HCTA

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

We need to keep our DC too...definitely will be big schools looking to poach him.

It will be interesting if he is looking to get into head coaching right now, or if he's wanting to stay as a defensive coordinator.  If he's wanting to stay as a DC, I think we might be able to keep him for another year or two while he waits for one of the top 10 or so big schools to open up.  If he's wanting to be a head coach like DeBoer was, who knows.  Tons of smaller schools look for head coaches every year, so those opportunities come up all the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

It will be interesting if he is looking to get into head coaching right now, or if he's wanting to stay as a defensive coordinator.  If he's wanting to stay as a DC, I think we might be able to keep him for another year or two while he waits for one of the top 10 or so big schools to open up.  If he's wanting to be a head coach like DeBoer was, who knows.  Tons of smaller schools look for head coaches every year, so those opportunities come up all the time.

Good thing is Allen is a defensive coach so we should be able to keep the defense still somewhat respectable but our defense has been really what has kick started this improvement. We’ve always had decent to sometimes good offenses so our defense flipping field position and keeping the pressure off has allowed us to be great.

17 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Mile, everyone on this board respects you! In my opinion, you are our Coach Allen!

Thank you jeff.  Quite a weekend for the mile family in terms of sports.  Not only did IU knock off Wisconsin... after going into the game as 14 point dogs.  But our local high school (Cherry Creek) added to their treasure chest of hundreds of state championships in multiple sports (written up in Sports Illustrated at one time)...by going undefeated and winning the state FB championship.  By the way. Myles (love the name)... an Iowa State commit..... never played on offense.... till the last two games of the season.  His coach...Dave Logan... who played in the NFL at one time.... said he has never seen or had a player that could excel at any position on the field.  Kind of wish IU could have gotten in on Myles Purchase.

Purchase shines as Cherry Creek downs Valor Christian for 5A football title

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We need to keep our DC too...definitely will be big schools looking to poach him.

First text I received this morning from my uncle in the Northwest. He's an IU alum but big Oregon fan. He just said we'll take IU's DC and Knight will pay whatever to improve that side of the ball. Haha. We'll just have to get used to it and it's problem I love.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Good thing is Allen is a defensive coach so we should be able to keep the defense still somewhat respectable but our defense has been really what has kick started this improvement. We’ve always had decent to sometimes good offenses so our defense flipping field position and keeping the pressure off has allowed us to be great.

And Wommack is basically running Allen's system with some of his own personality put into it.  They both learned it under Wommack's dad.  I think if we do have to bring someone in, we would be able to keep the same system and Allen could help to keep it running well.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

And Wommack is basically running Allen's system with some of his own personality put into it.  They both learned it under Wommack's dad.  I think if we do have to bring someone in, we would be able to keep the same system and Allen could help to keep it running well.

Coach Allen has said that he leaves the defensive play calling up to his assistants.  However... near the end of the Wisconsin game.... Coach Allen said he called one defensive play.

• Like 1

Allen also has these bonuses built into his contract.  Decent chance he could get an extra $500,000 or more this year.

$50,000 for being B1G coach of the year, and $100,000 for being national coach of the year.

An extra $200,000 for reaching a NY6 bowl.

$150,000 if we win the conference, and $50,000 if we win the B1G East.

$100,000 for reaching a bowl, and $50,000 for winning a bowl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Allen also has these bonuses built into his contract.  Decent chance he could get an extra $500,000 or more this year.

$50,000 for being B1G coach of the year, and $100,000 for being national coach of the year.

An extra $200,000 for reaching a NY6 bowl.

$150,000 if we win the conference, and $50,000 if we win the B1G East.

$100,000 for reaching a bowl, and $50,000 for winning a bowl.

It would be cool if Coach Allen earned all those bonuses.  And shared part of them with his assistants.  LEO

• Like 2

Just now, milehiiu said:

Coach Allen has said that he leaves the defensive play calling up to his assistants.  However... near the end of the Wisconsin game.... Coach Allen said he called one defensive play.

I think it is more the week to week stuff.  Going over the gameplan, what to do in practices, etc.  I think those things Allen has a hand in and works with Wommack a little more on.

I wonder if in the offseason Allen told Wommack to be more aggressive.  In Allen's first couple years, that was a hallmark of his defense.  Last year we didn't really have that.  Not sure if it was because Wommack was still getting used to things, but it didn't really show up a lot until the bowl game.

Just now, Leathernecks said:

The B1G coach of the year will be announced Thursday.  If anyone not named Tom Allen wins it, the conference might as well just come right out and say they don't like us.

Cannot love this enough. And we better get some love on the big ten teams too. I can think of 6-8 now that should be 1st or second team. Fry, McFadden, Johnson,Mullen for sure. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I started this thread and it needs to be resurrected.

With young men making the decision to return, and with young men making the decision to leave their schools and come to IU...

how can this fan base not cherish what CTA brings to the table?

If the powers that be ever make the decision to not pay whatever it takes to keep Allen in Bloomington, I will rescind my lifetime Alumni Club membership and forego any future contribution to the university 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
33 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I know, I know… I am bumping my own thread.

How can anyone who calls themselves a Hoosier not love what our program is evolving to? 

Whatever needs to be done, whatever amount of money needs to be spent, Dolsen better make certain that HCTA only leaves Bloomington when he is ready to retire!

Look at someone like Schianno at Rutgers; the grass isn't always greener at a perceived better situation.  What CTA is building is real, and part of what's special is he is a homegrown Hoosier that has worked his way up.

He would be just another coach with crazy expectations at Bama/Clemson/Oklahoma or another perennial power.  He is a legend if he continues to coach, recruit, and produce results on the field. Lock him up with big money!

• Like 1