Maryland

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Leathernecks said:

Am I the only one who sees a blowout happening today? I don't think Maryland is very good to begin with, and they'll be missing quite a few players.

Plus, with us coming off a loss, I think we'll be ready to kick some ass.

My trouble is the mental adjustment we as fans are going through in the last year or so. Similar to what I experienced with my Cubs around 2015....the fans change in me as well. I'll never get to the point of automatic W with IU Football(hope I do) but I'm as close to that as I can be in this game. 

Maryland is missing players, timing on the field, not particularly well coached and IU this group of players loves the opportunity Saturday provides more than any other IU football team I can remember.

I'm thinking 41-17 range honestly.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My trouble is the mental adjustment we as fans are going through in the last year or so. Similar to what I experienced with my Cubs around 2015....the fans change in me as well. I'll never get to the point of automatic W with IU Football(hope I do) but I'm as close to that as I can be in this game. 

Maryland is missing players, timing on the field, not particularly well coached and IU this group of players loves the opportunity Saturday provides more than any other IU football team I can remember.

I'm thinking 41-17 range honestly.

Hopefully you didn't get too used to the Cubs winning (I'm a Cubs fan too).

I just don't see any path to Maryland victory unless we completely crap the bed. We haven't really done that under Allen, and I definitely don't see it starting now.

That score is about what I was thinking too. I'm thinking we'll win by at least 3 scores.

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Am I the only one who sees a blowout happening today? I don't think Maryland is very good to begin with, and they'll be missing quite a few players.

Plus, with us coming off a loss, I think we'll be ready to kick some ass.

Good chance of it .

I'll be happy with a win, including respectable average rushing yards per carry, less predictability on offense early in the game..Along with good enough D to lead to some Jack Tuttle and some others mop up time.

The luxury of rest might prove beneficial and key next Saturday, if Indiana is able to put itself in that position. Can't look past a Maryland team that like IU has had it's own relatively impressive recruiting success.

No reason for Indiana let Maryland have any successful new "auditions" or breakout stars today if they are having to play several newer faces due to the positive test protocols.

8 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

I'll be happy with a win, including respectable average rushing yards per carry, less predictability on offense early in the game..Along with good enough D to lead to some Jack Tuttle and some others mop up time.

Those are my 2 biggest things too. We have got to get more creative with our run game.  OSU can pound it up the middle because they usually have 4 or 5 guys who will play on Sundays. We don't have that luxury. That lack of creativity is killing our line right now. Overall I think Sheridan has done well, but his run game reminds me of DeBord's first 2 years.

I thought we had an opportunity against MSU to get Tuttle in, but we took our foot off the gas in the 2nd half. We have got to get him some meaningful playing time. We have a good enough team around him that we can still win with our backup, but not if he is pissing down his leg back there. 

The only path to a win that I could envision for Maryland looks like their offense playing out of their minds, a particularly bad passing day for Penix, and same ole little to nothing from the IU ground game production overlapping on the same day for IU.

We can talk about the Wiscy game later though.Lol 

20 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Those are my 2 biggest things too. We have got to get more creative with our run game.  OSU can pound it up the middle because they usually have 4 or 5 guys who will play on Sundays. We don't have that luxury. That lack of creativity is killing our line right now. Overall I think Sheridan has done well, but his run game reminds me of DeBord's first 2 years.

I thought we had an opportunity against MSU to get Tuttle in, but we took our foot off the gas in the 2nd half. We have got to get him some meaningful playing time. We have a good enough team around him that we can still win with our backup, but not if he is pissing down his leg back there. 

Somewhere between DeBord's years and Bill Lynch's last season albeit with a much more capable all-around offense, better QB, and a better defense supplying the luxury of slight margin for error.

The problem I have is the talent is now in place at IU across the board to field arguably the best all-around offense in the conference.Not just a one dimensional shell of what could be.

In fairness,  with Sheridan being a 1st year coordinator,  I recall Wommack's first D having a few holes when he moved over  to Defensive Coordinator..

Worked out for the better as of now, but Allen is a defense first guy so lingering concerns do exist for Sheridan's growth.

8 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

The only path to a win that I could envision for Maryland looks like their offense playing out of their minds, a particularly bad passing day for Penix, and same ole little to nothing from the IU ground game production overlapping on the same day for IU.

We can talk about the Wiscy game later though.Lol 

Somewhere between DeBord's years and Bill Lynch's last season albeit with a much more capable all-around offense, better QB, and a better defense supplying the luxury of slight margin for error.

The problem I have is the talent is now in place at IU across the board to field arguably the best all-around offense in the conference.Not just a one dimensional shell of what could be.

In fairness,  with Sheridan being a 1st year coordinator,  I recall Wommack's first D having a few holes when he moved over  to Defensive Coordinator..

Worked out for the better as of now, but Allen is a defense first guy so lingering concerns do exist for Sheridan's growth.

I remember Debord's last year that Allen was starting to call out the offense after games. You could tell he wasn't happy, and I would bet good money DeBord was going to get fired if he didn't retire.

Even though Allen was a defensive coach, he isn't someone who just looks at that side. Like Wilson was with offense. I have faith that Allen and Sheridan have talked a lot about our running game and are looking at ways to improve it. I just hope that happens this season and we don't have to wait until next year.

I will say, if Hiller decided to leave, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

23 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I remember Debord's last year that Allen was starting to call out the offense after games. You could tell he wasn't happy, and I would bet good money DeBord was going to get fired if he didn't retire.

Even though Allen was a defensive coach, he isn't someone who just looks at that side. Like Wilson was with offense. I have faith that Allen and Sheridan have talked a lot about our running game and are looking at ways to improve it. I just hope that happens this season and we don't have to wait until next year.

I'd like to see us land a back with real homerun speed.  I'm probably asking for better o-line run blocking, but man, it would be nice to have a back who could make people miss, then take off.

7 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I'd like to see us land a back with real homerun speed.  I'm probably asking for better o-line run blocking, but man, it would be nice to have a back who could make people miss, then take off.

We're bringing in Holloman who has track type speed, but not sure how much of a running back he is. I'd love to see him break away once though.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

😳😳😳😳 

Martin, Step were nobodies and he developed them. Caleb Jones came a LONG way. Dear God, no.. we do NOT want to lose Hiller. He can flat out coach. 

Bottom line is... we don't have enough talent there right now. Sales and Benson are a step in the right right direction, but have to find others. That position group.. compared to the others has a wayyy less talent. Nworah and Powell just aren't it and Katic is a RS FR. 

We are really wayyy over knit picking on the run game. That position group needed the non conference bad. 

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

😳😳😳😳 

Martin, Step were nobodies and he developed them. Caleb Jones came a LONG way. Dear God, no.. we do NOT want to lose Hiller. He can flat out coach. 

Bottom line is... we don't have enough talent there right now. Sales and Benson are a step in the right right direction, but have to find others. That position group.. compared to the others has a wayyy less talent. Nworah and Powell just aren't it and Katic is a RS FR. 

We are really wayyy over knit picking on the run game. That position group needed the non conference bad. 

I'm not saying he's bad and I want him to leave, but I don't think he's someone who can't be replaced.  Similar to how Hagen was on DL.  Didn't mean to imply I think he's not good, just that I'd like to see some things pick up.  My concern is mostly recruiting.  We have a few good guys coming in, but we've made a lot of reaches there.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm not saying he's bad and I want him to leave, but I don't think he's someone who can't be replaced.  Similar to how Hagen was on DL.  Didn't mean to imply I think he's not good, just that I'd like to see some things pick up.  My concern is mostly recruiting.  We have a few good guys coming in, but we've made a lot of reaches there.

This is really the first time I can remember not being at least average in the OL for a while though. Idk we'll see. We've got some big bodies and obviously Sales can play. Gotta find some more. I expect to find two GR TR this spring. 

Just now, btownqb said:

This is really the first time I can remember not being at least average in the OL for a while though. Idk we'll see. We've got some big bodies and obviously Sales can play. Gotta find some more. I expect to find two GR TR this spring. 

Yeah, we really need to bring in some grad transfers this spring.  Bridge the gap for another year until some guys get older.  I'm really looking at the 2022 class.  Lots of good in state OL in that class.  We need to bring in a few of them.  Love to bring in Moore in that class.  Tackle is decent, but we need some more guys inside.

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Hopefully you didn't get too used to the Cubs winning (I'm a Cubs fan too).

I just don't see any path to Maryland victory unless we completely crap the bed. We haven't really done that under Allen, and I definitely don't see it starting now.

That score is about what I was thinking too. I'm thinking we'll win by at least 3 scores.

Well two of the guys on ESPN game day just picked Maryland to win

Archived