Big Ten 2020-2021

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well watching Rutgers and UW made me realize we are not the only bad offensive teams. With under 63 to go in the game UW is up 49-44.  The Rutgers being a top team is going by the wayside because they are not looking good at all.  In this game UW is 5-20 from 3 and Rutgers is 2-15.  I know we have not played well but take away Iowa, UM and UI none of the other teams in the league is that good.  Rutgers on offense is disjointed and to much one on one play.

I feel for how up and down you are Scott.  I fear this team is going to keep you that way.  You fight relentlessly to be positive and make everyone do the same, then we look absolutely awful and you get all negative, then you see bad bball from other teams and say this.  Seems like this is about the 3rd cycle of this this year.  I'm sure it's draining.  I think you're a little right in that those teams have their flaws and aren't untouchable, but my logic in not having as much hope as you is that those teams are pretty much inarguably better than the 3 teams we have struggled to beat.  The 2 losses that caused the most meltdown on this board were home to Purdue by 11 and home vs NW.  Again, in theory those are the 2 weakest teams we have left on our schedule and we play at their place this time.  You can definitely argue that Rutgers and MSU are beatable and not as good as NW and Purdue, but they are definitely better than the team we beat by 2 in 2OTs at home, the team we beat by 8 at home, and the team we beat by 8 on the road.    

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

OSU is up 37-19 at UI with 5 to go in the first half.  It seems like UI has problems in the first half then Underwood usually explodes on them then comes back in the second half.

That’s without both PGs.  Pretty impressive.  I remember having the discussion wether holtman or Miller was better when they both were hired.....🤦‍♂️

Just now, IU Scott said:

With 6  minutes to go Minnesota is up 20-12.  I just turned this game on and can't believe Michigan only has 12 points.  Also after 10 minutes UK is up 9-7 against Auburn.  What is it with offenses in some of these games.

Its really a problem across almost all of college basketball. It's not just an IU thing. 

My big thing is why these guys can't shoot? Not just IU, across college basketball. Maybe the 3pt line moving back a couple years ago?

But its bad. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

Its really a problem across almost all of college basketball. It's not just an IU thing. 

My big thing is why these guys can't shoot? Not just IU, across college basketball. Maybe the 3pt line moving back a couple years ago?

But its bad. 

The worst thing to happen to college basketball offenses was lowering the shot clock to 30 seconds.  I know most won't agree but the best was having it at 45 seconds.  To me it gives teams enough time to get into an offense and can swing ball side to side a few times.  It also eliminates teams stalling the last few minutes of the game.  Actually the pace and scoring were higher before shot clock was even implemented.   I think the stereotype of basketball before the shot clock was a slow down game where teams held the ball but that is just a myth.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

UI just got screwed by the officials.  They cut it to 2 and OSU was inbounding the ball and they got it in but the OSU player stepped on the line but no call.  Instead of having the ball down 2 they fouled and OSU hit free throws to win 87-81

Not sure why that’s not a reviewable play under 2 minutes 

I thought I remembered a comment from Underwood about building a statue for Ayo if he comes back. If I'm an Illini fan I'd ask my coach why Kofi goes 8-10 last game and 7-7 today....but doesn't get more looks. Seems to me Ayo needs to make sure he gets his 20+ on 20+ shots every game. Almost doing his best Carsen Edwards imitation. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

Minnesota up 30-23 at the half and the teams combined to go 2-20 from 3

Yup, its not just IU. Doesn't mean I like it, but for some reason college basketball has a shooting problem. 

This is why I dont get the people that say college basketball is better than the NBA. I understand enjoying the pomp and circumstance of college basketball, but how do people enjoy watching guys brick wide open shots and struggle to score 65 points for 40 minutes?

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

Yup, its not just IU. Doesn't mean I like it, but for some reason college basketball has a shooting problem. 

This is why I dont get the people that say college basketball is better than the NBA. I understand enjoying the pomp and circumstance of college basketball, but how do people enjoy watching guys brick wide open shots and struggle to score 65 points for 40 minutes?

I still haven't ever got this question answered.  Why has coaches gone to this style of offense and why do they think this is the most efficient way of playing.  To me offense are to stagnant with a lack of player movement and ball movement.  To me the most efficient offense was when the team moved the ball by the pass and not the dribble.

Like I said I watch a lot of old games and can't understand why that style wouldn't work today.  Teams used the whole half court for their offense and scored at all levels.  Again I blame analytics some because it is dead wrong that only shooting 3's and layups is the most efficient way to play.  When I think being efficient I think of making scoring easier and scoring more points.   The thing is that scoring is way down along with shooting.  In the older games the only bad shots taken were by choice and not because the shot clock running down.  In those older games with the 45 second clock there were never those bad shots at the end of the clock.

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

I still haven't ever got this question answered.  Why has coaches gone to this style of offense and why do they think this is the most efficient way of playing.  To me offense are to stagnant with a lack of player movement and ball movement.  To me the most efficient offense was when the team moved the ball by the pass and not the dribble.

Like I said I watch a lot of old games and can't understand why that style wouldn't work today.  Teams used the whole half court for their offense and scored at all levels.  Again I blame analytics some because it is dead wrong that only shooting 3's and layups is the most efficient way to play.  When I think being efficient I think of making scoring easier and scoring more points.   The thing is that scoring is way down along with shooting.  In the older games the only bad shots taken were by choice and not because the shot clock running down.  In those older games with the 45 second clock there were never those bad shots at the end of the clock.

I think its largely because of the salaries. These guys make so much money and have so much scrutiny on them that I think they feel they have to micro-manage every aspect of the game. 

It's caused everything to be so robotic, and the coaches to over-coach every aspect of the game. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I actually totally agree with you.  I will also add that players used to play to their strengths.  Try to get shots from where they shot high percentages.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I think its largely because of the salaries. These guys make so much money and have so much scrutiny on them that I think they feel they have to micro-manage every aspect of the game. 

It's caused everything to be so robotic, and the coaches to over-coach every aspect of the game. 

Coaches totally micro manages everything and it is killing the game.  I guess when the players keep getting younger and younger they don't trust the players.  I wonder since these players play with little structure during AAU it makes it harder for the players to learn actually offense.

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I actually totally agree with you.  I will also add that players used to play to their strengths.  Try to get shots from where they shot high percentages.  

I guess we are all to old school and can't adapt to the new style.  the thing is I would adapt if I thought the product was good and it worked but it doesn't.  I like watching Gonzaga and Iowa because they play fast and can shoot the ball and don't just run the pick and role or dribble drive.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Coaches totally micro manages everything and it is killing the game.  I guess when the players keep getting younger and younger they don't trust the players.  I wonder since these players play with little structure during AAU it makes it harder for the players to learn actually offense.

I think its all of the above. Its the salaries causing so much pressure. Its having to rely on freshmen and sophomores, and the seniors you do rely on were bench players 30 years ago and in today's game their starters. Its the general move away from motion offense at all levels, everyone trying to play dribble-drive and ball screen, etc., etc. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I see where they say the big ten is the best conference by far and the deepest.  I see it as the deepest but is it have the best teams.  I say the top 3 teams are very good but teams 4-13 are just average at best.

I guess OSU and Minnesota is making this opinion look bad