Archie Radio Show

Great job Scott! Appreciate your efforts.

Geronimo!!! I think what coach said about Jordan is probably the best compliment any coach can give to his players. I'll take his words as he talked about Jordan's raw skills and his potential/ceiling rather than coach expects Jordan would contribute right away. He may contribute to certain extent, but we'd see his game blossoming next few years. He could be a next Oladipo. Only bigger and taller. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i had heard rumors that Lander has been struggling a little.  that comment CAM made about him could be eluding to the fact that he's not ready yet.  that would be disappointing and i'd still be surprised if he didn't start right away, BUT... if he doesn't, i could definitely see a lineup of RP, AL, Hunter, Brunk/Thompson, and TJD

8 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i had heard rumors that Lander has been struggling a little.  that comment CAM made about him could be eluding to the fact that he's not ready yet.  that would be disappointing and i'd still be surprised if he didn't start right away, BUT... if he doesn't, i could definitely see a lineup of RP, AL, Hunter, Brunk/Thompson, and TJD

I did hear that Lander did hit 4 3's in the scrimmage.  We ad fans needs to be patient with Lander and not expect greatness right away.

22 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Obviously I have zero inside info, but I got the same impression from coach's comments on Lander. I guess that's why he pointed that Lander is only 17 years old. I think coach also wanted to temper fans' too high expectations on Lander. I don't worry about Lander at all; he's got all the tools to become a really good player. He's just too young and maybe physically not ready at this point, but the beauty is he's practicing and competing with/against older teammates, which would accelerate his growth as a player. 

18 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The quote that surprised me was the one about Jordan being the most talented guy he has recruited in a long time ?

Thanks for putting this together and I agree about Geronimo. Time will tell if he's our next Vic but early indicators suggest there is a ton of upside and freak athleticism. 

47 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I don't know about anybody else, but Archie's comments on the 4 freshmen kinda sounded to me like Leal and Galloway are the 2 most college ready, both physically and mentally basketball wise.

29 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Obviously I have zero inside info, but I got the same impression from coach's comments on Lander. I guess that's why he pointed that Lander is only 17 years old. I think coach also wanted to temper fans' too high expectations on Lander. I don't worry about Lander at all; he's got all the tools to become a really good player. He's just too young and maybe physically not ready at this point, but the beauty is he's practicing and competing with/against older teammates, which would accelerate his growth as a player. 

Over on the "Game 1 Starters" thread Lander is in about 70% of the guesses. Mine included.

So yeah, me and a few others probably need to temper the expectations a little.

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

Agree completely. While I would love for him to be "ready" as I think it elevates the ceiling for this team, this is still the first time in four years that Archie has two true point guards on the roster, so even if Lander is the backup it's still a luxury Archie hasn't had before and Lander still brings a new dynamic. 

CAM's comments were fairly revealing. Regardless who starts, need to keep in mind these guys haven't even had an exhibition game, which is of course very unusual, and we're going to see a number of lineups for the coaches to test who plays well together and who doesn't, etc. Also thought it was interesting to hear CAM say his top 3 3-point shooters consistently are Al, Rob and Hunter. Rob turning into one of the top 3-point shooters will definitely spread the floor, that's encouraging. Regardless who starts in this early first game, I still think Lander starts at some point. However, also good to hear Franklin has put on somewhere between 12-15 pounds. The kid was already tough. I'd expect him to impact the game a lot more with another 12-14 pound of muscle.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Over on the "Game 1 Starters" thread Lander is in about 70% of the guesses. Mine included.

So yeah, me and a few others probably need to temper the expectations a little.

I'm one that thought he would start from day 1. I expected him to have growing pains but to be good enough to start in a 3 guard lineup at the beginning of the season. Sounds like that isn't the case. I still think that it'll click for him by the end of the season.

23 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I'm one that thought he would start from day 1. I expected him to have growing pains but to be good enough to start in a 3 guard lineup at the beginning of the season. Sounds like that isn't the case. I still think that it'll click for him by the end of the season.

I will still be surprised if he doesn’t start. But considering he reclassified and we have two veteran points in Rob and Franklin to go with Al and that CAM really values experience it’s not that bad a thing if they work Lander into starting a bit slower

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I will still be surprised if he doesn’t start. But considering he reclassified and we have two veteran points in Rob and Franklin to go with Al and that CAM really values experience it’s not that bad a thing if they work Lander into starting a bit slower

Not to nit-pick, but I've never considered Franklin a point guard. Can he handle some ball handling duties? Sure. But he's not a point guard. 

50 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not to nit-pick, but I've never considered Franklin a point guard. Can he handle some ball handling duties? Sure. But he's not a point guard. 

He’s a combo guard, I’m being general - he’s clearly one of the ball handlers and CAM considers him with the others with that responsibility. He also puts Al there as Al is clearly a ball handler, though not a point. You can’t call Franklin a shooting guard though either, it’s probably not a distinction that matters 

Archived