HCTA

16 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Look at someone like Schianno at Rutgers; the grass isn't always greener at a perceived better situation.  What CTA is building is real, and part of what's special is he is a homegrown Hoosier that has worked his way up.

He would be just another coach with crazy expectations at Bama/Clemson/Oklahoma or another perennial power.  He is a legend if he continues to coach, recruit, and produce results on the field. Lock him up with big money!

Agree, I want him to stay for the next 20 years and become our Bobby Bowden at FSU or even Alverez at Wisc.  

• Like 5

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

Zero reason Dabo isn't 2nd. Day is AWESOME, but Dabo has 2 Nattys. 

And beaten Saban twice doing it.

No question that Saban is #1 of this generation. But like Ric Flair's famous saying goes, "To be the man...you've gotta beat the man", and Dabo has done that twice. 

That said, I think the only active coaches with national titles are Saban, Dabo, Brown, Orgeron and Jimbo. Anyone I'm not thinking of? 

Totally unrelated, but there's a name I'd toss in that list that was left off: Gus Malzahn. Has never had a losing season as a head coach, never failed to make a bowl game and his biggest "crime" is being in the same division with Nick-f***ing-Saban. A hair away from a national title in his own right, and it's pretty commonly accepted that he had more to do with Auburn's 2010 title than Chizik did. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 7:27 PM, Hoosierinbham said:

Look at someone like Schianno at Rutgers; the grass isn't always greener at a perceived better situation.  What CTA is building is real, and part of what's special is he is a homegrown Hoosier that has worked his way up.

He would be just another coach with crazy expectations at Bama/Clemson/Oklahoma or another perennial power.  He is a legend if he continues to coach, recruit, and produce results on the field. Lock him up with big money!

Just hypothetically, going 8-4, 7-5, 9-3, 8-4 with a 2-2 record in bowl games would get you unemployed at a place like Georgia or Texas. Indiana has never had 4 straight seasons with bowl appearances. I think Allen is completely capable of records like that and would turn us into a perennial top 25 program. And for the short/medium term, that's a perfectly acceptable outcome for me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Leathernecks said:

I didn't realize he was Cam Newton's bagman.

It's one thing about how Newton got there. But you've got to know how to use someone like that, and Malzahn was unquestionably in charge of the offense.

No idea if Gus was involved in the recruiting aspect or not. 

• Like 2

I find it fascinating how winning impacts our views on people's personality.

If we are all honest, we have to admit that HCTA is "different" in regards to his personality.

You know who else is "different"? Tom Crean.

I love HTCA, he should be untouchable at this point, and the guy is a winning coach and human being.

But he is every bit as quirky and odd as Tom Crean.

One is Creepy, clappy. One is infectious and engaged.

The end of the day, we can all say what we want, but really we just want our team to win, and win often.

If they win, Knight and Popovich are loveable curmudgeons. If they never won, they would be more like Mike Singletary.

You are a bit weird/quirky and lose.....you are creepy and embarrassing.

You are a bit weird/quirky and win....you are endearing, unique and your own man.

I know my argument here is surface level. It is just a rambling thought.

For me, I appreciate HCTA because he wins. And that dude 100% loves our University. He lives IU. And has made Bloomington better for all of us.  

Quirkiness and all.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This is one HELL of an endorsement. Coach Dullaghan is an absolute living legend. I've been fortunate enough to speak with him on numerous occasions... once he ripped me 😅😅. I learned sooo soo much from his camps as a football player and more importantly a person.

I loveeeeeee fooooooooootballllllllll 😆😆

(Some will know I'm saying there)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

This is one HELL of an endorsement. Coach Dullaghan is an absolute living legend. I've been fortunate enough to speak with him on numerous occasions... once he ripped me 😅😅. I learned sooo soo much from his camps as a football player and more importantly a person.

I loveeeeeee fooooooooootballllllllll 😆😆

(Some will know I'm saying there)

Dude, Tom Allen is IU Footballs RMK but better human.  I would love nothing more than play for him. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I still see CTA jogging along highway 46 in the mornings, as recently as last week.  Guy is just a bundle of energy.  I have seen him jogging the highway ever since he first came to IU.

Wouldn't surprise me if the dude just ran to work each day lol 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, on Sirius XM ESPNU radio, Ben Hartsock and Brock Huard had HCTA on for about 45 minutes between practices. First, Coach said that yesterday was one of those day--where , as Hartsock put it, he ripped 'em a new one. Sounds like one of the primary targets of his wrath was the O-line, specifically pointing out how we had the 12th rated rushing offense in the B1G last year, and essentially telling them they are gonna have to man up. 

He also used a term that neither of the hosts had heard, not have I . Coach said that the natural response when you achieve some sort of victory over an opponent on the field was to relax and loosen your chin strap. CTA instead has the mantra that when you have a victory, the team needs to tighten the chin strap. I thought this was really good, and Hartsock and Huard were eating it up. 

Also the obligatory comments on culture, LEO, the buy in of the players, and the criteria our recruiting strategy utilizes.

About the only negative to the entire segment was after CTA disconnected. Hartsock's opinion is that IU benefited last year by playing in empty stadiums, and wonders how having to play before a 100,000+ crowd in Happy Valley for example, might affect outcomes.

Still, an overall very positive 45 minutes. Every little bit helps build brand awareness. This was essentially free advertising.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yesterday, on Sirius XM ESPNU radio, Ben Hartsock and Brock Huard had HCTA on for about 45 minutes between practices. First, Coach said that yesterday was one of those day--where , as Hartsock put it, he ripped 'em a new one. Sounds like one of the primary targets of his wrath was the O-line, specifically pointing out how we had the 12th rated rushing offense in the B1G last year, and essentially telling them they are gonna have to man up. 

He also used a term that neither of the hosts had heard, not have I . Coach said that the natural response when you achieve some sort of victory over an opponent on the field was to relax and loosen your chin strap. CTA instead has the mantra that when you have a victory, the team needs to tighten the chin strap. I thought this was really good, and Hartsock and Huard were eating it up. 

Also the obligatory comments on culture, LEO, the buy in of the players, and the criteria our recruiting strategy utilizes.

About the only negative to the entire segment was after CTA disconnected. Hartsock's opinion is that IU benefited last year by playing in empty stadiums, and wonders how having to play before a 100,000+ crowd in Happy Valley for example, might affect outcomes.

Still, an overall very positive 45 minutes. Every little bit helps build brand awareness. This was essentially free advertising.

The "empty stadium" success opinion has been leveled before and the truth is many experts/analysts/talking heads aren't going to believe until IU wins big in a normal year.  And then the Hoosiers have to do it again and again and again.  Only by consistently winning will those skeptics be silenced into believing IU's football program has truly changed.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

The "empty stadium" success opinion has been leveled before and the truth is many experts/analysts/talking heads aren't going to believe until IU wins big in a normal year.  And then the Hoosiers have to do it again and again and again.  Only by consistently winning will those skeptics be silenced into believing IU's football program has truly changed.

It's crazy how many people seem to forget we went 8-4 in 2019.  At Nebraska in 2019 was a pretty big win, even though they were a pretty average team that year.  This team is much more talented and deeper than our 2019 team too.  Like you said, have to keep winning until people start expecting us to win.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don't think crowd size will matter. Yeah, I didn't play in front of alot of people, but when you are on the floor,or field you focus on the game 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

It's crazy how many people seem to forget we went 8-4 in 2019.  At Nebraska in 2019 was a pretty big win, even though they were a pretty average team that year.  This team is much more talented and deeper than our 2019 team too.  Like you said, have to keep winning until people start expecting us to win.

You can cut it however you want. We're 14-7 the last 21 games and two of those losses are OSU. 

100K ppl? We played UM and PSU at HOME lol.. we whipped UM, so whatever I guess. 

The chances of us coming away from Iowa, Michigan, and Sandusky U with 3 wins is not very high, at all. None of that changes the course we're on AT ALL. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

You can cut it however you want. We're 14-7 the last 21 games and two of those losses are OSU. 

100K ppl? We played UM and PSU at HOME lol.. we whipped UM, so whatever I guess. 

The chances of us coming away from Iowa, Michigan, and Sandusky U with 3 wins is not very high, at all. None of that changes the course we're on AT ALL. 

All that matters is we win in Iowa. It will set the tone for the season and could be the foundation to a 10-win season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I think he was referring to us having to play at PSU and UM this year, and with a full house, that might make a difference in the outcomes of these upcoming games.

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I think he was referring to us having to play at PSU and UM this year, and with a full house, that might make a difference in the outcomes of these upcoming games.

He said we benefitted from empty stadiums... that comment doesn't make sense, at all. We won those games at home. The size of the Big House and Happy Valley is irrelevant. Those games were played in Bloomington.