Big Ten 2020-2021

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It's not simply three-point shooting. In the Neb game Neb sagged off guys like Galloway and Race, and then, as planned, got out running on the break off the long misses. They also spread out their offense on the other end. Teams are beating the pack line not by just hoisting 3's, but by going 4 or 5-out which spreads out the pack line and opens lanes. Hell I learned that coaching youth basketball, it's a traditional way to play against the pack line, in youth basketball it's touted as positionless ball to help teach all players how to move the ball on offense. This isn't a criticism of the pack line, Bennet, Sean Miller et al run it, it's just that the way the players extend/move within the pack line to adjust to spread offenses is something they have to adjust to.

In your opinion, what is the best defense?   What would you run with this IU team?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

In your opinion, what is the best defense?   What would you run with this IU team?

Best D? Completely depends on the coaching system and team. I'm fine with CAM's D -- It's a top 15 D. But we have to adjust better to 4 and 5-out spread offenses, we have to learn how to extend the pack line better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Best D? Completely depends on the coaching system and team. I'm fine with CAM's D -- It's a top 15 D. But we have to adjust better to 4 and 5-out spread offenses, we have to learn how to extend the pack line better.

I think you need at least 3 different defensive schemes.  A solid man to man you can switch too as needed.  The Pack Line is fine and some sort of easy Zone to throw at them. 

I have never coached so this might not be reaosnable to ask of a team but i think everyone can at least play a Man to Man along with the Pack Line.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I still think that was a bad loss. We were the better team but anytime you let a game be that close a guy can get hot late and all bets are then off. We shouldn’t have been in that position to give him a chance to carry them across the finish line.

I'll say this...I think we're a better team than we were then, and I also believe Northwestern has regressed...

When only one starter has scored 24 minutes into a ballgame, there's something wrong...

Boo Buie hasn't scored a FG in 2 1/2 games...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

I know no one else will feel this way but I feel sorry for Brooks. Kid just doesn’t fit in there. He is team oriented and seems to be a nice kid. That team is just generally selfish and not a leader among them. He really got bamboozeled by Cal and his parents. I guarantee he would have been happier here and in a much better position to help his NBA stock.

I don't disagree with your take and I do have some empathy for the kid.  It's the adult in the room saying "Time to be SELFISH!" that I have some contempt for.  The kid is a teenager so it's not surprised he is easily misled by a smooth-talking salesman talking about those NBA millions.  The adult with significant life experience should have asked more questions and been a little more skeptical.

Cal has always had a slick pitch, but as his talent pool has become more diluted, he's gotten exposed as a tactician and talent developer.  Slick recruiter, yes.  Actual coach and developer...I don't think he's anything special there.  Lots of coaches could have his record if they had his talent.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know we have our game tonight but anyone think our game at Sparty Sunday happens? Selfishly I wouldn't mind playing them later so we can get Armaan back at full strength and some of our other guys can rest some lingering injuries.

Good and bad.  The later the season, the better Izzo’s teams get. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BDB said:

Good and bad.  The later the season, the better Izzo’s teams get. 

Understand and probably should have added. Is it better for us to go up there now possibly minus Armaan....or later in season when we hope to be fully healthy? Tough one for sure. I'm sure Izzo isn't in a hurry to play now. Seems like Sparty needs a season reset. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Understand and probably should have added. Is it better for us to go up there now possibly minus Armaan....or later in season when we hope to be fully healthy? Tough one for sure. I'm sure Izzo isn't in a hurry to play now. Seems like Sparty needs a season reset. 

I've watched them 5 or 6 times, and while their defense is ok (not the Sparty defense of days gone by, by any means) they don't have that tough streak like teams of the past...They lose the 50-50 balls, and they don't have a consistent point guard...Watts is too flighty, and Loyer just isn't a B1G guard...can't afford to have him out there for long stretches because he gets exposed defensively...Henry tries, but they ask way to much of him...And Lankford killed them (along with the officials) against Purdue...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I know we have our game tonight but anyone think our game at Sparty Sunday happens? Selfishly I wouldn't mind playing them later so we can get Armaan back at full strength and some of our other guys can rest some lingering injuries.

You also don't know what later in the season might being for injuries or exhaustion either.  I would rather play them now with us playing fairly well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'll say this...I think we're a better team than we were then, and I also believe Northwestern has regressed...

When only one starter has scored 24 minutes into a ballgame, there's something wrong...

Boo Buie hasn't scored a FG in 2 1/2 games...

Let him play against us and he will hit everything he throws up there. 

• Haha 1

Well watching Rutgers and UW made me realize we are not the only bad offensive teams. With under 63 to go in the game UW is up 49-44.  The Rutgers being a top team is going by the wayside because they are not looking good at all.  In this game UW is 5-20 from 3 and Rutgers is 2-15.  I know we have not played well but take away Iowa, UM and UI none of the other teams in the league is that good.  Rutgers on offense is disjointed and to much one on one play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well watching Rutgers and UW made me realize we are not the only bad offensive teams. With under 63 to go in the game UW is up 49-44.  The Rutgers being a top team is going by the wayside because they are not looking good at all.  In this game UW is 5-20 from 3 and Rutgers is 2-15.  I know we have not played well but take away Iowa, UM and UI none of the other teams in the league is that good.  Rutgers on offense is disjointed and to much one on one play.

Yet I’m not sure we will beat either one of those teams...so what does that say about us? I’m sick of hearing Archie carry on and on about our defense. Sure we can play better sometimes on defense...but let’s be real...if you struggle to score 70pts a game it doesn’t matter how good your defense is you aren’t going to win enough games to be successful at IU. Maybe drop the defense crap and just have a week focused on offensive execution and shooting. He has this defense engrained in their brain no doubt...how about we improve what we suck at. 

53 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yet I’m not sure we will beat either one of those teams...so what does that say about us? I’m sick of hearing Archie carry on and on about our defense. Sure we can play better sometimes on defense...but let’s be real...if you struggle to score 70pts a game it doesn’t matter how good your defense is you aren’t going to win enough games to be successful at IU. Maybe drop the defense crap and just have a week focused on offensive execution and shooting. He has this defense engrained in their brain no doubt...how about we improve what we suck at. 

It’s like as an institution IU overcompensated, from all O and little D, CTC, to all D and little O CAM. Lol, I’m exaggerating... but maybe not much. It’s really how we underemphasize the arc and how the shooting is imbalanced right now. Having AF return and immediately take 15 shots for 14 points while guys like Hunter and Leal, both coming on strong coming into the game, get taken mostly out of the offense (Hunter had only 3 shots until late - and that despite that he was 2-3 from deep) really limits our O and once again the team struggled to score. What I see is not players failing to execute but a limited offensive game plan focusing heavily on pushing the ball inside to TJD and not balancing 3-point shooting. Meanwhile PU lights us up from the arc 

• Like 1