, its going to be on the coach and the team for doing so.  Not because we played a tough schedule.  We want Final Fours and National Champions.  This is how we get there.  Bring it on.  Let them see what we're made of.  I hope this team takes this as a challenge and rises to the occasion and puts our figurative foot up their asses this season.  Welcome to IU basketball boys and girls!

Wasn’t making excuses, just stating a fact. Agree with most of your assessment. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not saying we're going to lose to them, but we can't overlook them either. I watched them a lot last year, and hey have a nice young core with some size and shooting. If you remember, they gave us all we wanted at Assembly Hall last year. Koop, Young, Buie, Nance, and Beran are a nice foundation to build around, and they have a couple of good kids coming in. Nance and Koop can be a stars in the B10.

And I think Collins can coach. It might not be this year, but eventually this team is going to be in the upper part of the conference.

I was at that Northwestern game last year.  Frankly, we sucked that night.  If that's the effort we bring into the 20 conference games this season, we'll go 4-16 at best.  

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I was at that Northwestern game last year.  Frankly, we sucked that night.  If that's the effort we bring into the 20 conference games this season, we'll go 4-16 at best.  

That's fine, and I agree we didn't play well until the end.

But that young Northwestern team give Illinois all they wanted at Champagney (lost by 4), were up on Maryland by 14 at the half, lost to MSU by 5. 

This is a young, big, and talented team. Ignore them at our peril.

Look, if this team becomes as good as we hope it will be, the schedule is excellent.  Play the better teams, beat the better teams.  If they can't at least hold their own here, then too bad.  IU, over the past few years, has generally played up against good competition and down against weaker teams.

• 2 weeks later...
Sat, Dec 26
@Illinois5 Illinois
TBD    
Wed, Dec 30 TBD    
Mon, Jan 4 TBD    
Thu, Jan 7
@Wisconsin4 Wisconsin
TBD    
Sun, Jan 10 TBD    
Thu, Jan 14
vsPurduePurdue
TBD    
Sun, Jan 17 TBD    
Thu, Jan 21
@Iowa3 Iowa
TBD    
Sun, Jan 24
vsRutgers24 Rutgers
TBD    
Sat, Jan 30 TBD    
Tue, Feb 2
vsIllinois5 Illinois
TBD    
Sun, Feb 7
vsIowa3 Iowa
TBD

Brutal stretch of games in the heart of winter.  Where are the wins here?  Penn St, Maryland, Purdue at home and @Nebraska?  Maybe a couple of surprises in there too hopefully.  

11 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:
Sat, Dec 26
@Illinois5 Illinois
TBD    
Wed, Dec 30 TBD    
Mon, Jan 4 TBD    
Thu, Jan 7
@Wisconsin4 Wisconsin
TBD    
Sun, Jan 10 TBD    
Thu, Jan 14
vsPurduePurdue
TBD    
Sun, Jan 17 TBD    
Thu, Jan 21
@Iowa3 Iowa
TBD    
Sun, Jan 24
vsRutgers24 Rutgers
TBD    
Sat, Jan 30 TBD    
Tue, Feb 2
vsIllinois5 Illinois
TBD    
Sun, Feb 7
vsIowa3 Iowa
TBD

Brutal stretch of games in the heart of winter.  Where are the wins here?  Penn St, Maryland, Purdue at home and @Nebraska?  Maybe a couple of surprises in there too hopefully.  

We win every single game

Archived