Archie Radio Show

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I didn’t listen to the radio show tonight, but found a Twitter thread that provides the highlights:

After three years here, Archie definitely has the underpromise part down.  Now it’s time to figure out the overdeliver part.

I am sure he is seeing all the teams already shutting down and cancelling games.  I have to wonder how many games will actually be played this year.  I think they said to make the tournament you will have to play at least 15 games.  I have to wonder if there will be enough teams that will play that many games.

Quotes I found from his show

Miller: "Khristian... people forget he graduated early at 17 yrs old... getting better. Learning how to play harder, more physically."
He notes how different the game is for Lander from HS to college. Also said he hit 4 3's in the scrimmage from 'multiple feet out'. #iub

Miller: "Jordan... he is probably the most talented guy I have recruited in a long time."
Noted he is still learning and developing a well-rounded game. Also talked about his ability to guard multiple positions. #iubb

Miller: "Trey... ball dominant, very shifty with the drive... maybe our best drive

Miller: "(Anthony) shoots it... very, very intelligent guy. He put himself in position... we are going to trust him." #iubb

Miller: "The unique guy on this team, shooting the ball is Jerome... he showed that last year... we need him to make 3's. If he can start the season off more consistent, that will help." #iubb

Miller: "Rob is a much more confident offensive player... healthy." #iubb

Miller continues to emphasize the spacing, shooting, ball handling. Talks about the new addition of ball screens and ability to have more freedom in the offense. #iub

Miller: "Spacing is going to be a lot different. This year's team is a lot more perimeter oriented."
Notes the amount of ball handlers/ability to stretch the floor with this lineup. #iubb

Miller notes that worries with the defensive rebounding. Says this team is a bit smaller than last year. #iubb

Miller: "I think this team can be a very good team cohesive, chemistry wise" #iubb

Hunter: "This team is very close knit. Workers... committed to being good. The signs are all there to being a good team." #iubb

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The quote that surprised me was the one about Jordan being the most talented guy he has recruited in a long time ?

Yeah that popped out to me too. Archie has really gone out of his way to compliment Jordan for months.  I think we all hope he’s going to follow in the footsteps of Oladipo and OG.  

Everyone is gun shy about IU because they haven’t shown anything in five years.  But if we get some out of a couple of freshmen, I don’t see why this can’t be a very solid team that’s competitive at the top of the conference. 

Lander is young for his class and Archie was candid about some issues there.  But he’s a precocious talent.  Jordan’s defense alone brings value.  Galloway has been tough in practice.  Leal can shoot and is a rugged defender.   If those guys can add value, this team has the components.

Archie will have to scour the transfer market for a skilled big man to come in if Trayce leaves though.  

I would love to see Archie get this thing pointed in the right direction. That would be a boon headed into 2022 recruiting.  He gets a good class then and the trajectory is on track despite losing a couple of significant targets this year.  

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yeah that popped out to me too. Archie has really gone out of his way to compliment Jordan for months.  I think we all hope he’s going to follow in the footsteps of Oladipo and OG.  

Everyone is gun shy about IU because they haven’t shown anything in five years.  But if we get some out of a couple of freshmen, I don’t see why this can’t be a very solid team that’s competitive at the top of the conference. 

Lander is young for his class and Archie was candid about some issues there.  But he’s a precocious talent.  Jordan’s defense alone brings value.  Galloway has been tough in practice.  Leal can shoot and is a rugged defender.   If those guys can add value, this team has the components.

Archie will have to scour the transfer market for a skilled big man to come in if Trayce leaves though.  

I would love to see Archie get this thing pointed in the right direction. That would be a boon headed into 2022 recruiting.  He gets a good class then and the trajectory is on track despite losing a couple of significant targets this year.  

I hope he looks at the Yale transfer who was the Ivy league player of the year last year.  He is 6'10 and averaged like 17 and 8

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There's something about this freshmen class that gives me a 2010 (Vic/Sheehey) and 2015 (Bryant/OG/Morgan) vibe. The players are completely different but just the impact this class can have. I'm not sure it will as early as an impact right away, but it feels like this will end up being an important class. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

There's something about this freshmen class that gives me a 2010 (Vic/Sheehey) and 2015 (Bryant/OG/Morgan) vibe. The players are completely different but just the impact this class can have. I'm not sure it will as early as an impact right away, but it feels like this will end up being an important class. 

I love their attitude and how they all seem like they will be tough minded players.  Of course you want talented players but I also put a lot of emphasis on players who are tough as nails and make players around them better.

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Miller: "Khristian... people forget he graduated early at 17 yrs old... getting better. Learning how to play harder, more physically."
He notes how different the game is for Lander from HS to college. Also said he hit 4 3's in the scrimmage from 'multiple feet out'. #iub

Miller: "Jordan... he is probably the most talented guy I have recruited in a long time."
Noted he is still learning and developing a well-rounded game. Also talked about his ability to guard multiple positions. #iubb

Miller: "Trey... ball dominant, very shifty with the drive... maybe our best drive

Miller: "(Anthony) shoots it... very, very intelligent guy. He put himself in position... we are going to trust him." #iubb

Miller: "The unique guy on this team, shooting the ball is Jerome... he showed that last year... we need him to make 3's. If he can start the season off more consistent, that will help." #iubb

Miller continues to emphasize the spacing, shooting, ball handling. Talks about the new addition of ball screens and ability to have more freedom in the offense. #iub

Miller: "Spacing is going to be a lot different. This year's team is a lot more perimeter oriented."
Notes the amount of ball handlers/ability to stretch the floor with this lineup. #iubb

Miller notes that worries with the defensive rebounding. Says this team is a bit smaller than last year. #iubb

Miller: "I think this team can be a very good team cohesive, chemistry wise" #iubb

Hunter: "This team is very close knit. Workers... committed to being good. The signs are all there to being a good team." #iubb

Really appreciate your contribution of this, Scott.  Good information.  Thanks!

The quote that surprised me was the one about Jordan being the most talented guy he has recruited in a long time ?

Didn't surprise me --

as I've posted here a couple of times, in his case I do have a truly legit inside guy -- my friend who scouted Vic, at the same age at DeMatha, and Geronimo, and says that Geronimo is better than Vic at the same age -- and he was extremely high on Vic and correctly projected how good he would be at IU. I'm telling you guys, this kid is really good and he has the exceptional wing length, athleticism, defensive instincts and development, body, and drive to be really, really good.

The quote that I was most happy to see is that one about Jerome being the unique guy, shooting the ball, and that CAM says we need him to make threes. That is exactly right and implies he'll be given the chance to shoot a lot more from the outside, that's important to this team's ability to compete.

The second one was the one about Rob being "healthy" and a much more confident offensive player. If Rob is healthy and attacking, this team is a lot better.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So many good quotes. I'm going with these.

Best drive and uber competitive and a Freshman? Hopefully Jordan will be out Vic and Galloway will be our Sheehey. 

Regarding spacing.......that will be a welcome site. (a huge understatement)

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Didn't surprise me --

as I've posted here a couple of times, in his case I do have a truly legit inside guy -- my friend who scouted Vic, at the same age at DeMatha, and Geronimo, and says that Geronimo is better than Vic at the same age -- and he was extremely high on Vic and correctly projected how good he would be at IU. I'm telling you guys, this kid is really good and he has the exceptional wing length, athleticism, defensive instincts and development, body, and drive to be really, really good.

Let's hope we get 3 years from him, like we did Vic. 

18 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I didn’t listen to the radio show tonight, but found a Twitter thread that provides the highlights:

After three years here, Archie definitely has the underpromise part down.  Now it’s time to figure out the overdeliver part.

So your take away from all that discussion is that he underpromused? By saying he wants to start getting games in and the schedule may be choppy?

Archived