Game 1 Starters

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think who starts matters as much today. When starters use to play 32-35 minutes it mattered but today with all the subbing it really doesn't matter.

Yes and no. 
It matters for how or if the team gets out of the gate, or ends up playing from behind. 
It matters to the players who compete to start, and if they outplay someone regularly and that person keeps starting anyway it can send a bad message to that player and the rest of the team. 
It can matter for the style of offense, or defense we impose or try to impose on the other team. 
But it doesn’t or may not matter if guys who come off the bench who are starter level players buy in, and play significant minutes and the starters don’t dig a hole, and the lineups collectively work. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes and no. 
It matters for how or if the team gets out of the gate, or ends up playing from behind. 
It matters to the players who compete to start, and if they outplay someone regularly and that person keeps starting anyway it can send a bad message to that player and the rest of the team. 
It can matter for the style of offense, or defense we impose or try to impose on the other team. 
But it doesn’t or may not matter if guys who come off the bench who are starter level players buy in, and play significant minutes and the starters don’t dig a hole, and the lineups collectively work. 

My problem with Archie last year was it seemed like we usually got off to a good start.  after the first time out we would sub 2 guys in and it hurt the rhythm of the game.

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I pointed out in the other thread that the talent discrepancy between Race and Joey isn't all that much. We're not comparing either to TJD.

And @IU Scott I thought brought up a good point. We would sometimes start out strong, but have the inevitable "lull" 10-15 minutes in that would cost us. A fresh spark like Race off the bench might mitigate that.

As far as the "merit based" statement goes we're not at the practices and off season workouts, so we don't know the full extent of the merits. It's my belief that both Joey and Race are team oriented, hard workers, good leaders, and overall good kids. They probably laugh at some of the stuff on message boards with the compare/contrast of their skills.

The really good news is, in 2 days we get to see for ourselves!

If the gap isn't all that much why was Race playing nearly twice as much as Brunk at the end of last year. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If the gap isn't all that much why was Race playing nearly twice as much as Brunk at the end of last year. 

I'm going to guess that Archie saw Race's progression and upside and gave him the minutes as soon as he saw Race pass Brunk.  That's just my guess but it seems to make sense for the overall progression of the program if Brunk is pretty much at his ceiling.

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Because, as I've said numerous times, Race plays a better floor game. Statistics show the gap isn't all that wide. But the major hang-up for some is that Brunk still started. 

Here are my few feeble thoughts on the starting lineup. 

*  Archie seems to have to almost have his hand forced to make a lineup change.  I'm not saying it's what I would do, but I think at least for tomorrow night, Brunk gets the start.  How long that lasts, I don't know. Given we are starting a new season I could very well be wrong about that.  Wouldn't be the first time. 

*  If Jerome becomes the player we all have been hoping for, the guy Romeo texted his dad about, then I don't see how he eventually doesn't find his way into the starting lineup. 

Archived