Game 1 Starters

I will go with

Lander

Rob

Al- Who will be pulled for Hunter sometime after the 4 minute mark. (He may pull Rob and move Al to the 2)

Brunk- Who will be pulled for Race at the time after the first timeout.

TJD

Please note this is not my favorite five. I just think he is going to start the two seniors. Then slowly given way to more productive lineups.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, MaroonRebel said:

I will go with

Lander

Rob

Al- Who will be pulled for Hunter sometime after the 4 minute mark. (He may pull Rob and move Al to the 2)

TJD

Please note this is not my favorite five. I just think he is going to start the two seniors. Then slowly given way to more productive lineups.

I'm too starting to lean Brunk starting and here's why.  

To help Trayce avoid early foul trouble.  Brunk will take the opponents banger out of the gate.

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm too starting to lean Brunk starting and here's why.  

To help Trayce avoid early foul trouble.  Brunk will take the opponents banger out of the gate.

Not long to find out now...but if no reason Race wouldn’t/couldn’t be moved over if we fear that. Personally I’d like to see Rob, Lander, Hunter, Race, and TJD. I like Al as 6th man because he could back up any of our wings and Brunk could come in and slide Trayce to the 4 along Race or move Hunter to 4. Al and Brunk are super nice off the bench along with Armaan and any freshman that can help us. We have a good deep team this year. But Race gives us more energy and more flexibility if he starts. 
That said the man that has seen all the practices will know better...but I think he wants to play smaller and quicker.

If Galloway starts - he is REALLY GOOD. I’m skeptical he actually starts but I very much believe the rumors that he looks really good.

I don’t think we will see very much TJD and Brunk on the floor at the same time. I am a huge Archie fan but will be very concerned if we do see them playing together often because the analytics last year indicated this simply doesn’t work. Maybe it works better without Justin Smith (3 non-shooters is a disaster) but I would like to see Brunk used solely as TJDs backup.

My prediction is:

Rob

Lander

Durham

Race

TJD

3 hours ago, MaroonRebel said:

I will go with

Lander

Rob

TJD

Al was significantly more productive than Rob last season.  

I truly don't understand why people continue to be down on Al.  No, he's not an all-conference performer, but he doesn't deserve for his contributions to be diminished either.  

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I truly don't understand why people continue to be down on Al.  No, he's not an all-conference performer, but he doesn't deserve for his contributions to be diminished either.  

I just disagree. Al was horrible when we asked him to handle the ball and try to run the point. He is a better spot up shooter and that is it. He doesn’t create offense for others...he turns the ball over at a much higher rate than Rob while having the ball less. He also is not as good a defender. Solid but still not as good as Rob. There is more to things than hitting open shots (although we need that) but Al doesn’t beat his man and when he does he can’t finish...he has a horrible floater and don’t get me started on him trying to shoot with his right hand. Rob hasn’t progressed like we have needed...he has been hurt too much but he does things Al can’t and allows Lander to free up to do other things and for us to be able to have a two headed attack on defenses. I just disagree Al is the better player. He was our best shooter but that wasn’t offense he created.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I just disagree. Al was horrible when we asked him to handle the ball and try to run the point. He is a better spot up shooter and that is it. He doesn’t create offense for others...he turns the ball over at a much higher rate than Rob while having the ball less. He also is not as good a defender. Solid but still not as good as Rob. There is more to things than hitting open shots (although we need that) but Al doesn’t beat his man and when he does he can’t finish...he has a horrible floater and don’t get me started on him trying to shoot with his right hand. Rob hasn’t progressed like we have needed...he has been hurt too much but he does things Rob can’t and allows Lander to free up to do other things and for us to be able to have a two headed attack on defenses. I just disagree Al is the better player. He was our best shooter but that wasn’t offense he created.

Rob had 3.3 Turnovers per 40 minutes last season.

Al had 2.8 turnovers per 40 minutes last year.

Rob Phinisee College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

Aljami Durham College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

49 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

By conference play when Rob was starting to get healthy those numbers TO came down and Als went up. Maybe it’s just my opinion but that is too many tos from your second guard. Rob had a poor sophomore year no doubt but I’m hoping his injury slowed his start and that was a big part of it. Rob still can create more offense, takes care of the ball better, and plays better defense.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I agree, I just think Al won’t play the three in long stretches this game. I do think he will start at the three this game then switch to the 2. Then Rob will give Lander breaks at the 1. I think Coach Miller will play several lineups with Al playing the 2 and 3, while Rob will be at the 1 and 2.  I think Al plays more minutes than Rob over the course of the season. I don’t think this game will be a true indicator of the final product. Lander, however, will see more minutes than both.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Rob struggled this past season, the increased TO’s reflected that and that he wasn’t healthy for much of the year, a continuing abdominal problem. It was different his frosh year, but then he had those concussions. Hopefully he’ll stay healthy 

Won’t be thrilled if we see a TJD - Brunk starting group once again but then with three guards and no Smith on the “wing” that can still be a very effective lineup, just still limited offensively up front. Race - THD will give us more versatility, we’ll see. 
While starting is important, I’m going to be more interested to see which players and lineups play the most — I’d say and close, but this first game won’t be close 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not long to find out now...but if no reason Race wouldn’t/couldn’t be moved over if we fear that. Personally I’d like to see Rob, Lander, Hunter, Race, and TJD. I like Al as 6th man because he could back up any of our wings and Brunk could come in and slide Trayce to the 4 along Race or move Hunter to 4. Al and Brunk are super nice off the bench along with Armaan and any freshman that can help us. We have a good deep team this year. But Race gives us more energy and more flexibility if he starts. 
That said the man that has seen all the practices will know better...but I think he wants to play smaller and quicker.

Brunk isn't my first choice and usually wouldn't be in my last 5 of crunch time.  To me it's situational and I never understand any coach that gets paid literally 50 times most of our salaries a year, can't configure a line up that gives them the best strategic advantage.  Drives me literally crazy that we have starting 5 debates all the time when the starting five hardly ever changed last year.  

I don't mind Brunk starting out the game to absorb that first blow physicality that many teams try to start out with.  I love Race and I'm sure he has gotten stronger but there were times last year he either physically was taken advantage of or was just out of place.  Brunk may get out talented but usually can stand his ground.  

Race has the higher ceiling and I'm very hopeful for a jump now that he's actually been healthy for about a year straight.  

We are talking about starting lineups and I actually thought last year we usually got off to a good start.  It seemed like at the first time out we were winning a lot of times but then we would see a couple of subs and that sometimes hurt us.  Why I brought this up is that Brunk started and we usually got off to a good start.

Race was outplaying him last 10-15 games of the season. If the kids are cool with it whatever but I mean Race by the end of the year deserved to start. Problem was is we had some selfish kids and perhaps Miller was trying to hold it together. I don’t see that as a problem this year. I just don’t want to see Race get discouraged or perhaps want to transfer if he is out playing guys and sitting behind them. Whatever the case I trust Archie to know his team. We will know soon enough. And as always as long as we are winning that’s good enough for me.

I agree though Joey has a big role on this team. There will be times he will be the only one physical enough to defend certain people and he gives great energy...but overall Race is the better player.

Everyone talking about Brunk starting is pretty much saying it would only be because he is a senior and keep relying on the fact that Archie talks about getting old and staying old; this ignores that in terms of age in the program Race is "older" and that it sends a terrible message to people that playing time and starting is not merit based. That's a great way to ruin chemistry and culture IMO. 

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Everyone talking about Brunk starting is pretty much saying it would only be because he is a senior and keep relying on the fact that Archie talks about getting old and staying old; this ignores that in terms of age in the program Race is "older" and that it sends a terrible message to people that playing time and starting is not merit based. That's a great way to ruin chemistry and culture IMO. 

I pointed out in the other thread that the talent discrepancy between Race and Joey isn't all that much. We're not comparing either to TJD.

And @IU Scott I thought brought up a good point. We would sometimes start out strong, but have the inevitable "lull" 10-15 minutes in that would cost us. A fresh spark like Race off the bench might mitigate that.

As far as the "merit based" statement goes we're not at the practices and off season workouts, so we don't know the full extent of the merits. It's my belief that both Joey and Race are team oriented, hard workers, good leaders, and overall good kids. They probably laugh at some of the stuff on message boards with the compare/contrast of their skills.

The really good news is, in 2 days we get to see for ourselves!

On 11/20/2020 at 5:58 AM, IUFLA said:

I've said this all along...

I don't think Galloway will start unless the difference in play is so stark that he'd be poised to be on the All B10 Freshman team, and I can't see that being the case.

I agree with @5fouls that the lineup we see on 11/25 won't be the one we finish with. That said, I'll go with what I've said from the time Lander committed...

Rob

Al

Lander

Brunk

TJD

Now @Hoosierhoopsterthought that's the lineup I wanted to see, but that's not the case. I haven't been to the practices, and even if I had been I'm quite positive my eye for what's going on falls a bit short of CAM's. My "guess" is predicated on what I think CAM will do, not my own evaluation based on having seen most of the team play in the past.

And I think the reason CAM will do this is team chemistry. CAM has preached getting older. Practices are one thing (not discounting their value at all) but game play is another. If one of the freshman is playing well in practice, great, but if they would start outplaying an upperclassman in game play, I think that's more easily presented to and absorbed by the team. 

THAT said, I'd like to see how this lineup would fair...

Rob

Kristian

Jerome

Race

TJD

I don't know who Archie will start.  Maybe the seniors.  But this last lineup above, with Lander, Rob, Hunter, TJD and Race Thompson is probably the strongest lineup that IU will have.  You then have Durham, Brunk, Geronimo and others ready to sub in.  If Lander is as good as advertised and Hunter is again the player that he was looking like before his injury, then IU will definitely surprise many.  Mark my words though, Race will be the breakout star this year.

Archived