Will this season be finished

IU Scott

I just went to ESPN.com and there are more and more games already getting cancelled.  I am wondering if this season will ever get going and finish the year.

Also what is depressing is that today we should have been watching the first IU game in Maui.  Today would have been the opening of the Maui classic if everything started on time.

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Once it became evident a vaccine was going to be available late this year or early next year, they should have looked into a February-April schedule, with the tournament in early May.

From what I have heard that the vaccines at first will be for first responders and the elderly.  It won't be out for the general public until maybe April of next year.  I would doubt that college basketball players will be determined essential workers.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

From what I have heard that the vaccines at first will be for first responders and the elderly.  It won't be out for the general public until maybe April of next year.  I would doubt that college basketball players will be determined essential workers.

Ahhhh.  But if first responders and elderly get the vaccine, the numbers go way down.  Plus, a lot of the restrictions in place right now will not be as necessary if the most vulnerable have been taken care of.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Ahhhh.  But if first responders and elderly get the vaccine, the numbers go way down.  Plus, a lot of the restrictions in place right now will not be as necessary if the most vulnerable have been taken care of.

I don't know about that because it seems like a lot of athletes on college campuses are getting the virus. Last time I checked there are not many elderly people on college campus

Can’t tell if you’re asking if the season is finished, or if the NCAA will move forward to finish the season?

Covid is bad right now, and it’s definitely possible they’ll delay the start of various conference seasons and/or tourneys and will push March Madness back. 

But seems very unlikely the season will be cancelled again. We do have vaccines that will be available generally (more likely by March if not sooner). The teams etc are already taking protocols seriously and games are without live fans. And yes there is the financial viability of not just the NCAA but colleges at stake. The season will go forward, delayed or not 

Starting the season now puts the season more at risk to a spotty complete schedule and full of cancellations.  However I think in the end the games will go on.

I have to agree it seems to me that a Feb start into May would have made more sense on a lot of levels.  I think the NBA is going to have an even harder time coming back sans bubble.

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Just saw on ITH that the head couch for our first opponent tested positive. Sigh. 

I just want to see some IU basketball. 

Not what I wanted to hear.  I know the story said the game would go on.  But, how?  It's hard to believe the head coach could have successfully social distanced from the rest of the team and coaching staff.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not what I wanted to hear.  I know the story said the game would go on.  But, how?  It's hard to believe the head coach could have successfully social distanced from the rest of the team and coaching staff.

That was exactly my thought too. How can they be certain that others aren’t positive or will test positive?

7 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

That was exactly my thought too. How can they be certain that others aren’t positive or will test positive?

Guess we will find out soon. As soon as they arrive in town they are going to take a rapid test and then another rapid test tomorrow. Any positive out of that be confirmed by the PCR test. 

To answer the OP, yes the season will finish. The real question is, how many games will be played before it's finished.

IMO, as students leave for the holidays, and for many extended holidays, the numbers should start going down. The goal is to get to the finish line, which is the tournament. That's the cash cow for the NCAA and for the schools. With so much money having been lost over the last year, I think that schools and conferences should be doing whatever it takes, including a lighter regular season schedule, to hold the tournament. Scheduling needs to be flexible. Schools need to have the ability to change game dates and/or opponents with no interference from powers that be. 

As, hopefully, the vaccines become available, this kind of finagling becomes less of an issue.

I'll echo others. Will the season finish? Absolutely. Is it going to be a smooth year...nope. Will the Big 10 title winner likely be determined by how many players don't miss games because of testing positive? Probably. 

I'm just going to sit back and expect the turbulence and just trust the jet will eventually find the tarmac. 

I was listening to Bozich yesterday and he had a good point for not delaying the season. Right now most (if not all) college campuses in the BigTen are not in session; therefore it will be easier for B1G teams to distance themselves. This combined with the frequent testing should decrease their chances of not having to cancel games against other B1G teams. The wild card is the smaller schools from smaller conferences like Tennessee Tech who don't have the money or ability to test frequently and have looser guidelines. 

Put me in the boat that this season will not get cancelled. Money will keep it going. 

Where things will get really ugly is if a team has to shut it down during the NCAA tournament.  We could see a team get a bye into the Final Four if their Elite Eight opponent has positive cases.  And, would the NCAA consider delaying the Championship or Semi-Final matchups if one of the Final Four teams has cases?

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Where things will get really ugly is if a team has to shut it down during the NCAA tournament.  We could see a team get a bye into the Final Four if their Elite Eight opponent has positive cases.  And, would the NCAA consider delaying the Championship or Semi-Final matchups if one of the Final Four teams has cases?

I think those two sets of games would be the only ones they would consider delaying. I think all other games they would just wash their hands of and say oh well. 

I think the endgame - NCAA tournament in some shape or fashion - will always be the number one priority of the NCAA and conference affiliates.  So, yes, I believe the season will be completed.  But I think there are going to be many speed bumps along the way.  Until we get a widely distributed vaccine game cancellations will be the norm.  Most teams will be fortunate to play 20 games.  I also think there is a good chance for a delayed, truncated tournament.  Something like 32 teams played in April or May.  Sounds like the plan for 1 metropolitan area as host is already the initial plan, which also makes sense.  

Archived